Level 4

Re: IGN US : GT5 = 8.5/10

86/100 on metacritic so far, based on 10 reviews
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/gran-turismo-5
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (448 Views)
Level 3

It's a bit of an oddball review. They say the cars and physics are great, but not the presentation.

It probably won't stop anyone. GT4 didn't exactly get great review scores either for that matter, at least not from IGN if I remember right. There may be a few lemons in the field, but I can guarantee the most prestigious cars in the game (the line-ups from Ferrari, Jaguar, Aston Martin etc.) will shine.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (440 Views)
Level 1

The idiot reviwer at IGN is a Xbox / forza FANBOY

And how can you review a game that you have only played for a couple of hours, IGN have the crapest reviews ever they play about 20% of a game or less and then write some Fanboy review. 

Never take IGN reviews seriously they are a bunch of idiots...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (385 Views)
Level 2

Played GT5 today. Would give it 6/10. Not impressed at all. Much prefer F1 2010 to GT5. Don't they get that bumper cars is so 1990s?
www.ps3trophies.co.uk
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (358 Views)
Level 5

I normally discount IGN reviews because they're overly optimistic. In this case it might be the opposite. Still while GT is undoubtedly a great game I think it will suffer in the review scores simply because of the weight of expectation 6 years of development brings.

Playing the game myself I have no idea why it took them that long to get this product out the door. It's more or less the same as prologue in almost every way.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (344 Views)
Level 3

*puts up the flame umbrella*

In my opinion that score's not too far wrong. I'd bump it up to a 9.0, but anything higher I think gives the wrong impression about the game. The graphics are awesome yes, but unfortunately that's about the biggest step-up from GT4. Six years later and everything else is basically the same, some minor handling tweaks and more cars including Ferrari and Lamborghini are welcome, but essentially it's just more of the same and that will be good enough for most people. To me what isn't good enough is that there's only 20 tracks and half of them were in GT4 (I think that Forest one has been there since about GT1???).

To some, it will be all about the cars and that's fine, but doubling the tracks would've helped. If you have 20 tracks and 1000 cars, logic prevails that you'll need to race each track an average of 50 times to experience every car. Tracks where every corner is chiseled in the minds of fanatics who've played every GT up to and including this one.

What I would say is, don't be offended by the review scores. I'm loving it, I had two multi-hour sittings today and it was great. But to get into 9.5-10 category it needed to be revolutionary as a game. As a game, really GT5 is more GT4 HD + 300 extra cars.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (297 Views)
Level 7

I sense that there is going to be a lot of backlash with reviewers, over just how long Gran Turismo took to be made, and yeah fanboy elitism. Lets face it, it's there and getting worse. Game journalism is completely for the most part a unprofessional endeavour right now.

I hardly ever look at any reviews anymore. I'm quite fond of http://www.psxextreme.com/ though. they do some great reviews with a bit of a integrity at least. My advice, especially ignore sites like IGN, their integrity went out awhile ago.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (288 Views)

I would probably give the game a 9/10 and I love gran turismo more than any other driving game

overall it's awesome but it misses the 10 for me because of this...

#1 - some tracks like laguna seca look very bland.. while others look great, a bit inconsistant.

#2 - standard cars..they're just from gran turismo 4 but stretched to fit 1080p.

#3 - no drag racing, which I've been wanting since GT2.. which they almost put in then removed it.

#4 - some strange graphic blur border around cars when smoke and rain are going on.
#5  -some car sounds are very old and fake sounding.
#6 - it took years and years for this? while it's pretty great and I appreciate very much all the work kazunori and his team put into it.. it doesn't blow away the competition like I'd hoped.. some parts do..but I think the game was a bit overhyped and the graphics range from bland to epic.. inconsistant look to the game.

all that takes 1 point away for me.. because all the awesome stuff pushes it back up like smoke, rain, awesome physics, classic gran turismo tuning cars, license tests, original tracks etc, I'm glad gran turismo is back.. I think maybe that  gran turismo 6 will be the real real deal.. since he grabbed go karts from that and he is already working on it when gt5 was released.. I believe gt5-gt6 will be like gt3-gt4. a big improvment again even on the same console.

as a note about this game taking so long to come out.. maybe polyphony needs to expand their team? seems like the best way to cut down development time is to get more people working on it.. gran turismo 5 is still the best driving game out there and I'm going back to play it right now woohoo!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (282 Views)
Level 7

The work they did for Gran Turismo 4 with reusing the cars for the standards in GT5 is still getting details that weren't there in GT4 as they designed with a higher detail than was possible to show in 4 to begin with.

Kindof like Battlestar Galactica being seen as intended on Bluray as it was completely shot on HD cameras. Just saying....
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (274 Views)