11 Mar 2011
Playstation Staff

Problems on Forum after Maintanece

19 Replies 600 Views Created 11-03-2011

Anyone else having problems with the layout of the forum pages. After the servers were down for maintanence the other day, I cannot get the usual layout of the forum pages, just endless scrolls of options and text. Tried reloading and refreshing countless times, still comes up the same, like the pages have not loaded right. Any ideas????

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20 (600 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: Problems on Forum after Maintanece

GraphiteGB wrote:
Gran turismo forums layout has died again. Only on webkit ( safari and so on ) but not gecko (firefox and mozilla based browsers ).
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
please note exact same browser only the user agent was changed
Youll have to navigate away from the site and empty the cache change user agent on browser and the return to the site. Only firefox and IE are supported other browser layout errors are not rushed.
SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner.
Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user. Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20 (573 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I have the exact same issue using Chrome. Getting a bit fed up of having to use IE7 for just one of the many websites I visit each day.

GraphiteGB wrote:
Youll have to navigate away from the site and empty the cache change user agent on browser and the return to the site.

Come again? What is a browsers 'user agent'?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20 (532 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I had the same problem with chrome.

What he means is is clearing the itnernet cache out from the browser. Please make sure you know all of your passwords before you do this as it will delete all that stuff. To do it in chrome, go to your options using the wrench then go "under the bonnet" , you can then clear your browsing data from there and this should resolve your problem...

Greaver.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20 (521 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
A user agent is a command string that says hello to the site...im FireFox / safari / IE / Chrome
It also says buy the way Im running on LINUX / OSX / Windows / IOS or any other OS from the browser.
Its why sites switch the information they offer you and change lay out when you log on with a Mobile.

Its why PC browsers could not access http://ps3-sd.uk.playstation.com/home/ as they dont have the same User agent as the PS3 browser.
but because the user agent of the PS3 browser is not a PC browser its user agent causes the site eu.playstation.com to divert it to the other site.
But change the user agent and any device can access the PS3 site.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Ta da
Think this is called browser spoofing. but user agent use is supposed to be replaced with real java script browser detection scripts but lithium don't use them or this would not work. Look up a user agent switcher options in google for your browser.
Safaris is in the debu menu. Most mobiles have 1 in the settings menu.
SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner.
Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user. Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20 (511 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Greaver- wrote:

I had the same problem with chrome.

What he means is is clearing the itnernet cache out from the browser. Please make sure you know all of your passwords before you do this as it will delete all that stuff. To do it in chrome, go to your options using the wrench then go "under the bonnet" , you can then clear your browsing data from there and this should resolve your problem...

Greaver.

Thanks, but I know what the cache is. It was the 'user agent' part I didn't get. I've already  cleared everything, and it has made no difference at all. This forum is still buggered in Chrome.

Guess I'll have a quick look into the user agent then. If it can't be sorted then whatever... no great loss.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20 (494 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

haha yeah, I didn't quite understand what he meant haha. I tried to do the clearing as well but it seems it didn't work. It worked last time to clear the cache but it may have been a coincedence :smileyhappy:.

I use Chrome as well though and it's annoying having to use IE haha.

Greaver.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20 (477 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Changing the user agent does indeed fix this problem. However, it's not much of a solution. I tried a Chrome Extension which claimed to be a browser spoofer, but it didn't work. I then tried creating a new shortcut and adding a switch to change the agent to IE8. It worked, but appears to slow Chrome down a fair bit and also prevents some of Googles pages from loading. Oh well... got two shortcuts for now, until this gets sorted out properly.

For anyone wanting to know how to do it, add --user-agent="custom string" to the target in the shortcut to chrome. For example, this is how to make chrome report itself as IE8 on my machine:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Start Chrome with that shortcut, and sites will think you're using IE8.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20 (431 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Anyone speaking English here? :Lol::Help:

Always used to use Chrome without this problem? If it aint' broken, don't fix it!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20 (407 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Goffik wrote:

Changing the user agent does indeed fix this problem. However, it's not much of a solution. I tried a Chrome Extension which claimed to be a browser spoofer, but it didn't work. I then tried creating a new shortcut and adding a switch to change the agent to IE8. It worked, but appears to slow Chrome down a fair bit and also prevents some of Googles pages from loading. Oh well... got two shortcuts for now, until this gets sorted out properly.

For anyone wanting to know how to do it, add --user-agent="custom string" to the target in the shortcut to chrome. For example, this is how to make chrome report itself as IE8 on my machine:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Start Chrome with that shortcut, and sites will think you're using IE8.

I have found an easier way if you would like to give it a go.

Download the google extension in chrome called the IE tab. It will open up a tab for you and will emulate IE explorer. I tried it and it allows this forum to work perfectly. Saves me having to mess aorund with the web browser then. Give it a go and see what you think :smileyhappy:

Greaver.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20 (384 Views)
0 Kudos