96%
02 Rank
Progress

Just got Grand Turismo 5 and OMFG

[ Edited ]
41 Replies 1,509 Views edited 02-04-2011
02 Apr 2011
By Neoteam1

Got to do a update that is 600mb then another update thats 300mb if this games has a bug that big then it shouldnt of been released. its taken me an hour just to do 1 update now im on the second. I dont buy games just to look at a white bar i want to play them at some point.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Pyrofer

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Pyrofer
Accepted Solution
Yeah, I spose the install is optional.

I also take your point about the car collection.

My point is, who cares what car you drive in GT5 because from the inside view, they are all just as boring. I have had the GT series in the past and mostly just show it to people to say "look how amazing this looks!" but then after a lap turn it off and put a fun game on to play.

It can't be just me can it?

I seriously can't see the fun in letting it Race FOR you while you are out!
0 Kudos

Re: Just got Gran Turismo 5 and OMFG

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

ArsenalMark

• Award Winner
95%
06 Rank
Progress
ArsenalMark
Accepted Solution

Pyrofer wrote:
Yeah, I spose the install is optional.

I also take your point about the car collection.

My point is, who cares what car you drive in GT5 because from the inside view, they are all just as boring. I have had the GT series in the past and mostly just show it to people to say "look how amazing this looks!" but then after a lap turn it off and put a fun game on to play.

It can't be just me can it?

I seriously can't see the fun in letting it Race FOR you while you are out!

I agree - but the game is made for those who enjoy the simulation more than arcade, it just comes down to preferance ;)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

WikidEvilGenius

97%
04 Rank
Progress
WikidEvilGenius
Accepted Solution

ArsenalMark wrote:

Pyrofer wrote:
Can't complain that watching it install was more fun than playing?

Um, Yes I can.

It was boring. I deleted it from the HD to get my space back and will not be putting that disk in ever again.

If I want an uber-realistic driving experience, I can get in my car. I play PS3 for fun. Its MotorStorm all the way for me!

You have a collection of over 1000 cars, some of which don't even exist anymore? Holy wowzers! Can I come round your house?!

But no - you took the wrong thing out of my post, partly my post for not making it obvious - I was saying you can't really complain about a long install when it's entirely optional.

Not to mention more than 20 world famous driving circuits with over 70 variations.

Here is some of the free update content not including bug fixes:

Seasonal Events (regulary updated with new races)
Online Dealership (regulary updated with rare cars)
Online Race Rewards and Experience
Driving Distance and Number of Wins in Online Races
Improved Rewards
Race Information Display
Save Data Backup
Personal BGM (Menu)
Integration with the Website
Remote Racing
Remote Racing from a Web Browser
Using the Course Maker in Online Races
Introduction of Performance Points in Online Races
Increased Rewards and Experience Online
More Event Settings in Online Races
More Penalties for Special Events
Event Rewards and Experience Adjusted
Car Loan in Events
More Car Settings
Multi-Monitor Feature
Friend Rankings

The substantial install time is partly due to the massive amount of detail included in premium car textures. You have the option to do a full install or install the game on the fly as you load new features. Remote racing was not designed to let it race while you go out. It's intended for you to access races from your web browser if you decide to leave your PS3 in server standby mode. You can use this from any PC to earn credits and gain xp in b-spec. You can also improve your drivers and share them with your friends to net you more credits.

A lot of people prefer arcade racers where you can take a corner at 200mph and the tyres stick to the track like glue. I personally find this unrealistic, stupid and pointless. I prefer to race cars how they should behave in real life not in the land of fiction. Unlike other racing games GT academy offers people the chance to become professional racing car drivers in the real world.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hentis

88%
08 Rank
Progress
Hentis
Accepted Solution

WikidEvilGenius wrote:

ArsenalMark wrote:

Pyrofer wrote:

Um, Yes I can.

It was boring. I deleted it from the HD to get my space back and will not be putting that disk in ever again.

If I want an uber-realistic driving experience, I can get in my car. I play PS3 for fun. Its MotorStorm all the way for me!

You have a collection of over 1000 cars, some of which don't even exist anymore? Holy wowzers! Can I come round your house?!

But no - you took the wrong thing out of my post, partly my post for not making it obvious - I was saying you can't really complain about a long install when it's entirely optional.

Not to mention more than 20 world famous driving circuits with over 70 variations.

Here is some of the free update content not including bug fixes:

Seasonal Events (regulary updated with new races)
Online Dealership (regulary updated with rare cars)
Online Race Rewards and Experience
Driving Distance and Number of Wins in Online Races
Improved Rewards
Race Information Display
Save Data Backup
Personal BGM (Menu)
Integration with the Website
Remote Racing
Remote Racing from a Web Browser
Using the Course Maker in Online Races
Introduction of Performance Points in Online Races
Increased Rewards and Experience Online
More Event Settings in Online Races
More Penalties for Special Events
Event Rewards and Experience Adjusted
Car Loan in Events
More Car Settings
Multi-Monitor Feature
Friend Rankings

The substantial install time is partly due to the massive amount of detail included in premium car textures. You have the option to do a full install or install the game on the fly as you load new features. Remote racing was not designed to let it race while you go out. It's intended for you to access races from your web browser if you decide to leave your PS3 in server standby mode. You can use this from any PC to earn credits and gain xp in b-spec. You can also improve your drivers and share them with your friends to net you more credits.

A lot of people prefer arcade racers where you can take a corner at 200mph and the tyres stick to the track like glue. I personally find this unrealistic, stupid and pointless. I prefer to race cars how they should behave in real life not in the land of fiction. Unlike other racing games GT academy offers people the chance to become professional racing car drivers in the real world.

Thumbs up from me Stewie errr genius!

Hentis

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

unclebobert87

80%
02 Rank
Progress
unclebobert87
Accepted Solution
I dont leave my PS3 on, i just have all 6 drivers shared, if they get used great. I use the PS3 to play games myself, and GT is a fun game. Played it once? You haven't given it chance. Once you get some races and licences out the way, its alot better, and if you dont want to do that, go online. Just let other people use your Bobs and save your precious electric
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Hentis

88%
08 Rank
Progress
Hentis
Accepted Solution

This morning and upto about 5 minutes ago I have been doing work on my website, but I have had the PS3 on with GT5 doing remote racing on one of the PC's. I have earnt a few people some money and a few of them have earnt me some money. To ber honest if you dont like the game then take it back and trade it ion, dont just complain about it. I have sat through all the installation of 10 gig on launch night as well s having to download a 600 meg  patch and further patches and really most people that moan about hakving to ssit round waiting for a game to install really it will take a damn site longer to load the data from the blu ray every time.

As per the game has two big patches so it must be bugged to hell, again someone with no knowledge of GT. I have seen several threads lik this started up by I hate to say it "Noobs" that really dont know anything about the GT franchise, just because they dont like the game. Take it back or try it a bit more.

Hentis

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

WikidEvilGenius

97%
04 Rank
Progress
WikidEvilGenius
Accepted Solution

Hentis wrote:

Thumbs up from me Stewie errr genius!

Hentis

Stewie was already taken. What the deuce? Damn you PSN names! :Evil:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

zinep

89%
07 Rank
Progress
zinep
Accepted Solution

Pyrofer wrote:

Um, Yes I can.

I agree completely.

Although I'm not much into racing games, I like racing through some of the insane tracks in MotorStorm, and WipeOut HD is fun thanks to the various boosters and because it manages to get me to feel that sensation of "I'm travelling at a great speed".

I didn't like GT5 one bit. I ran it once, and I'll probably never run it again unless one of my friends wants to see it.

Some time back I realized that games which strive for ultra-realism isn't really my thing. Toss in some SciFi-elements, fantasy or whatever, and it has a much bigger chance to appeal to me.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ProjectVRD

96%
06 Rank
Progress
ProjectVRD
Accepted Solution

zinep wrote:

Pyrofer wrote:

Um, Yes I can.

I agree completely.

Although I'm not much into racing games, I like racing through some of the insane tracks in MotorStorm, and WipeOut HD is fun thanks to the various boosters and because it manages to get me to feel that sensation of "I'm travelling at a great speed".

I didn't like GT5 one bit. I ran it once, and I'll probably never run it again unless one of my friends wants to see it.

Some time back I realized that games which strive for ultra-realism isn't really my thing. Toss in some SciFi-elements, fantasy or whatever, and it has a much bigger chance to appeal to me.

You are Pyrofer wouldn't last 1 minute on the 'Ring in a Le Mans car.

There is nothing in Motorstorm that simulates that sort of speed, and only Wipeout would match it in terms of how quickly corners come up at you because the 'Ring is so narrow.

The fact of the matter is that later on in the game GT5 is still simulation but beats arcade for sense of speed depending on what tracks and cars you are driving.

You see... this GT5 game filters out the boys from men. The Men will continue with the simulation while the boys will carry on in the safe zone of the arcade racer.

PS. I love Motorstorm and WipeOut but let not get ahead of ourselves here, when you start hitting Extreme Series and beyond in GT5 you many years of practice in arcade racing will not help you at all. You will have the sense of speed but no control, do not go on a real life track day.... you will crash your car.

But these boys here, they will know the basics from GT5. It is that realistic and on narrow tracks even 120MPH can be quite fast, I know, I have done a couple of track days in my VXR on some narrow tracks.

0 Kudos

You'll be surprised what you come across on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=LLQj5RfmzQZHkYiIaW8h-a6g

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Harpzlee

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Harpzlee
Accepted Solution
I'm really disappointed with the way there's very little in the way of a sense of speed in GT. You look at games like Need For Speed, they over use the effect to be fair but look at PGR for example, they got it right. There's enough blur to make you feel like you're travelling at 200mph, but not too much. GT only has blur on replays, and it looks good, why they don't incorporate it into the actual racing I don't know. Everything is too clean and crisp at 200mph on GT, it's very Japanese.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

zeeri0us

84%
02 Rank
Progress
zeeri0us
Accepted Solution

"blur" effect as you call it is kinda interesting, because when you hit something like 200 km/h speed, your eyes will focus on road instead of trees or whatsoever, this is exactly how it works in GT5, especially when using cockpit view, you can see how it shakes and every bump makes it shake even more, if real life racing would look like NFS or PGR games, drivers would crash more often, and there is the factor that visuals come out from  television, which is only a flat screen, unlike in a proper car, you'll be surrounded by windows, unless having 3D telly, you just cant see the speed as the way it shows when sitting on a race car going fast (been there being a co-pilot in a rally car)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

gabuk

80%
02 Rank
Progress
gabuk
Accepted Solution

You don't see a blur whilst driving, this is just introduced in games to enhance the effects of speed. Although the effect of blur etc in games can be done quite well to enhance that feeling of speed its just not fact that whilst driving slow or fast a human's eyes do not blur as speed increases.

Even peripheral vision can be just as detailed if not better than forward vision in regards to driving a race car. Peripheral vision is required to spot braking points when at them, cars around you, just stuff happening outside the drivers forward vision and even peripheral vision does not blur with speed its all just for gaming purposes i suspect.

I remeber Dale Jr within NASCAR saying he could spot a dime on the race track travelling at 190mph, kinda proof that vision does not blur, especially pro race drivers who are training their eyes each time ontrack, remember most people dont train their eyes for travelling at 200mph :)

Drive any country road in your car or parents car and you will not see stuff like trees or cows blur as you go past em (depends what your focus is in a way) although again for gaming purposes it can be ideal although within GT i have no problem with a lack of say arcade type blur found in other games although in other games it may work just fine.

Cockpit view as mentioned above can give you a better feeling within GT, more a screen shake as it would be than a blur like the first street race in The Fast and Furious or whatever the first movie was called ?

I have driven round Daytona Int Speedway in real life at 165mph and experienced no blur in my vision, i think i would be heading to Spec Savers if i had been !

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Musicmanwigston

44%
02 Rank
Progress
Musicmanwigston
Accepted Solution

does anyone get that problem in the game where the straight lines in shadows ect are not straight but zig zaggy ... ido love this game but im not to sure about the graphics

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MastrGT

99%
07 Rank
Progress
MastrGT
Accepted Solution

Musicmanwigston wrote:

does anyone get that problem in the game where the straight lines in shadows ect are not straight but zig zaggy ... ido love this game but im not to sure about the graphics

The jaggies are a function of the PS3 anti-aliasing graphics and which resolution you want to play GT in.

For example, if you play GT in the PS3's highest resolution, then you will see the biggest jaggies. If you use 720p, then you will make the best compromise between the most jaggies and having high resolution graphics. PD can only do so much about this and I think they did the best that they could, within the limitations of the PS3 environment.

So, to some degree, you control what you see on-screen.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DR_BATCH

99%
03 Rank
Progress
DR_BATCH
Accepted Solution
motorstorms fun but more arcade. the thing i hate about gt5 is the loading times i feel like putting my heed threw the wall most of the time. anymore than 3 laps i get bored its alright no really great fun.lol.
0 Kudos

http://soundcloud.com/david-ross-batchelor/tracks

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DR_BATCH

99%
03 Rank
Progress
DR_BATCH
Accepted Solution
toca on the ps2 was great all different cars with real damage wheels falling off etc do you think this will come out on the ps3 as i really liked it. monster trucks etc.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MastrGT

99%
07 Rank
Progress
MastrGT
Accepted Solution

> anymore than 3 laps i get bored its alright no really great fun

Three Laps? That's barely a warm-up.

If you are bored while racing, then either racing sims may not be your thing or maybe you need to change your game-plan.

ToCA 3 was a great game, but it doesn't look as if anything quite like it will be coming out of Codemasters. It will play on the PS3, if you have the first edition of theconsole. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DR_BATCH

99%
03 Rank
Progress
DR_BATCH
Accepted Solution
i just find it boring m8 i njoy djin better and prefer games like uncharted or cod gt5 is ok i like the cars its just a bit much i end up just daydreaming after 3 laps and get bored also get sore hands. not played gt since about a spec 3 mind you was never really into consoles just decided to get one for my 30th and take time out from djing. gt5 is one of the best simulation games ive seen thow i love ferraris :-).
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
existenz1
Accepted Solution

output to 5 tvs simultanously  support (with 5 PS3s and 5 copies of the game)

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/support/d22037.html

0 Kudos

Re: Just got Grand Turismo 5 and OMFG

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

DR_BATCH

99%
03 Rank
Progress
DR_BATCH
Accepted Solution
TOOK ME 2 HOURS TO INSTALL AND UPDATE BE FOR PLAYING.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GTAndy36

92%
02 Rank
Progress
GTAndy36
Accepted Solution

Hey people, haven't posted here in quite a while... so hello :)

About this blurring thing in recent racers... the fact of the matter is, if your vision is blurring when driving fast in a car, you'd better slow down and find the nearest specsavers. You do not get "blurring", your eyes simply focus on the road ahead. In Gran Turismo, you do not get blur because it's not needed. If you're focusing on the road ahead, the environment will speed past your line of vision and for want of a better word will "blur" out naturally... like in the real world.

Games like NFS Shift, all this blurring just kills any immersion I want from a racer. I'm already focusing on the road, that corner over there, you don't need to focus it for me!

Secondly, if you're judging the game by the fact you've got to wait for it to install... then immediately going to the remote racing which in all honesty is a very tiny small almost insignificant part of Gran Turismo 5, then that's your bag. Start racing offline, building your garage up, getting your licences and get racing with other people online, preferably in community groups (so you're away from eejits that solely crash you in the public lobbies)

Sure, I'll be the first to recognise Gran Turismo 5 probably won't win over many people that are new to the series... cos it's... well, it has it's many issues. But give it a proper chance, start racing with groups of people, taking part in events run by forum communities (there's thousands around btw)... then tell me the game is a waste of time.

0 Kudos

Photobucket
Click for RoninGT
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel