21 Feb 2013
Playstation Staff

GT6 = PS4?

7 Replies 1,616 Views Created 21-02-2013

Now Sony has revealed the tech specs and launch date for the Playstation 4 do any of you think that means the next installment of Gran Turismo is being designed to utilise an 8-core CPU with bolted on GPU and 8GB GDDR5 RAM?

Lets look at it now, GT5 currently runs a single hardware core CPU. No matter what people try to say otherwise, it is a single core processor in the PS3 because those SPUs are software derived. It is not multi-core like we know about in the PowerAP, x86 and x64 realms. It also runs on 0.5GB RAM which is a mix of 0.25GB XDR and 0.25GB DDR.

So what exactly can be achieved with a processor that has 8 times the physical processor cores, closer proximity GPU and now 16 times the memory?

Could one assume we might get about 16 times as many cars on Nurburgring? Even if we got 10 times as many rival cars than would give 160 cars which is only ten short of the real Nurburgring 24 event. What would the tracks themselves look like and what additional physics calculations can be introduced? Are we would going to see uneven tyre wear and more realistic mechanical deteriations, or even far more intelligent AI drivers?

So many questions but first we need to know if GT6 is this generation.... or the next.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (1,616 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: GT6 = PS4?

If I remember correctly, I think Kaz said a few years ago when GT5 was launched. That he felt the level of detail put into some of the cars, should have been for the next generation game. So I'm pretty sure Gran Turismo 6 has to be on the PlayStation 4.

Oh, and something that was revealed last night, that really got me excited. The ability for a friend to take over control of your game if you are stuck or that. Could this mean I may finally get what I have wanted in the Gran Turismo series for so long? Online team endurance races. Where you make your pit stop, and a friend takes over for their stint. Please make it so :smileyvery-happy:

Whaaaaat?Alphazone4@RenegadEuphoriXWatch Me
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (1,611 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Gran Turismo 6 will be released in 01. 12. 2013 for PS3 and will be released in 2014 for PS4

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (1,046 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

That hasn't been confirmed yet, although I heard that there was a mention during the LeMans 24H race of a GT being released for the PS4 next year. I'm not sure if that was a slip or whether it was just speculation because I didn't hear it myself.

If there will be an early GT for the PS4, it is likely to be a Prologue, but we will see.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (973 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

ProjectVRD wrote:

Now Sony has revealed the tech specs and launch date for the Playstation 4

what, what, really?  Not seen this, what date have Sony said it's going to be released?

I want it NOW!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (969 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

This was taken in a Dutch store.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (965 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

^ ah right, cheers. Seen that one. Thought Sony had announced something and I'd missed it!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (962 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I remember the GT guy saying he wouldn't rule out GT6 for PS4, which translates to : "it's currently being developed"
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (879 Views)
0 Kudos