11 Nov 2012
By: Wretched_Hawk Beta Tester 9,224 Posts
Level 5

Which God Of War game is the best?

13 Replies 11,674 Views Created 11-11-2012

With the newest game in the series coming to your PlayStation in March 2013 and more and more bits of info, news and videos starting to trickle out its time we took a look back at the other games in the series and pose the question 'which one is best?'

Though perhaps you do not have a favourite, perhaps you like them all equally, or maybe you love one game in the series more than any other! Well, time to tell us.

Lets take a quick look back at the previous games to help jog your memories!

The first game in the series was released way back in 2005 on the PlayStation 2, quickly became a hit and was proclaimed as one of the best action & adventure game son the PlayStation 2. I remember when my best friend first got it, I'd sit back and just watch him play, hacking his way through various levels and bad guys.

File:Gow2-2.jpg

The inevitable sequel came out two years later for PlayStation 2 in 2007. Once again it was a big hit with many saying it had surpassed the first game - did it?

File:God of War III not final art.jpg

The third game in the series finally brought the title to the PlayStation 3, once again it was critically acclaimed and suprisingly (or maybe not) ended up out selling the first game! But whilst it sure looks pretty is it really the best one?

Those are the main three games but lets not forget there have also been two titles for the PSP - 'Chains of Olympus' & 'Ghost of Sparta' and also one title for mobile phones called 'God of War: Betrayal.'

Perhaps one of those three is actually your favourite? Or perhaps you just love them all?

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (11,674 Views)
Level 6

Re: Which God Of War game is the best?

It's close between the first and the third for me, and Ascension looks like it will be a close contender too! Think I will go with 3 being my favourite for now... The graphics on that game were mind blowing.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (11,653 Views)
Level 5

I've played all the god of war games except the mobile phone game and have platinum trophys for all 5 and I have to say that although GOW3 was brilliant and looked amazing( and you get to punch Zeus in the head as much as you want) my favourite is GOW 2. When I played it originally on ps2 i thought it was one of the best games I'd ever played and has stayed one of my favourites ever since.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (11,640 Views)
Level 5

Gotta be GOW3 for me. One of, if not THE best game this gen imo.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (11,576 Views)
Level 4

God of War 3. But the 2nd follows it very closely.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (11,501 Views)
Level 5

Thanks for the replies so far guys :catvery-happy:

Flying High!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (11,427 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

God of War 2 is the best overall for me, but God of War 1 and 3 both pip it in different areas..

God of War 1 in my opinion had the best setting, but naturally the mechanics are the most basic as naturally the series improved in each outing. So I can forgive that.. what I can't get past is that the platforming difficulty borders on absurd in certain parts, which made it undesirable for to me to ever replay. It's funny, you can increase or decrease the combat difficulty, but potentially never finish the game because of some spinning blades or timed spike pits..

God of War 3 naturally is the most ambitious game, being the only PS3 gen game. But the opening half an hour is the best part of the game. Unfortunately it doesn't maintain the scale and spectacle the Gaia/Poseidon phase throws at you... Most of the game really is PS2 GOW in HD... Yeah sure the boss fights and Chronos section lift the game back up, but most of the inbetween stuff we've seen before, just not as pretty... and in my opinion the story almost becomes unlikeable... It's Kratos on a one way trip of revenge... Even the worst GTA 'antiheros' are more likeable I felt.. Didn't really like the magic and weapons as much either... 3 whip/chain based weapons is a bit much..

God of War 2 to me had the right balance of everything.. good weapons and magic, boss fights, platforming... puzzles without being some crazy Tomb Raider style puzzle solving... additions to the platforming and fight mechanics... Pretty much improves on God of War 1 in every way (although I have a soft spot for the God of War levels)

The PSP games it's hard to put on the same scale as the others.. The first was very good for a handheld game at the time... but it is very cut down compared to earlier PS2 games.. few bosses, literally impossible to die via platforming and very simplistic puzzles.... The second game is far better, but I'm not sure quite as fun as either GOW2 or 3...

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (11,273 Views)

GoW II. is the best ! :King:

( Cory Barlog please come back :Thumbs: )

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (10,503 Views)

For me it's really hard to pick a fave game due to obviously the first one is the game that got me hooked on the story the character and obviously once completed I wanted more!! I got that in the shape of GOW2 and obviously the mobile game and PSP games too. I liked GOW3 alot but I didn't love it as much so I'm going with GOW Closely followed by GOW2 :catwink:

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (9,693 Views)
Level 3

GOW2 for me

TheDudeAhmed
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (9,561 Views)