m0usshak3

33%
02 Rank
Progress

GoW3, did it meet your expectations? *spoilers*

30 Replies 2,068 Views Created 26-03-2010
26 Mar 2010
By m0usshak3

In my humble opinion, I wish Cory Barlog stayed on board for GoW3...this game had a mountain of potential to seriously shock it's own genre and be the best game ever.

-First Gods you take out are Poseidon and Hades!? I mean they're like brothers to Zeus and they should be top priority right before Zeus.

-3 weapons with/involving chains? I fell in love with the Cestus's but GoW2 nailed it with a bad ass sword, huge hammer doing colossal damage (which also added to your Rage meter), a staff to fend off multiple enemies and of course the original chains. A VARIETY is always better.

-Combos needed a complete re-work, they needed to be so much more Epic and crazy. I love the new heavy combo, but not much difference in the chains besides a couple new moves.

-The story felt like it was pulling from different directions and wasn't emphasised during the game of it's importance, it should have been kept simple but significant. Your goals were just mentioned once or twice and then gameplay. It needed rock hard foundation e.g. In GoW2 when you finally reach the Sisters of Fate, it was EPIC and f*** me what a boss fight! easily better than any boss fight in GoW3. How about when you're murdered by Zeus in the begining and then saved by Gaia, it was all new to us and it was a solid reason why you lost all your powers and had to start again from zero. In GoW3 it happened too fast and with a cheap reason, the souls from the river styx stole your powers?

-No Linda Hunt voicing Gaia? = Fail. No Atlas? = Fail. No more bonus play? = Fail. Boots of hermes? = FAIL. No heavy interactions between Titan vs God fights? = Fail.

Don't get me wrong I'm a die hard fan, I was going nuts to play this and bought a ps3 soley for this game but I feel like GoW2 set the bar and GoW3 didn't put out enough to topple it. Perhaps it was hard with double the team developing it, and an art director thrown in the deep end to game director but who knows. Just wish that bloody Barlog could have hung around for just one more!! Thoughts?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

gtarmanrob

80%
02 Rank
Progress
gtarmanrob
Accepted Solution

just finished this game yesterday. epic game, loved every minute of it. did it meet my expectations? yeah i think it did, i only just got into GoW so my expectations were simply bigger game, better graphics, and more Kratos. got all that.

but personally i think GoW 2 was easily the best of the series, for story, gameplay, everything all up.

0 Kudos

Re: GoW3, did it meet your expectations? *spoilers*

"Wait, we can't stop here. This is bat country..."

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TEABAGNEMESIS

• Beta Tester
86%
05 Rank
Progress
TEABAGNEMESIS
Accepted Solution

Did it meet my expectations? In a word - no.

In a few words -

gow1... Set a dark tone, the bada$$ ***** who was a servant to the gods no more, the epic adventure to find the mythical box that held a power so great that it would allow him, a mortal to slay a god. Pacing was great, and eased you into your growing arsenal of power + magic. The story was drip-fed, revealing more with each cutscene. Culminating in the death of ares after an intense showdown at the end of the game

gow2... Epic! Cut down in your prime by zues himself, you travelled to the outer reaches of the mythological world in your quest for revenge. The battles were epic, the settings even more so. The other gods don't really figure, leaving you to be led by the titans on your path to revenge against zues. Kratos kills the sisters of fate, the beings who decide the fate of the very gods and titan's themselves. Gameplay issues were fixed and tweaked, and while it's debatable whether they really improved it a whole lot, the game itself was enough of a departure from the original formula to keep it fresh.

gow3... Yawn! Oh but it's so pretty! And so it should be, this is the ps3. Kratos mows down olympians like they are nothing. Gaia's helping him, oh no, she droppped him, now he must destroy all titans too. There's little substance to it, no build up, no great greek tragedy. Just a mish-mash of ideas thrown into a hat and pulled out at random.  I realise that primarily it's an action game, but after several years, I'd expect the writers to come up with a bit better story - especially if I'm forced to watch EVERY cutscene on EVERY playthrough... Had some great additions (I'm looking in the direction of the nemean cestus in particular), but not enough to put it on the same level as either of the previous games.

0 Kudos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

m0usshak3

33%
02 Rank
Progress
m0usshak3
Accepted Solution

TEABAGNEMESIS wrote:

gow3... Yawn! Oh but it's so pretty! And so it should be, this is the ps3. Kratos mows down olympians like they are nothing. Gaia's helping him, oh no, she droppped him, now he must destroy all titans too. There's little substance to it, no build up, no great greek tragedy. Just a mish-mash of ideas thrown into a hat and pulled out at random.  I realise that primarily it's an action game, but after several years, I'd expect the writers to come up with a bit better story - especially if I'm forced to watch EVERY cutscene on EVERY playthrough... Had some great additions (I'm looking in the direction of the nemean cestus in particular), but not enough to put it on the same level as either of the previous games.

You express exactly how I feel :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TEABAGNEMESIS

• Beta Tester
86%
05 Rank
Progress
TEABAGNEMESIS
Accepted Solution

It's a shame, This should really have been so much more. I've had my little rant on it now though so I feel a bit better lol. It's like when the old's used to say "I'm not angry, just disappointed :Shame:...", that sums up my feelings for gow3

0 Kudos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Arathane

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Arathane
Accepted Solution

Just finished it tonight and i think it lived up to my expectations, although i had already judged it from the couple of demos i played and i wasnt expecting much to be new.

It didnt grab me like GOW2 did, that game was just amazing when it came out. GOW3 just felt like more of the same old same old in my opinion.

Dont get me wrong, i thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from the sometimes horrid voice acting in the cutscenes. I feel the only real step forwards was the ability to use some strategy during a fight, having to switch weapons in order to defeat certain types of enemies made the fights a little more interesting than just mashing buttons.

All in all, a good game that could have been slightly better. Still worth at least one playthrough though.

Oh and another thing that annoyed me, whats the deal with making us finish the game in order to use the bonus DLC from the collectors Edition? And once you unlock it, taking away the ability to earn trophies because we changed the costume??? Dumb idea :Shame:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Shadow_Dancer

• Beta Tester
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Shadow_Dancer
Accepted Solution

Well I was pretty disappointed actually. It started out well with a great intro....

....And then for the rest of the game, I was basically  waiting for the game to start. There was no real build-up to any of the story sequences. All we get is moving from one cave environment to another one. Fight a boss, get a power - rinse and repeat. The environments were boring and uninpired. We spend half the game running through caves and hallways with no connection to where we are and why we are there. Most of them seemed like they were as filler until we reach the Zeus fight. I really hated that room with the large boxes. Where were all those epic environments in the other two games!? (Desert Of Lost Souls , Athens, Island of Lost Souls etc) Why couldn't we battle our way through Olympus with the war raging around us and seeing the effects Kratos was having on the world he was supposedly causing chaos to?

Not the worst game, but for a God Of War game I expected MUCH better.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Woodzeh

48%
02 Rank
Progress
Woodzeh
Accepted Solution

No, I didn't think it made my expectations. IMO it wasn't worth the $89 (Australian) i payed for it. I should've rented it because it only took me a day and a half to finish.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

smokeypsd

94%
05 Rank
Progress
smokeypsd
Accepted Solution
I'm pretty surprised by some reactions with ppl but in either case here's mine. I loved it, I thought it was a brilliant finale to a great series. I thought it did many unexpected things and it was all done with an insane amount of polish. Some truely interesting interpretations of things, such as the labryinth and solidified Kratos as having his very own mythical arc.
Lots of peoples criticisms such as lack of focus, seemingly filler etc, the game doesn't match the intro I didnt find that at all, I found the complete opposite. In the end it exceeded my expectations. Right down to the music, they outdid themselves with the score on this one, and there's been some great music from all of them, even chains of olympus.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dysmorphic

51%
02 Rank
Progress
dysmorphic
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

dysmorphic

51%
02 Rank
Progress
dysmorphic
Accepted Solution

Personally, I absolutely love the game

However, I do sympathize with those who were let down because when I played it for the first run through, I felt let down, but after playing it a second time through on Titan and searching for all the chests myself without a guide I appreciated the game MUCH more and ended up categorizing this as one of my all time favourite games

I think the massive amounts of hype lead to the disappointment from people; I think people's expectations were too high, I know mine were but as I said, after "platinuming" it I felt very well impressed

=)

PS

I dont know about you but for some reason on Titan I found Poseidon to be the biggest son of a ***** ever!

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel