15 Mar 2012
By verbii

Playstation Staff

Favourite Real Life/Game track and WHY?

12 Replies 214 Views Created 15-03-2012

Hi,

I’m doing a project at Uni with a team relating to Race Tracks and video games, I was wondering if you could take the time to let us know what your favourite race track is either real life or in game (please let us know which game it’s in) and most importantly WHY, it could be the corners, you may live near it, because of a racing moment whatever, any help would be appreciated, so I’ll start off. I know a favourite track thing may have been done before but its the WHY we really need.

Track:  Bathurst(Mount Panorama)

Why:  I love the way it has very long straights, tight technical sections, walled in sections with no run off and obviously all that elevation change.  Also I remember when I was young seeing some epic V8 touring car action being shown from there on TV which I loved.

See easy, like I say let us know yours, any reason is valid :smileyvery-happy:  Apologies if this is the wrong place to put the thread.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (214 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Favourite Real Life/Game track and WHY?

For me it would have either The Nurburgring NordSchleife, or Belguims Spa Francorchamps, both are real AND in GT5.

Spa is, in my view, the only real Formula 1 circuit left of the original ones that has not been destroyed and turned into what I call a Mickey Mouse circuit. It is a fantastic circuit with flowing corners and straights where as most other circuits are point, turn, accelerate brake, turn, etc et al. Theres no flow to modern circuits. The exception is Silverstone which is still an old style circuit but I don't like it as to my mind it just doesn't have the flow Spa does.

The Nordschleife has got to be the ultimate driving circuit. It is very long, technical, but it flows well, it is still used for races such as endurance races. It has a strong history. It is a real test for drivers.

If I had to pick one I would have to go for the Nordschleife. Real track and available in GT 5

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (202 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Favorite track Real life : Donington Park

Why: the sight of a pack of bikes coming down through the craner curves seen from Starkeys Bridge (in the old days the best place to be was Starkeys bar, cold beer and watching bikes on a sunny day- heaven)

Favourite track game : Nurburgring in GT5

Why: just a fantastic track to drive in game with such a huge variety of corners

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (202 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Track: Nurburgring Nordschleife

Reason: It's a "natural" track

Let me explain. Tracks are either laid out entirely based on the natural landscape or they are contrived more by man. The North ring is a very natural and long layout, so the challenges are also more natural, and this aspect of driving is import.

If you compare Fuji before and after Tilke messed it up, you will have an idea about what I mean. The two main last curve designs (from the 80s & 90s) were based more on the natural landscape, but the Tilke layout changed it into a very contrived S-curve. You feel cheated from Fuji, now.

You don't get the same feeling from a track that follows a natural layout. Bahrain, Istanbul, city tracks, even Complex String (GT3) all feel differently to natural tracks, such as Laguna Seca. However, C.S. Is a special case.

Other things in favour of Nordschleife is its length and history.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (202 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Well I aint sure if its still used as a track today but it would be:

Targa Florio (rFactor) - Immensely challenging to even complete a lap at high pace, incredible landscape and the track is something of a grand tour in itself on the perfect road.

If the choice above isn't very helpful for your project for whatever reason then you can take the following alternatively:

Imola (GTR2) - Fast and unforgiving with some really great corners rarely get bad/boring races on it

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (192 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

For me i remember going to Brands Hatch as a child in the days of Barry Sheen. That will always have a place in my heart just for the fact of actually being somewhere that up till then i had only heard of on TV.

Nurburgring is not a track i particularly enjoy racing on but that was one of the mist well known. When i found out you could just go there was amazing, (I haven't actually been there).

Croft Park is my nearest track now so i should route for that as well.

Here's my list of cars i own
http://www.mygranturismo.net/user_sheet.php?id=3292

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (179 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Grand Valley Speedway for me, just liked the track can't pin why i like it.
Real name request? Really!? Oh look its the saaaaame!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (175 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Track: Special Stage Route 11 (Fictional, featured in Gran Turismo 1, 2 and 3)
Why?: The track layout and enviorment is just amazing. Its a relaxing track to drive on I'd say.

s7.jpg

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (173 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

real track: istanbul park f1 track

in game: north ring

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (158 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Suzuka in real life and gaming because of the corners.

Go Lotus F1 for 2012!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (137 Views)
0 Kudos