Games

Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Level 2

Re: Signature Edition Comp Problem

The contest wasn't too fair IMO.

But worst bit for me is, I thought I'd log in to give my time one final boost ... BUT my game keeps telling me that it couldn't establish a connection to the server.

Seriously NOT COOL! 

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 46 (271 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Capeview wrote:

Tassie_tiger wrote:

If I was to be totally blunt, I would suggest forgetting about the comp.

Sad but true.

I don't think it's much to do with the lvl you are at, but more how your driver skills look and how you use the commands that really matter.

The guy who is currently tops in most of the UK was at lvl 35 or 37 when he topped the charts and he's been there ever since. I even got a driver to 50 in one of the races and I was only lvl 33 or 34 at the time. And the driver I used wasn't even skilled.

After much deliveration though, and after I said to others that I thought it was a good idea having B-Spec, it's actually just one big slot machine with no real skill whatsoever involved, and more frustration, f-ings at the screen and stress than the competition is really worth.

The whole competition is one big farse as far as I'm concerned now.

Not from the point of not being able to get to the top, but for the fact there is no real frigging control over your AI drivers who just won't drive as they should for the skill lvl's they are at.

For Example, I let two drivers race the same race, both with the arrow at Horizontal Green just to see how fast they would run without any intervention on my part.

One was lvl 39 with very high, and I mean high skills that are nearly all red to the top more so than any other lvl 39 or lvl 40 driver I have, and I ran him against a lvl 23 driver with very poor skills.

Once they had run the race, there was only 5 seconds difference in the total time run.

Personally, I think that just proves how useless B-Spec and the AI on this game trully is if there is a severe lack of difference between skill lvl's. Makes the Skill lvl's completely pointless.

Yeh, I do get what your saying, but it might be a bit hard on the few that did get through to the next phase.

I could almost guarantee that these guys and gals put huge hours into this comp. so they are well deserving of their place.

I tried with many combinations of hot drivers, cold drivers, lvl 37 to lvl 40 drivers, and an endless variety of command timings.

There was no question for me that a hot driver given the correct commands at a specific time could produce the fastest total race time.

I feel certain that the hot driver was the most effective, simply because your total time was almost totally dictated by your first lap time.

Once your driver was out in front, his lap times were exactly that, his own lap times without any interuptions and they were very consistant.

To me, the timing race was won or lost on the first or second laps when overtaking slower cars was the largest factor for lap times.

And hense the more aggressive hot driver took chances to overtake, whereas the cold drivers would end up being boxed in behind.

So if your first lap is say a 1:02, then that will dictate your final total time.

Use a hot aggressive driver and drop that to 1:00, then your total time is ultimately 2 secs faster.

I ended up in the top 10 or 20 times, depending on the track, but obviously not quick enough.

So I was chasing 0.5 secs, or even less.

Sorry, but a 5 second difference will rank you way into the hundreds., so I'm not sure what point you are making there.

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 46 (250 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

After my code worked, I thought that I would give it a go, see how good my driver really is. In b-spec mode he wins with ease (granted the car is usually more powerful than the opposition, but I can pretty much leave him alone and come back when he's won).

But wow, what a contrast with the competition. The best I could get him home was a fluke 2nd place around Indy (0.028 of a second, why?). After that it was 5th's and 6th's all around. It wasn't down to his speed either, he would get to 7th or 6th in one lap and then once he got to the LFA or the R8 he would spend the remaining 7 or 8 laps neatly following it to the finish (even going on the dirt at the same time as the opponent cars).

Still I did enjoy the nice bulk of exp that the game gave for completing each challenge. I used it to get me to level 20 b-spec, so it served it's purpose :smileyhappy:

Being level 19 at the time was most likely the reason for coming in 5th though.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 46 (231 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

You will find your speed bar will fill up as your lvl increases, obviously.

So effectively your driver was to slow at that lvl.

Once your driver hits lvl 40 you will know what I mean.

As I was saying, your total race time is dependant on passing the slower cars.

My drivers used to be in the lead after 2 laps and ran the last 3 out in front.

So it was critical to pass everyone as quickly as possible to get a decent time.

Not being able to get past the Audi is indicitive of your drivers slower speed compared to higher lvl drivers.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 46 (212 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Tassie_tiger wrote:

You will find your speed bar will fill up as your lvl increases, obviously.

So effectively your driver was to slow at that lvl.

Once your driver hits lvl 40 you will know what I mean.

As I was saying, your total race time is dependant on passing the slower cars.

My drivers used to be in the lead after 2 laps and ran the last 3 out in front.

So it was critical to pass everyone as quickly as possible to get a decent time.

Not being able to get past the Audi is indicitive of your drivers slower speed compared to higher lvl drivers.

"...Passing slower cars..." At level 27, my driver must be homosexual, he didn't want to "pass" anyone, just wanted to ram them up the tail-pipe (I've watched Sex Drive alot recently), so I was never gonna stand a chance with a driver who couldn't see the cars in front! Off topic, on-line lobby races, 270mph+ karts? I was up for a fair race, and then saw that...!
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 46 (196 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Tassie_tiger wrote:

Capeview wrote:

Tassie_tiger wrote:

If I was to be totally blunt, I would suggest forgetting about the comp.

Sad but true.

I don't think it's much to do with the lvl you are at, but more how your driver skills look and how you use the commands that really matter.

The guy who is currently tops in most of the UK was at lvl 35 or 37 when he topped the charts and he's been there ever since. I even got a driver to 50 in one of the races and I was only lvl 33 or 34 at the time. And the driver I used wasn't even skilled.

After much deliveration though, and after I said to others that I thought it was a good idea having B-Spec, it's actually just one big slot machine with no real skill whatsoever involved, and more frustration, f-ings at the screen and stress than the competition is really worth.

The whole competition is one big farse as far as I'm concerned now.

Not from the point of not being able to get to the top, but for the fact there is no real frigging control over your AI drivers who just won't drive as they should for the skill lvl's they are at.

For Example, I let two drivers race the same race, both with the arrow at Horizontal Green just to see how fast they would run without any intervention on my part.

One was lvl 39 with very high, and I mean high skills that are nearly all red to the top more so than any other lvl 39 or lvl 40 driver I have, and I ran him against a lvl 23 driver with very poor skills.

Once they had run the race, there was only 5 seconds difference in the total time run.

Personally, I think that just proves how useless B-Spec and the AI on this game trully is if there is a severe lack of difference between skill lvl's. Makes the Skill lvl's completely pointless.

So if your first lap is say a 1:02, then that will dictate your final total time.

Use a hot aggressive driver and drop that to 1:00, then your total time is ultimately 2 secs faster.

I ended up in the top 10 or 20 times, depending on the track, but obviously not quick enough.

So I was chasing 0.5 secs, or even less.

Sorry, but a 5 second difference will rank you way into the hundreds., so I'm not sure what point you are making there.

The point I was making about the 5 second difference, was that a lvl 40 driver was only 5 seconds faster than a lvl 25 or whatever it was I said, but the lvl 40 skills were off the charts and he was a Hot Driver, and my lvl 25 was in the cool sector and skills on the high side for Cornering and Braking with good accuracy.

The point being, that when both drivers were on the level green arrow, they both drove rubbish and the lvl 40 driver wasn't showing the true skills that he had compared to my lvl 25 which were much lower.

The time difference should have been much larger, much like it was in the whole of the competition.

As for the Hot and Cold drivers, I get what you were saying there, but the AI just doesn't show it, and the Skill Lvl's definitely seem to be very iffy indeed.

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 46 (186 Views)
0 Kudos