80%
02 Rank
Progress

Gran Turismo 5 Impressions

[ Edited ]
139 Replies 15,958 Views edited 21-11-2010
21 Nov 2010
By oOPtKidOo

Hello fellow gamers, after getting my game early and having a good 6 hour bash on it i can now share my first impressions with you guys.

Before that i want to state that im a Gran Turismo Fanboy so that kinda shows one person that wanted the game to be faultless was me.

Well lets start by saying ITS NOT ALL GOOD NEWS, personally im disappointed with PD and i know many others will too.

SO lets start with :

Pros :

• Graphics
  • Physics
  • Damage
  • Dynamic Weather

Not sure about these last 2.

I'll say this because i have yet to see any damage at all and any dynamic weather aswell so i cant comment on those but if sources are right they are very good.
Now to the things i already found wrong with the game already. (Remember its only MY opinion).

I will try to give reasons why i think these stand out as cons at least IMO.

• Cons :
  • 800 Standard Cars

The problem is not them being standard at all, the problem is that they look total *****.When i look at them it reminds me of cardboards drawings just because everything is on and you cant even see where the different parts cant merge together.
Im not trying to sound overdramatic here but they do look awful and when you guys have the game in your hands you will see why.

On top of that they can be race moded and you can add spoilers and that kind of stuff but you CANT change the stock rims so whats even the point of adding a spoilers or other piece of aerodynamic stuff when the aesthetics look all messed up.
Something else worth mentioning is that all standard cars are considered used and they all under ONE car lot which only shows 30 cars at one time and takes few minutes to refresh if i noticed right, so good luck finding the old gem you looking for.

• B-Spec

Seriously B-Spec this time round is just retarded, well maybe not the mode but the drivers are.
Basicly its B-Spec from GT4 only difference is you have a bit more info to look at, you can choose the camera style you would like, you also gotta make/hire a driver call it what you will and then when it comes to racing you have 4 an ALMIGHTY 4 inputs :

Slower Pace
Maintain Pace
Increase Pace
Overtake

Now that wouldnt be a problem until you try to figure out how to calm down your driver because he is very angry for some reason.
If you dont calm him down you can kiss your race goodbye because he will commit mistake after mistake and nothing you can do.
Remember the very first cup of GT4, well he cant even win the FIRST race of the same FIRST CUP.
On top of that polyphony increased laps for B-spec so expect to do an average of 4-6 laps per race at the beggining and increasing has you open further cups.
Now the biggest annoyance of all...WAIT FOR IT... They TOOK OUT the SPEED UP FUNCTION in B-Spec so you gotta sit and watch 6 laps of your moronic driver making mistakes.

• Premium Cars

Now most people are thinking why i have something against premium cars.
    Nothing really, they look beatiful and theres around 200 of them but you wont be using many of them any time soon, plus theres not really 200 different cars...About 10 to 20 are Nascar cars, then you have 2 F1 cars and a few rally so you know now that theres nowhere near 200 different cars and like i said you wont be using most of them anytime soon unless you save ALOOOT.

Most of the premium cars are very expensive but on top of that now require a level (A-Spec Level) to be bought.
    So if you level 0 as you start and you want a goodish car you either have to go for standard cars or buy premium cars that are not even worth having.
    The only one i saw and bought was the honda civic, because i didnt have any money and i didnt have the level to buy them.

But dont worry polyphony found a way to make you increase your level before starting your progress in Gt Mode Cups.
    DO SOME LICENSES...AND SOME KARTING...AND SOME NASCAR SCHOOLING BY JEFF GORDON.
    The last of the begginer challenges before you reach level 5 is the Top Gear challenge which is actually some fun.

I think thats it for now, i had more in my head but with all the writting i forgot.

IMO i think this game does not reach the standard it was suppose to.
If they spend less time you nascar schooling bull***** challenges and s making premium nascar cars and actually made some more premium cars which are at this present time considered standard and look like ***** maybe GT5 would have been the game everyone was expecting.

Of course thats not all 20 tracks with different variations.Where are the missing tracks that were in GT4?

Why spend about 6 months making the new Red Bull car they put into the game when more things needed some attention?

Why make Prologue when the actual GT5 Real Driving Simulator needed more time invested into it.

They wanted to make the PERFECT GAME but they forgot the basics in the midst of this.

DO NOT TOUCH WHAT ISNT BROKEN
Nearly 6 years and still feels like an incomplete game.

Oh well still not a bad game but its far from perfect.

Thanks for reading and sorry for my poor grammar.

P.S - Will be answering questions when i can about the game.

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

stetaylor639

68%
02 Rank
Progress
stetaylor639
Accepted Solution
I have seen more positive comments then negative, in fact this is the first negative review I have seen, people are expected too much, the PS3 might be powerful but it isn't that powerful to have all these things that people want like all cars have interior etc, just be happy.
0 Kudos

Re: Gran Turismo 5 Impressions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
existenz1
Accepted Solution

you dont have a ps3 gamer card..

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

oOPtKidOo

80%
02 Rank
Progress
oOPtKidOo
Accepted Solution

I've not bothered with the positives since almost everyone of us knows what they are.
Also on the amateur subject, well first of all it is not a review, just my honest first impressions and has i said before the game still fun to play.

If you such a fanboy that you cant take criticism towards one of the most anticipated games of the decade (been in development for nearly 6 years) then please dont even look in this thread.
Im sure you will be happy with what you get when you play the game yourself but dont moan if some of us had higher standards for a game which took nearly 6 years to complete and its was going to be the perfect racing driver simulator.

But please do not say its fine to have half of game which is brilliant and the rest which is half arsed, otherwise GT6 might be another disappointment.

And to those who say that standards are fine do yourself a favour and check the GT Planet thread about it.
Theres enough information there to possibly make you realize they do not look fine, they just look average apart from some cars such as the Veyron.

Lastly if you want me to quickly touch on the good the game has.

AI is competent enough apart from slowing down too much and playing bumper cars in certain tracks.

Damage cant talk since i've yet to seen it at all.

Graphics are superb, shadows on the other hand are not too good at least atm.

They have huge amount of jaggies and doesnt look right.

Premium cars are very well made and interiors are very detailed aswell but like i said shadows let it down.

Physis of the car are probably the best feature of GT5 but heck its a racing game.

Karts physis are superb too, nascars feel fine but then again dont know what they are supposed to feel since its kinda new sport to me.

Im not going to elaborate on it anymore since everyone already knew this i believe.

If you got anything else to ask please ask but politely since calling ppl amateurs when they were not reviewing, but indeed giving impressions and answering questions that you guys might have is not very nice.

Thanks

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GTuristi

99%
05 Rank
Progress
GTuristi
Accepted Solution

Can you tell what exactly can be transferred from GT5 Prologue, is it the cars usable only in arcade mode? What's available in arcade mode if you don't transfer your cars from GT5p?

Can't wait till wednesday, I've booked friday off the work so I'll have nice long weekend dedicated for Gran Turismo 5 :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mosavon

80%
02 Rank
Progress
mosavon
Accepted Solution
Youve gone and done it again "ill now touch on the positive" and in the very same sentence you counter it with a negative. Do us all a favour and *****.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mosavon

80%
02 Rank
Progress
mosavon
Accepted Solution
S T F U
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mosavon

80%
02 Rank
Progress
mosavon
Accepted Solution
OP whats your PSN id if you even have one? o0ptkid0o, doesnt work!!! ill hit you up for a race & talk turkey on the mic.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

oOPtKidOo

80%
02 Rank
Progress
oOPtKidOo
Accepted Solution

Im not too sure what you can transfer from prologue, tbh i havent seen anything to do with it but thats because i havent been searching.Arcade Mode has a bunch of different cars available from the start like lambos, new mercedes slr, ferrari f40 i think and a few others.

@mosanov why would i want to add you? You are just a rude person and i have no interest in talking to you. the only negative i gave was the shadows because they do seem odd as you will be able to see in many videos on youtube, and if you didnt notice i mention they seem odd atm since im almost sure it has to be some kind of bug and will be fixed.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mosavon

80%
02 Rank
Progress
mosavon
Accepted Solution
i was joking, you couldn't detect that?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

oOPtKidOo

80%
02 Rank
Progress
oOPtKidOo
Accepted Solution
Tbh with you i couldnt care less if you were joking or not.
To me you are rude and i dont see the need for you to even post in this thread when you obviously made your mind up about the game.
Im sure you will love it but some of us were/are left disappointed so no need to take your fanboy rage on us.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

broly98

93%
04 Rank
Progress
broly98
Accepted Solution

Thx for the honest opinions i love when people jump down throats of people who badmouth this game its funny, its far from the perfect game people think it is.

To me it has always been another racer, One which has much more. More is not nessicary a good thing. Quality over Quantity. But i like to read up on it lately an find out what people like an what they dont, helps me decide if i should get it or not as games are 100$+ here.

Looking at later videos im not hyped or fussed about it, Really did not like the look of the rain, looks plain.

Bit of a shock about standard cars not being able to use photo mode, and they look alot less detail, i figured just no cockpit view i really want to see pictures of a standard car as i am not a fan of driving cars which are basically supercars $100,000+ i like the street cars, are most of these just standard models?

Also if you can find out what the damage is like that would be greatful. I know the game is not about damage. But they say it was suppose to be really awesome and groundbreaking.. I am doubting that as i have just seen the stock doors an bumpers fly off like you would see in a old game. I guess i would like if i crashed into the wall at 100ks it would be un drivable but i dont think they took it that far taking all the realism out of it and therefore having no point for damage anyway.

0 Kudos

Bye bye Blackbird.My Twitter^_^

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

oOPtKidOo

80%
02 Rank
Progress
oOPtKidOo
Accepted Solution
You cant use standard cars on Photo Shop which is the basicly the mode which gives detail to pictures but im still not sure if you can take a picture of a standard car in a race.

Yh most street cars are standards and only standard cars such as zonda's, veyron's etc are better detailed than the rest.

I havent seen anything of damage yet but i know standard cars cannot be damaged wheel not entirely true...They can but it basicly scuff marks for all i have seen but i might be wrong since im not too far ingame.
Rumor is that once you get to level 20 in A-Spec damage becomes available or something of that nature but im not sure.
What i do know is that ppl that have seen damage say is very underwhelming to say the least, well at least most of them so im not so sure if its going to be groundbreaking.

Hope that answered all your questions.
Thanks
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
I love the look of the rain on the videos i have seen, just with the behind car view the cars look bone dry :S but cockpit view looks nice :D
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

oOPtKidOo

80%
02 Rank
Progress
oOPtKidOo
Accepted Solution
I hope its good cuz i have yet to see any damage or weather changes so crossing my fingers.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

BeanDK

• Beta Tester
80%
02 Rank
Progress
BeanDK
Accepted Solution

@oOPtKidOo: Thanks for the impressions - keep 'em coming :)

And don't let the blind fanboys get to you - some people just refuse to accept facts and attack the messenger instead.

Personally I'm still getting the game, but the whole standard/premium car seperation sounds like a retarded idea. No tuning/upgrade options for standard cars? *****!!

And damage should be available from the first race.

Doesnt sound like a game that have been in development for 5-6 years - what have Yamauchi & co. been doing in all that time? Having fun racing real cars?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

DeathroW22

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
DeathroW22
Accepted Solution
1) What facts? These are opinions, not facts.
2) They've put out 3 games, GT HD, GT5: Prologue and GT PSP, while working on GT5.

Yes, two of those are essentially what GT5 used to come to be, but developing a game that is to be released to consumers takes considerable time. So it isn't as if they've been continually developing GT5 all this time, despite popular belief.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Dannehkins

99%
08 Rank
Progress
Dannehkins
Accepted Solution
Oh burn. :P
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

BeanDK

• Beta Tester
80%
02 Rank
Progress
BeanDK
Accepted Solution

"What facts? These are opinions, not facts."

Well...

- 200+ premium cars, 800+ standard cars.

- No tuning/upgrading standard cars

- No damage in the beginning.

- Only allowed to race standard cars in the beginning.

- No photo travel with standard cars.

- Etc.

Those are facts - unless you claim he is lying or wrong about it?

GT HD and GT5: Prologue were not full games. GT HD was as demo and Prologue was a glamorized demo. However GT PSP was a full game but without any career mode which pretty much destroyed the game. Still does not explain how they managed to spend 5-6 year on this.

As I wrote - I'm still getting the game, just amazed about the poor design decisions and that people are fiercly defending it..

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Danlisa

• Beta Tester
89%
04 Rank
Progress
Danlisa
Accepted Solution

BeanDK wrote:

- No tuning/upgrading standard cars

- Only allowed to race standard cars in the beginning.

- No photo travel with standard cars.

Tuning or Upgrading standard cars.  Is that so?  I thought it was only cosmetic additions that couldn't be done, ala rims and body kits.  I have yet to read that mechanical upgrades aren't possible, bearing in mind that Arcade is severely limited in this respect.  GT Career is vastly more changeable.

Only racing Standard Cars in the beginning.  Really?  I always thought the first step in any GT title is to do the License Tests.  All of these are done with Premium cars and by just doing those tests you accrue enough Level Points to get your first Premium for racing.

No Photo travel for Standard cars.  True!  Although, why would you want to?  Have you seen replay screenshots of the Standards Cars?  While they are improved over their GT4 counterparts they are nowhere near the quality of the Premiums in terms on model and graphics.  I for one do not want to see a Standard car in Photo Travel @ 8 megapixel.

At the end of the day, PD have decided to go with their vision of the game and this will not please everyone but the majority will overlook these little niggles in light of the other positive features PD have added.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

BeanDK

• Beta Tester
80%
02 Rank
Progress
BeanDK
Accepted Solution
Danlisa wrote:

Only racing Standard Cars in the beginning.  Really?  I always thought the first step in any GT title is to do the License Tests.  All of these are done with Premium cars and by just doing those tests you accrue enough Level Points to get your first Premium for racing.

Apart from licence tests (which use premium) of course - the cars available in the beginning of the game (when doing events) are all used standard cars.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Jerbs

98%
04 Rank
Progress
Jerbs
Accepted Solution

BeanDK wrote:
Danlisa wrote:

Apart from licence tests (which use premium) of course - the cars available in the beginning of the game (when doing events) are all used standard cars.

Why would they give you all the best cars at the start anyway? There would be no challenge and the rewarding feeling of unlocking the premium cars.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel