25 Nov 2010
Playstation Staff

Gran Turismo 5 Hints and Tips

23 Replies 24,538 Views Created 25-11-2010

Strategy is half the task in GT. Some minor pieces of information can save you hours, so this section's all about the cars, upgrades or other strategies you use to help advance your game.

One of the major differences from GT4 is that you no longer win cars repeatedly. Every time you clear an event you get rewarded with a car, but it's only awarded once so be careful when you're selling cars because you may not get them back again. On the upside, prize money seems to be a bit more generous this time around.

One piece of advice I'd give is instead of buying a Toyota to go in the Yaris event, complete the Sunday Cup in B-Spec mode (winning gold in each event) and you win a Yaris, it can save you 20,000+ in car costs and modifications. Remember too for newbies, change your oil on every car you buy, including new cars before hitting the track. It's a good way to get a few extra horsepower.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 24 (24,538 Views)
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: Gran Turismo 5 Hints and Tips

generally in GT you never need to actually buy any cars after your first one, you win one which can be raced somewhere which wins something that can be raced somewhere else and so on
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 24 (24,529 Views)
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Word of warning about your advice Rcoll. The Yaris you get from the Sunday cup is the weakest Yaris in the game. It has 90hp, where as you have to vs 'sport' Yarises with 140hp! I did manage to do it completely stok, but it took some rough play and strategy to win.

BTG forums
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 24 (24,485 Views)
Level 9

Playstation Staff

I think the best strategy I can come up with for this game is DRIVE FASTER and WIN

In Seriousness though, I just finished National A and B licence tests & decided to have a go at the Sunday Cup, it asked me to choose a car & in jest I clicked on 1 of the stealth cars, it let me use it.... You can just imagine my Nissan GT-R GT500 Stealth sitting next to a Honda Civic.... So for fun I did the first race like that then changed back to my civic as that would take alot of the fun out of the game for me.  

Pretoria Sig
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 24 (24,339 Views)
Level 9

Playstation Staff

I've made a rule to myself not to use any of the Signature DLC cars to 'first time win' events.... unless further down the track one of them is realistically comparable to the rest of the field in the event I am trying to beat.

Half the fun to GT historically is carefully planning how to use your prize cars to beat events you haven't yet raced, and avoid buying cars which are eligible yet 50-150 HP higher than the rest of the field.. as said earlier, if planned right the only car (or next to only car) you should ever need to buy is your starter car.

In the same token... regularly using high spec cars that you haven't had to work towards unlocking or even saved enough credits to purchase, is borderline cheating.... to me that is like being given a DLC code for Snake's bandana in MGS and beating the game for the first time using it... :Lol:

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 24 (24,329 Views)
Level 6

Playstation Staff

kiwiatlarge wrote:

I've made a rule to myself not to use any of the Signature DLC cars to 'first time win' events.... unless further down the track one of them is realistically comparable to the rest of the field in the event I am trying to beat.

Half the fun to GT historically is carefully planning how to use your prize cars to beat events you haven't yet raced, and avoid buying cars which are eligible yet 50-150 HP higher than the rest of the field.. as said earlier, if planned right the only car (or next to only car) you should ever need to buy is your starter car.

In the same token... regularly using high spec cars that you haven't had to work towards unlocking or even saved enough credits to purchase, is borderline cheating.... to me that is like being given a DLC code for Snake's bandana in MGS and beating the game for the first time using it... :Lol:

I'm trying to do the same. Might use the Lamborghini for the Lambo event, But otherwise I've kept to cars I've gotten myself. Heck, I'll try make my Countach win before I try the LP-640.

BTG forums
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 24 (24,303 Views)
Level 6

Playstation Staff

i was too poor to afford a lamborghini for the 70's supercar event so i just spend $150k tuning my interceptor mark 3 that i had already bought for a different event
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 24 (24,165 Views)
Level 6

Playstation Staff

wildheart90 wrote:
i was too poor to afford a lamborghini for the 70's supercar event so i just spend $150k tuning my interceptor mark 3 that i had already bought for a different event

Problem was, I boguth the 25th anniversary edition from the 80's :Lol:. Although I did use the chromeline Murcielago with some small tweaks to win the Lamborghini championship which earns the prize car of the '74 Countach :Lol:.

150k on the interceptor though? I doubt it needed that much tuning. The 2k tune up and some racing tyres would have been enough, surely?

BTG forums
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 24 (24,101 Views)
Level 6

Playstation Staff

it was very low on power and very high on weight, plus it was second hand so i hard to refurb the engine and rigidity, still beats paying half a million for a lambo
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 24 (24,039 Views)
Level 6

Playstation Staff

wildheart90 wrote:
it was very low on power and very high on weight, plus it was second hand so i hard to refurb the engine and rigidity, still beats paying half a million for a lambo

Eh? The Gallardo would win the Lambo race, and it's 250k. It's also got it's very own event in the next hall, so it would be a good investment.

BTG forums
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 24 (24,035 Views)