95%
08 Rank
Progress

Recommended GT6 Updating Instructions

[ Edited ]
143 Replies 49,803 Views edited 31-07-2015
11 Dec 2014
By MastrGT

It seems that the GT6 updating errors are being caused by players not updating for longer periods of time. Those who keep up with updates seem to have less problems. The following instructions are being recommended to deal with updating errors.

PDI is looking to see if these instructions can be further simplified.

It seems the root cause of this was that players would let significant time lapse between updating GT6. When finally updating, the patches will download/install properly, however there is a file extraction that occurs while on the main menu warning screen. If this file extraction gets too big, the install will fail (after waiting for a very long time). 

Steps to address the “Installation Failed” issue:
  1. Backup save data file to PS Plus or USB drive and delete existing save data file from the PS3 prior to update process *
  2. Within the Games tab of the XMB select Game Data Utility
  3. Highlight GT6 Game Data and press the “Triangle" button and select DELETE
  4. While connected to PSN, highlight the GT6 game disc/game file from the XMB
  5. Press the “Triangle” button and select “Check for Updates” 
  6. Accept the update prompts and begin patch process via the XMB
  7. Allow the first 6 patches to download and install.
  8. Once the 6th patch has finished installing, press the “Circle” button to cancel the download process
  9. Scroll left while on the XMB, and highlight the Settings Tab
  10. Scroll down to the Network Settings tab>Internet Connection and select DISABLE (this step will prevent the title from trying to complete the remaining TPPS patch process)
  11. Boot GT6 and follow the in-game prompts until the main menu appears.  (this step will create new save data which will later be deleted)
  12. Once the initial in-game installation process is complete, press the “PS” button and Quit the game to return to the XMB
  13. Return to the Settings>Network Settings>Internet Connection screen and select ENABLE
  14. Highlight the GT6 game disc/game file and press the “Triangle” button and “Check for Updates”
  15. Once the first patch has completed it’s download/install process press the “Circle” button to Cancel
  16. Repeat steps 10-15 until all TPPS patches have been installed.
  17. Copy save data from step 1 back to the PS3 system (overwriting any existing save data that may have been created during the update process)

Although fairly complex, this worked every time. 

* If you don't have any progress, then you can skip this step

LABELS: GT PS3
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

The_Riaan_G

53%
02 Rank
Progress
The_Riaan_G
Accepted Solution

Hi all gt6 gamers.

I have been all over the web trying to solve this issue, at first when I bought this game in 2015, the update will fail downloading and when it actually did complete the download,the installation would stop at either 14% and 90ish%.

So obviously a unstable network would give you the downloading issue.

As for the installing, people are saying its the ps3's cpu that can not unpack the downloaded data correctly or even saying the downloaded update file had a hickup somewhere along the downloading sequence and then gives you an error aswell as a corrupted file which you can delete from your ps3.

So thinking its the network, I waited until we got faster/better internet, which was only recently.

With the new internet the downloading was way faster but still had a crash at installing.

Then I though maybe if I use a psn plus account and set the ps3 to download updates overnight/auto updater it should work.

So I bought a 1 month subscribtion.

I let it update itself and it was done in about 12 hours(with some other stupid patches for games thats not even on my system)

Anyway it failed again, so I took another hardrive I had spare SSD 128gb lying around, popped it in the ps3, let it format and install 4.81 from a usb flash, like you would with a new hdd.

I signed in to psn with my psn+ still active, so no games in the hdd just the ps3 OS.

I let it autoupdate again and when I came back from work, itnwas complete.

Swithced the ps3 on and a message appeared saying gt6 updates downloaded succesfully.

Then I checked in the game data folder and there was a gt6 file that was about 11gb.

I started up gt6, and no there was no prompt for updates since it was up to date.

Then gt6 started its in game install. (this is the one that can estimate a ridonkulous amount of minutes, mine was at 900min at a time)

I watched every now and again for the hdd light on the ps3, if it was still blinking.(it was)

There was a time the ps3 wanted to shut itself down(power settings was on default, probably 30min)

Anyway I caught that and just moved the controller,(btw, this can make your gt6 fail its ingame update process if the ps3 turns itself off while installing)

Not to long and it was done and gt6 started up with version 1.22 in the top left hand corner.

I am now playing from scratch as my save file was also lost somewhere in this process and the psn cloud save file could not recover.

So to anyone who still wants to play this game and the new content, either by a cheap hdd and try only gt6 on that one, and/or buy a 1 month psn+ account, and let it download by itself.

Goodluck to everyone still having issues, if I could I would clone my hdd and give it to others to enjoy this game.

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Yogi42

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Yogi42
Accepted Solution

This may fit in the category as a stupid question, but... WHY is there not a rebuild of the main game file? Seems like a lot of wasted bandwidth to me. I just purchased the game, yeah I know how long it's been out, but just what are these guys thinking?  Why make us all sit through this nightmare of updating the the files? I seem to be making progress using the above method, but it's just a stupid waste of my time. No thanks Sony :-( 

Mark

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

89%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
Yogi42
Accepted Solution

As you already mentioned, this game has been out for a long time..  over that time it has had many updates to bring the game play to what it is today.

All these updates have to be done in order until you reach the last one and can play online.

Yes..  it's a pain in the rear end, but there's nothing that can be done to make the process simpler.

Ava

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ewandwhoelse

54%
02 Rank
Progress
ewandwhoelse
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

Actually, they could very easily build the updates into the file downloaded from the store. Yes there's nothing that can be done for people with the disc, but a game being downloaded should not need to do 21 updates.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

89%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
ewandwhoelse
Accepted Solution

You could tell PD - the Devs that make the game.  They are so tied up with their latest creation of GT Sport that nothing will get done.

They have used the update one by one method since the GT5 days.

They also issued an updated version of the disc game that contained various added updates.

As far as I know they have not done that for the GT6 game.

Yeah   know how you feel, it can take a day to get that GT6 up to online status and longer if your internet connection is not so quick.  

For me GT6 is a distant memory now, as I have moved onto the PS4 for my driving games.  There are still people playing it..  but its so messed up with hackers it's not the same any longer.

Still a good game to play with the right people.

Ava

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ewandwhoelse

54%
02 Rank
Progress
ewandwhoelse
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

Lol, PD, like most devs, seem to do the usual abandonment of games after a while. I'll be playing mine offline but it would be nice to have the update content.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

89%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
ewandwhoelse
Accepted Solution

Yup....   standard procedure really..   make us buy the next installment of the game - after all, they are a business that makes money.

They will probably turn the Servers off with GT6 at some point as they did with GT5.

If you are after the final update to get the latest driving physics, then Yes - you will have to download all the updates.  But if you don't - just turn the online function off and stop the downloads.   You can play the game at any point offline.

Ava

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ewandwhoelse

54%
02 Rank
Progress
ewandwhoelse
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

"For me GT6 is a distant memory now, as I have moved onto the PS4 for my driving games."

I should add that the reason I'm playing it is because there are simply no good racing games for PS4. Driveclub is pure arcade, and quite fun, but not exactly anything like GT.

PCars is pretty terrible: tedious career mode, hardly any cars, no customisation options, ridiculous physics (with some cars appearing to not have any mass at all and flipping all over the place upon any impact), daft handling (if using a controller anyway, with cars spinning out for almost no reason even if traction/stab control is on - I've driven both an E92 M3 and a Vantage and neither of them spun in a circle when I put my foot down in 2nd gear!) and worst of all it's just a weather FX demo with an OK racing sim thrown in. Assetto is a great sim, except it looks bad, has an almost equally tedious career mode, no customisation options, hardly any cars as standard, and, pitiful for a "simulator", no pit stops! 

Forza is the only good racing game of the current gen, and obviously it's not on PS4.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

89%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
ewandwhoelse
Accepted Solution

Yup   that sounds about right   LOL     much the same thoughts as me after these long months playing these games.  The crop of PS4 titles have not lived up to all the hype really.

Assetto is the only one but it's not a complete game that gives you the feeling to want to play it for any amount of time.   Limited tracks and cars + a few other niggles.   Made by a small team of Devs, so it doesn't get the polished game play of some other games.

I'm now moved on to Dirt 4 and that is really...  really impressive and worth paying the cash for.

GT Sport is still some way off and I've had the pleasure of nipping down to a friends place to try the Beta as I never signed up myself due to looking after a small child etc etc..   Even that game is not really making me stand up and buying into the Pre-order market.   Keeping an eye on reviews as the game is still being fine tuned  -  there are some niggles for me that need to be ironed out before I make a decision to buy or not.

More than likely will get it...   

Ava

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ewandwhoelse

54%
02 Rank
Progress
ewandwhoelse
S2N-Ava
Accepted Solution

I forgot about Dirt, despite the fact that I also own it. It's good, although there are some niggles to - tracks too narrow, game generally too difficult to be fun (yet another case of "sim" meaning very difficult to some people) and the amount of time required to be invested to actually get good at it simply isn't worth it. However, I haven't tried Dirt 4 yet though, I probably will!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

89%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
ewandwhoelse
Accepted Solution

I've never really been keen on Rallies, but these games are really very good...  

DiRT Rally was unforgiving with it's Sim ability but also fun at the same time,  as I use a wheel - it's a challenge,  I can see how a controller would not be the best input for the game.

Rally games are single track games as you would expect - from the Rally World.

It's not circuit racing as in the likes of Assetto or the GT Series.

But, it does contain Rally Cross where you can race together on bigger/wider tracks.

Yes,  DiRT Rally was a hard game to master, but fun also.

DiRT 4 is even better, it has two Modes to this game..

1..  Fully Sim for the hardcore fans

2..  Game Mode for the lesser ability (you can tailor the settings to how you want it) - so it's perfect for people that use a Controller.

The driving physics seem to have been improved in this game also.

And a few more Rally Cross Tracks have been added, nice and wide.

It also has some rather large Sandy Tracks for Truck and Buggy Racing, this is new to this game. 

I'm happy to have purchased this, I was in two minds as I already have the DiRT Rally game..   Did I need another Rally game...    YES...  it's a great game!!

Ava

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

arnie_310

39%
02 Rank
Progress
arnie_310
Accepted Solution

Will try this fix , busy restore ps3

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mr_Jackob_cz

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Mr_Jackob_cz
Accepted Solution

Gran turismo 6 no koenigsegg?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

S2N-Ava

89%
09 Rank
Progress
S2N-Ava
Mr_Jackob_cz
Accepted Solution

Nah    not in the game, but there are lots of Nissan GTR's to choose from - or if you are not into them, lots of Mazda's

Ava

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

slydee-d

42%
02 Rank
Progress
slydee-d
Accepted Solution

Greetings

What a nightmare i just heard following these instructions. It was like watching paint dry.

I also had problems updating my GT6 to v1.10 for a while as the 2115mb file could not be installed correctly. After numerous attempts of trying to update to v1.10, I decided to only update till v1.09. This way i could at least play my game offline and didn't care about connecting online anymore.

Thanks to these instructions to install the updates via XMB 1 by 1 after patch 6 and installs worked perfectly on first go. I'm happy that i can now start playing online with others for the first time in 2 years having this game :-) Thanks a lot for this fix.

Is it correct to assume that i could have installed v1.01 - v1.09 patches on 1 take and then do v1.10 alone and then continue to patches v1.11 - v1.22 on 1 take as well?

Kind regards

Dumisani

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

MastrGT

• MVP
95%
08 Rank
Progress
MastrGT
Accepted Solution

Any PS3 can handle updating 1-6 automatically. Once you start 1.07, you have to take control, esp if you have the first PS3 Slim model. Some people have been lucky by just letting it loose, but it doesn't sound like that is your case.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

pfmwheel

22%
02 Rank
Progress
pfmwheel
Accepted Solution

I have tried a 6 or more times to follow these instructions, but my system does not allow me to go into the game with the internet off. It starts to update on the text warning screens and then fails. Anyone have a workaround for that? It is step 11 that I can't do.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Fefnefef12dee7

33%
02 Rank
Progress
Fefnefef12dee7
Accepted Solution

In other words I'm hired by Sony now? Neat, whats my new salary for fixing this game for the team. ***** off.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel