94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Which God Of War game is the best?

13 Replies 15,466 Views Created 11-11-2012

With the newest game in the series coming to your PlayStation in March 2013 and more and more bits of info, news and videos starting to trickle out its time we took a look back at the other games in the series and pose the question 'which one is best?'

Though perhaps you do not have a favourite, perhaps you like them all equally, or maybe you love one game in the series more than any other! Well, time to tell us.

Lets take a quick look back at the previous games to help jog your memories!

The first game in the series was released way back in 2005 on the PlayStation 2, quickly became a hit and was proclaimed as one of the best action & adventure game son the PlayStation 2. I remember when my best friend first got it, I'd sit back and just watch him play, hacking his way through various levels and bad guys.

File:Gow2-2.jpg

The inevitable sequel came out two years later for PlayStation 2 in 2007. Once again it was a big hit with many saying it had surpassed the first game - did it?

File:God of War III not final art.jpg

The third game in the series finally brought the title to the PlayStation 3, once again it was critically acclaimed and suprisingly (or maybe not) ended up out selling the first game! But whilst it sure looks pretty is it really the best one?

Those are the main three games but lets not forget there have also been two titles for the PSP - 'Chains of Olympus' & 'Ghost of Sparta' and also one title for mobile phones called 'God of War: Betrayal.'

Perhaps one of those three is actually your favourite? Or perhaps you just love them all?

LABELS:
Flying High!
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

kinggizmo

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kinggizmo
Accepted Solution

It's close between the first and the third for me, and Ascension looks like it will be a close contender too! Think I will go with 3 being my favourite for now... The graphics on that game were mind blowing.

Re: Which God Of War game is the best?

/16

eltonkev

89%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
eltonkev
Accepted Solution

I've played all the god of war games except the mobile phone game and have platinum trophys for all 5 and I have to say that although GOW3 was brilliant and looked amazing( and you get to punch Zeus in the head as much as you want) my favourite is GOW 2. When I played it originally on ps2 i thought it was one of the best games I'd ever played and has stayed one of my favourites ever since.

/16

dogwalker4000

95%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dogwalker4000
Accepted Solution

Gotta be GOW3 for me. One of, if not THE best game this gen imo.

/16

nextbigthing91

82%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nextbigthing91
Accepted Solution
God of War 3. But the 2nd follows it very closely.

Beta Tester
/16

Wretched_Hawk

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wretched_Hawk
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the replies so far guys :catvery-happy:

0 Kudos

Flying High!
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

God of War 2 is the best overall for me, but God of War 1 and 3 both pip it in different areas..

God of War 1 in my opinion had the best setting, but naturally the mechanics are the most basic as naturally the series improved in each outing. So I can forgive that.. what I can't get past is that the platforming difficulty borders on absurd in certain parts, which made it undesirable for to me to ever replay. It's funny, you can increase or decrease the combat difficulty, but potentially never finish the game because of some spinning blades or timed spike pits..

God of War 3 naturally is the most ambitious game, being the only PS3 gen game. But the opening half an hour is the best part of the game. Unfortunately it doesn't maintain the scale and spectacle the Gaia/Poseidon phase throws at you... Most of the game really is PS2 GOW in HD... Yeah sure the boss fights and Chronos section lift the game back up, but most of the inbetween stuff we've seen before, just not as pretty... and in my opinion the story almost becomes unlikeable... It's Kratos on a one way trip of revenge... Even the worst GTA 'antiheros' are more likeable I felt.. Didn't really like the magic and weapons as much either... 3 whip/chain based weapons is a bit much..

God of War 2 to me had the right balance of everything.. good weapons and magic, boss fights, platforming... puzzles without being some crazy Tomb Raider style puzzle solving... additions to the platforming and fight mechanics... Pretty much improves on God of War 1 in every way (although I have a soft spot for the God of War levels)

The PSP games it's hard to put on the same scale as the others.. The first was very good for a handheld game at the time... but it is very cut down compared to earlier PS2 games.. few bosses, literally impossible to die via platforming and very simplistic puzzles.... The second game is far better, but I'm not sure quite as fun as either GOW2 or 3...

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
/16

Hun_Vegetto

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Hun_Vegetto
Accepted Solution

GoW II. is the best ! :King:

( Cory Barlog please come back :Thumbs: )

/16

Notorious_CAT

44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Notorious_CAT
Accepted Solution

For me it's really hard to pick a fave game due to obviously the first one is the game that got me hooked on the story the character and obviously once completed I wanted more!! I got that in the shape of GOW2 and obviously the mobile game and PSP games too. I liked GOW3 alot but I didn't love it as much so I'm going with GOW Closely followed by GOW2 :catwink:

/16

TheDudeAhmed

75%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheDudeAhmed
Accepted Solution
GOW2 for me

TheDudeAhmed
/16

erjastej

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
erjastej
Accepted Solution

I played 1st and 2nd on PS2, the two PSP ones, 3rd and finally GOW ascension on PS3 and I enjoyed all of them. However, my appreciation of all of them is very different. My point of view might be singular but this is how I see it.

We have to remember why the game is such a success, what made it emerge from nowhere? To my respect, it was the first one which brought a new kind of entertainement that was never thought of before. May be it was thought of, but no one actually brought it forward as the first GOW did. I remember when I bought it, I knew nothing of it, did not have any clue about it since I never saw a demo or anything. It was just the picture on the box that attracted my eyes and I just wanted to give it a try. When I started playing, I just could not stop, it was amazing how the game dragged me into it!! I played it many times and patiently waited for the sequel.

I waited the same after each sequel to have another one and the same is also true for today, because the reason I am writing this is because I am like you, I am looking for another GOW sequel!!! Now, the question is why??? I can propose an answer, but as I said it's my way of seeing things. I believe it's like the story of one's first love. You tend to seek the intensity of the first experience in the sequels and may be graphics are made better and new combos, new weapons, but the originality of the first GOW has not always been met. That does not mean that the gameplay was not good or wasn't enjoyable but I believe it's what you met first that keeps you looking for the same or better. If some started with GOW3, they would find it better than the other ones and the same is true for any of the other titles.

To end, I will just add a last comment concerning GOW ascension. I strongly believe that multiplayer was a mistake. We already have loads of multiplayer games online, GOW does not need to compete with them, it's already a strong enough franchise. I personally believe that GOW 3 was far better than GOW ascension but I know that some might be tempted to say that in ascension he was not the god of war already but that's a lame excuse when we look at the first GOW where he started as a strong warrior but still a mortal. That's it guys, I hope I am not hurting anyone here, just sharing. I just hope for another great GOW game as all of you, but i would just prefer it without the multiplayer thing :) Cheers!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Neo-Renzokuken

97%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Neo-Renzokuken
Accepted Solution

Wretched_Hawk wrote:

With the newest game in the series coming to your PlayStation in March 2013 and more and more bits of info, news and videos starting to trickle out its time we took a look back at the other games in the series and pose the question 'which one is best?'

We have to choose one? :smileyfrustrated:

0 Kudos

/16

c00kiemonztr123

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
c00kiemonztr123
Accepted Solution

2nd, no doubt

0 Kudos

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeQzQSCqLApq8CyywyZLH0ZBLgRF2EFhNqDs-b0BTFYskpqoOH
/16

GOTHAMSCORPIO

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GOTHAMSCORPIO
Accepted Solution

GOW 2 POR JUEGO PUZZLES , LUCHA , MENSAJES SECRETOS , ARMAS , GIARDADO DE JUEGO , HISTORIA , AGARRES 

LUEGO GOW 1 POR LO MISMO

GOW ASCENSION X MULTIJUGADOR

ULTIMO GOW 3 ES ES PEOR PARA MI .  

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel