Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: For dev team - Phyre Engine

I had always thought that Phyre Engine would evolve into Sony's version of XNA. I think the dev team back then did so too, considering some of the comments in the interview, but we never seem to have gotten that far. 

I don't think it would be a good idea to switch now however. Sony needs to commit strongly to getting the basics and features of PS Suite right, and then perhaps some optimisation efforts can be made in order to make Phyre Engine style optimisations for various devices?

As it is I am already a bit worried by how relatively quiet these forums seem in terms of users, views, kudos assigned, etc. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13 (463 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I do find it a bit shocking too, how quite things are around here.  I am wondering if Sony needs to do a bit of a PR blitz to get people aware of the SDK in general.  I've not seen a single ad or article on the PS SDK since the Beta was announced.  These forums aren't exceedingly busy and the PSS reddit is almost a ghost town.  

It's a shame if its all just a matter of lack of exposure, because the tech is good and the potential is great.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13 (449 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I believe the PSS team is being too secretive and there isn't enough device support.

A lot of the PSS code is obstensibly open source but Sony keeps all progress on it hidden. Imagine if they made weekly commits to this open source code and posted about it on a blog and/or twitter. Imagine if the docs were improved in real time on a development server.

It's a complete shame that the Galaxy S3 isn't PSS certified. $99/year to sell stuff on the Xperia and Vita isn't a great proposition.

I knew more about what was coming in .Net 4.5 a year ago than I know about what is coming in the next version of PSS. The road map included with the SDK is perfunctory at best.

If MonoTouch and Mono for Android had hobbyist-friendly pricing, PSS would be dead.

Edit: imagine if Sony posted weekly status updates showing benchmarks of PSS running on the Vita, showing how performance was being improved and discussing what bugs were causing the slowdowns.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13 (445 Views)
0 Kudos