02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Gran Turismo 5 Impressions

[ Edited ]
139 Replies 15,142 Views edited 21-11-2010

Hello fellow gamers, after getting my game early and having a good 6 hour bash on it i can now share my first impressions with you guys.

Before that i want to state that im a Gran Turismo Fanboy so that kinda shows one person that wanted the game to be faultless was me.

Well lets start by saying ITS NOT ALL GOOD NEWS, personally im disappointed with PD and i know many others will too.

SO lets start with :

Pros :

• Graphics
  • Physics
  • Damage
  • Dynamic Weather

Not sure about these last 2.

I'll say this because i have yet to see any damage at all and any dynamic weather aswell so i cant comment on those but if sources are right they are very good.
Now to the things i already found wrong with the game already. (Remember its only MY opinion).

I will try to give reasons why i think these stand out as cons at least IMO.

• Cons :
  • 800 Standard Cars

The problem is not them being standard at all, the problem is that they look total *****.When i look at them it reminds me of cardboards drawings just because everything is on and you cant even see where the different parts cant merge together.
Im not trying to sound overdramatic here but they do look awful and when you guys have the game in your hands you will see why.

On top of that they can be race moded and you can add spoilers and that kind of stuff but you CANT change the stock rims so whats even the point of adding a spoilers or other piece of aerodynamic stuff when the aesthetics look all messed up.
Something else worth mentioning is that all standard cars are considered used and they all under ONE car lot which only shows 30 cars at one time and takes few minutes to refresh if i noticed right, so good luck finding the old gem you looking for.

• B-Spec

Seriously B-Spec this time round is just retarded, well maybe not the mode but the drivers are.
Basicly its B-Spec from GT4 only difference is you have a bit more info to look at, you can choose the camera style you would like, you also gotta make/hire a driver call it what you will and then when it comes to racing you have 4 an ALMIGHTY 4 inputs :

Slower Pace
Maintain Pace
Increase Pace
Overtake

Now that wouldnt be a problem until you try to figure out how to calm down your driver because he is very angry for some reason.
If you dont calm him down you can kiss your race goodbye because he will commit mistake after mistake and nothing you can do.
Remember the very first cup of GT4, well he cant even win the FIRST race of the same FIRST CUP.
On top of that polyphony increased laps for B-spec so expect to do an average of 4-6 laps per race at the beggining and increasing has you open further cups.
Now the biggest annoyance of all...WAIT FOR IT... They TOOK OUT the SPEED UP FUNCTION in B-Spec so you gotta sit and watch 6 laps of your moronic driver making mistakes.

• Premium Cars

Now most people are thinking why i have something against premium cars.
    Nothing really, they look beatiful and theres around 200 of them but you wont be using many of them any time soon, plus theres not really 200 different cars...About 10 to 20 are Nascar cars, then you have 2 F1 cars and a few rally so you know now that theres nowhere near 200 different cars and like i said you wont be using most of them anytime soon unless you save ALOOOT.

Most of the premium cars are very expensive but on top of that now require a level (A-Spec Level) to be bought.
    So if you level 0 as you start and you want a goodish car you either have to go for standard cars or buy premium cars that are not even worth having.
    The only one i saw and bought was the honda civic, because i didnt have any money and i didnt have the level to buy them.

But dont worry polyphony found a way to make you increase your level before starting your progress in Gt Mode Cups.
    DO SOME LICENSES...AND SOME KARTING...AND SOME NASCAR SCHOOLING BY JEFF GORDON.
    The last of the begginer challenges before you reach level 5 is the Top Gear challenge which is actually some fun.

I think thats it for now, i had more in my head but with all the writting i forgot.

IMO i think this game does not reach the standard it was suppose to.
If they spend less time you nascar schooling bull***** challenges and s making premium nascar cars and actually made some more premium cars which are at this present time considered standard and look like ***** maybe GT5 would have been the game everyone was expecting.

Of course thats not all 20 tracks with different variations.Where are the missing tracks that were in GT4?

Why spend about 6 months making the new Red Bull car they put into the game when more things needed some attention?

Why make Prologue when the actual GT5 Real Driving Simulator needed more time invested into it.

They wanted to make the PERFECT GAME but they forgot the basics in the midst of this.

DO NOT TOUCH WHAT ISNT BROKEN
Nearly 6 years and still feels like an incomplete game.

Oh well still not a bad game but its far from perfect.

Thanks for reading and sorry for my poor grammar.

P.S - Will be answering questions when i can about the game.

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

alfaalfaV6

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
alfaalfaV6
Accepted Solution

I have both FM3 and GT5, and i can say this, for all the hype and pomp from PD and Sony, well GT5 isn't as gret as i expected, so much so that i'd say FM3 could like FIFA games and Pro Evo, start to nudge ahead as the true petrol heads game of choice.

Not happy with GT5 yet i still play FM3. The physics in GT5 arent as good as people are making out either.

0 Kudos

Re: Gran Turismo 5 Impressions

/16

hytje7

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hytje7
Accepted Solution

i totally agree haha... ive been playing racing-games since 1997 and know the first gt-game, which was the best gt game ever made (in my opinion that is) they call GT5 a racing simulator... it is all but that !!!

in reallife racing u can nudge eachother for exemple, which is not even allowed in the game.

i send the game back to the store and got my money back, cos its so unrealistic in every way compared to other racing-games i would call it an abomination. if you cant even steer a super slow car through a corner normally......... its a shame for all racing-games fans that they had to wait so long for this disappointment. my first racing-game was F1  1997.  made by bizarre-creations, now i bought a very funny and simulator-like game from them again, namely Blur. at least these guys learned something in 13 years about race-games. Good luck with the game, and commiserations my friend.

a fellow petrolhead

0 Kudos

/16

Nat-Nay

33%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nat-Nay
Accepted Solution

I just bought a convertible BMW, and I wanted to know if you could race with the roof down?

0 Kudos

/16

BJF37

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BJF37
Accepted Solution

Okay, yes a fan myself.. waited 2 years to purchase the GT5 signature.. 

"$300 tin box of disapointment"

If any one knows where to find the 'open wheelers' and/or a pre 79' car that will actually keep up with the competition (even with full on modifications) please let me know!

Constantly searching used cars to find above... (pending brick wall) HELP!!

0 Kudos

/16

BJF37

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BJF37
Accepted Solution

Please.Please. Tell me someone, how to play this game, I have waited 2yrs for what ???. This would be the biggest farcical  disappointment I have ever purchased.  Sony has a lot to answer for - how on earth can we ever earn enough money to puchase further cars in the game ie:- Formula One.  I have in stock many cars worth millions in my garage that I cannot sell or trade to earn enough to advance any further in the game.  Also try driving a car into a brick wall at high speed and come out damage free - rediculous - as this is supposed to be a Real Driving Simulator.

0 Kudos

/16

zeeri0us

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
zeeri0us
Accepted Solution

well in other words driving means driving, not crashing, correct me if I'm wrong :)

And for BluGardian guy who always love to bable about how bad physics are, you should read an review made by CAR JOURNALISTS which clearly said that physics are pretty much correct in Gran Turismo 5, and even J.Kankkunen (a world rally champion) tested GT5 out and said it is very accurate tho cornering in gravel should be more "aggressive" so thing is, do I believe a guy with nasty nickname or an real champion in rally about game physics.... errr. (same thing with real life car journalists)

Sam

0 Kudos

/16

BluGardian

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BluGardian
Accepted Solution

What do you mean a guy with a nasty nickname? I take it your one of the guys who think gt5 is a 5 star game and has a go at anyone who has a differing opinion. Somehow i can see kankkunen having a go on it at a motorsport convention but i doubt he spends his time playing video games unless he's like seb loeb who is pocketing £100k for his special challenge insertion. I think i'll value the opinion of dozens of gaming experts over a great rally driver who played a video game for half an hour.

Go dip into your overdraft and hire a lotus elise and you'll see it's not like driving on black ice. I criticised a computer game get a grip!!!!!!

0 Kudos

/16

Mokrous

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mokrous
Accepted Solution

OMG !!! Lost money! I had PS2 with GT4 and it was fast, logical, handy. Just perfect in it's time.

Now after waiting so many years, I had in my room new PS3 with GT5. I'm sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting. PS3 is big, slow, horrible 230 Watts consuming machine and GT5 lost logic and all what I loved on GT4. Reactions of the system are too slow, replay is not fluid like 15fps, physics is not the physics!!! Everything is complicated, boring, confusing. Cars are not doing what I want. I think, that nobody from GT5 team sat in real car. And sounds??? The best JOKE!!! All cars sounds like mixer. Again, nobody from GT5 team probably never sat in real car. I really don't understand for what we all were waiting. I'm going to sell my new PS3 and GT5 to some child. I'm 37 and I wanted some handy and real game.

I agree, that 200 or 300 cars should be enough. The same for the race. 16 opponents, why?

Why on GT4 with PS2 standard controller I was able to brake and steer and accelerate fluidly using press sensitive buttons on the controller and on new game it is impossible??? Why? Why? Why? Please put on the label warning: "Playing is possible only with official steering wheel" or something like that.

I will wait for the new FORZA 4 and will see if the competitive console with competitive game will make me happier.

GT5 and PS3 only made me upset, for loosing money 

0 Kudos

/16

getafug

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
getafug
Accepted Solution
Oh dear oh dear...................................
0 Kudos

/16

Mokrous

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mokrous
Accepted Solution

Oh dear oh dear, what??? Better graphics on some cars and I have to be happy with the rest?

No no, if I will take a picture of a piece of ***** with my profi camera with pro lenses, it still will be only piece of ***** with hi-resolution.

0 Kudos

/16

baly1234

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
baly1234
Accepted Solution
love it, dont give a damn about cockpit views, got the cars i like,so dont care about the others. as long as me and my mates can have excellent races, place the car on the track where we want, then enjoy the replay I'm happy. This is the essence of racing games, I'm not some fanboy. But i think that people are overlooking the pure enjoyment of racing . Thats my opinion.
0 Kudos

/16

doomlock1512

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
doomlock1512
Accepted Solution

After trawling through so many different forum threads I thought id pipe in and give my Impression.

I wouldn't call my self biased, I have both PS3 and Xbox. Only because I'm inpatient and didn't want to wait for the Fanatec GT2 to come back in stock. So I got myself a PS3 and bought the cheap Fanatec Carrera bundle to use with GT5 and TDU 2 when it eventually comes out.

Anyway back to GT5...

First impressions where a little disappointing due to the fact that I cant have a cockpit view in the cars I want. Well that's not all bad news, there's 1000 cars to play with and 200 of them I can have the view I want.

Secondly the menu layout is..     Well how can I put this...          TERRIBLE!!

Loading times are stupid but to be fair this doesn't bother me i don't mind waiting a little.

I'm going to stop here before I carry on writing a essay on the bad points of GT5 but I'm Going say this...

GT5 at points can be brilliant...      But at others its just c.r.a.p

Forza 3 > GT5 (hate to say it, always loved the GT series)

Just a Shame my Wheel is only PC/PS3 :(

0 Kudos

/16

KronicLee

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KronicLee
Accepted Solution
I've always loved Gran Turismo, and bought a PS3 last January for it (and watched with horror as it was pushed back time after time and PS3's got cheaper and cheaper for a better package in the meantime, DAMN YOU PD!). While it got delayed, I bought an Xbox 360 and Forza 3 because of what I saw at my friends house. The whole time I was thinking "WOW GT5 is going to be amazing... 5 years in development from the guys that STARTED this stuff!"

And when I finally got the game I was HORRIFIED. I have spent 2 months giving it a chance, but to be honest the truth is plain and simple... I've been swindled, and I've been playing a MUCH BETTER racing sim for a year. Forza 3.

I have no doubt Forza 4 will be amazing, and they will STILL be "updating" this giant piece of crap in the meantime.

Great sense of speed, everything else is garbage. They even tailor the buttons so you almost HAVE to buy a wheel to play it with any sort of realism, that is BULLSH!T. All this time, and the GRAPHICS AREN'T EVEN ON PAR WITH GAMES THAT WERE RELEASED OVER A YEAR AGO. W...T...F...

I could go on for hours about what is wrong with this game, but I literally am not even going to be bothered writing that much. LOOK AT FORZA 3 AND YOU WILL SEE FOR YOURSELF.
0 Kudos

The harsh reality is that GT3, GT4, Forza 2, Forza 3 are all without a doubt in the world, far better games than GT5. PD I want my money back, you lied to me, and can't even keep up with racing games that are 4 years old or more.
/16

Mokrous

26%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mokrous
Accepted Solution
And every contact of the car with everything sounds like an empty 200 litres barrel :-) fantastic. Real reality for my high-end dynaudio Confidence :-)
Bravo GT5 team!!! You are the best sellers of fake. And if you will not to solve all those problems in very early future through the patches, you will loose and this will be the last attempt. Sorry for my English, I'm from the eastern Europe. But I have a real car, so I will drive it rather than twitch with pseudorealistic cars in GT5 on PS3. It looks like epileptic seizure. For all of you, who did the same mistake as me: Enjoy it!!!
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel