04 Aug 2012
Playstation Staff

Tests Overall

13 Replies 208 Views Created 04-08-2012

Would someone be interested in some testing about Braking distances and some tire comparison ?

For example, driving 100 km/h at the Oval X track and when reaching certain point of the track, hit the brakes as much as possible to see how much difference there is between cars & OR ABS ON/Off

Also I would love to arrenge a proper Fuel test at the Oval X, like having 2 or more Alfa Romeo 156 where 1 would drive around 100 km/h and other 200 km/h and others at full speed to see how much does it affect how you drive the car etc.

I've done some of the tests, but results would be far more interesting if these could be done with others

As, I am curious about GT5 overall, how well is it made and how well it can be compared to real life by driving the cars like you would in real life.

Mostly because I believe that only proper way to test out the realism part is actually using the regular speedlimits and the Oval X is kinda like a part of the Autobahn with distance indicators

DS3 and Wheelset, doesnt matter here, I will use the DS3 or the G27

Any other idea that someone might have, is more than welcome and I will be glad to help out if there something that should be put onto a test.

Sam

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (208 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Tests Overall

It is important for us to experiment with different aspects of GT.

In my tests of turning ABS off, GT5 seems to do what I would expect it should. Braking distances decrease by a noticeable amount.

Mind you, you just can't use the default 5/5 setting or else even the Leaf will lock up the brakes. You have to find the point where each set of wheels lose control. However, once you get a car set up so that you are comfortable, you will have a new respect for GT. The only reason more drivers don't turn ABS off is we got lulled into complacency with ABS 1 since the Prologue days.

Without a proper braking test, I think it would be difficult to get actual emperical braking test numbers without fiddling.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (185 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

zeeri0us wrote:

Also I would love to arrenge a proper Fuel test at the Oval X, like having 2 or more Alfa Romeo 156 where 1 would drive around 100 km/h and other 200 km/h and others at full speed to see how much does it affect how you drive the car etc.

Sam

It's funny how the mind works isn't it, always checking to see if things are how they are meant to be in the real world within a game. I'm totally guilty of that too - LOL :smileyhappy:

Using the Gran Turismo Red Bull X2011 Prototype at the Indy 500 Endurance I found that, if I short shifted and kept the RPM at or below 12,000 RPM, I could do another 8 laps or so per stint which equated to +/- 30% fuel saving. This confirmed to me that fuel consumption is indeed relevant and factored into the game in some way. How well it is implemented is another matter and beggars the question "are all cars effected?" The reason I used the X11 was specifically because of it's high revs. The reason I conducted the test was to verify that by using a car with a lower power band I could get an edge in the Endurance Series - and I did. So it's not how fast you drive but how economically you drive that matters, which is pretty much true to real life in my book. +1 to PD yet again. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (178 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

MastrGT wrote:

..... You have to find the point where each set of wheels lose control.

Amazing Mastr, most everyone I know laughs at me for doing that because it then means I can't dive up the inside of someone in a squealing cloud of smoke and force them off the track overtake them. However, my tyres last a lot longer from having balanced and set the brakes this way. Yay - I'm suddenly not alone!  :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (175 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

You were never alone. It was just difficult finding enough drivers not using ABS to fill a room.

Put "No ABS" in a room title and see who shows up. :Peace:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Sounds interesting test.

I have switched ABS off from most of the pre-90's cars as most real cars didn't have them either back then. I've set the brake balance 70% front and 30% rear so the rear wheels wouldn't lock first.

Fuel consumption seems to be huge, after just few kilometers driving, when taking pitstop the game offers several litres of gasoline to fill the tank, that would make enormous fuel consumption per 100km :smileyvery-happy:

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (156 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Just because they offer the fuel to you doesn't mean that you have to take it (all).

If you want the fuel or need the extra weight, you can time it with 14 units to equal the time needed in the pits just to take tires.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (138 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I have driven with and without the ABS but I'm still a total rookie about fixing the setups, but I usually set front brakes abit stronger than back brakes, which is crucial for FF cars to be honest.

I will set a lobby open up for these tests at some point, and I'll be glad if someone will appear there.

Like MasterGT said, Gran Turismo is something that needs througful testing instead of reading everythin from made up diagrams etc.

Field testing is a lot more fun anyways.

Sadly we cant change the gas / air mixing for the cars, especially with the cars that has carburators instead of fuel injections.

Anyone has any clue does the temperatures affect into engines at all ? Or does the engine run the same way at the Alaska as in the Spain, for example ? shame this would be kinda hard to test out, but if someone knows a good method for testing this, I would be glad to hear it.

Meet you at the Online o/

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (124 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

zeeri0us wrote:

Anyone has any clue does the temperatures affect into engines at all ? Or does the engine run the same way at the Alaska as in the Spain, for example ? shame this would be kinda hard to test out, but if someone knows a good method for testing this, I would be glad to hear it.

Meet you at the Online o/

The only thing I can think of ,Sam, is to purchase a stock car and run it in a cold climate and note the performance details as shown in the Data Logger. Rinse and repeat in a hot climate and see if there is any noticeable differences in peak performance. Just an idea. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (119 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

And few drivers make the case for having more bias on the rears of some cars, but I haven't tested that and I find it difficult to bring myself to do it or even feel the need to play tricks in GT.

If you want to experiment with various settings in GT, go for it.

You should be able to find more who are willing to join you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (115 Views)
0 Kudos