02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

GTA 4+PS3 Slim = Glitchy and Help!

16 Replies 1,924 Views Created 25-10-2009

Hi there,

Let me explain my predicament to you. I own a PS3 Slim (120GB) and have done nothing whatsoever to it (i.e - Mod it or whatever) and for some reason Grand Theft Auto 4 doesn't seem to appreciate it. First off, I've been wanting GTA 4 for ages, and I managed to pick it up cheap. So I install it and all the like, and I realise its FULL of glitches. When I mean FULL I mean like you are walking down the street and suddenly a random walkthrough wall of a blurred texture appears out of the road and then a line 20 miles long of blurred texture erupts from your head. About 20 visual glitches can be seen at one time in one place and I've really just about had enough.

No one on the internet I can find has a PS3 Slim with the same problems. Everything is updated - Firmware is 3.01, GTA 4 is v1.04. Maybe that is the problem? PS3 Slim compatibility not in the v1.04 patch? Some people with the old 'fat' PS3 have had freezing issues but not me. Just *****loads of visual problems. My HDTV and HDMI cable are fine, I even tried running it on a Standard Definition TV with no luck. I've heard reinstalling MIGHT address some issues, but I'll probably lose my saved game. Not sure if you can back up saves though. A friend told me that maybe the v1.04 patch might be stuffing it up. If so, I don't think I can find the v1.04 patch file and then I wouldn't have any trophies available. Some people also recommend disabling internet connectivity but I don't see what that would do.

I'm about a quarter way through the game and decided I couldn't take it anymore so I had to ask - Is ANYONE having the same or similar problem? And for the love of God, does anyone know how to fix it?!

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

WhiteAlexander

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WhiteAlexander
Accepted Solution

There's no harm in trying a reinstall.

Make sure you delete GTA4 from Game Data Utility. So long as you leave the Saved Data Utility folder alone you won't lose your game save.

0 Kudos

Re: GTA 4+PS3 Slim = Glitchy and Help!

/16

pedrodj41

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pedrodj41
Accepted Solution
if you want to delete the data without losing your save make sure you only delete the gta game data, from the game data utility, and leave the saved data in the save data utility alone, then you can reinstall the game and keep your save
0 Kudos

/16

Tsjarlie

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tsjarlie
Accepted Solution
 I swapped from a 60gb to slim today. It's a bit late now but I'll install GTA4 tomorrow and let you know if I have any issues.
0 Kudos

/16

Braden_rules

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Braden_rules
Accepted Solution

Tsjarlie wrote:
 I swapped from a 60gb to slim today. It's a bit late now but I'll install GTA4 tomorrow and let you know if I have any issues.

Cool, thanks. You probably won't get any glitches, sounds like a freak one-off thing to me. I'll try reinstalling later today.

Message Edited by Braden_rules on 25-10-2009 11:07 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

BAZ1307

• Beta Tester
89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BAZ1307
Accepted Solution

Sounds like your Slim's GPU might have overheated. :(

Are there any graphical glitches in any other of your games?

Before you can be sure though, delete the Game Data Utility (not Save Data Utility) of Grand Theft Auto 4 and load up the game again. There could have been some corrupted data in the install of GTA4. :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

/16

Braden_rules

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Braden_rules
Accepted Solution

BAZ1307 wrote:

Before you can be sure though, delete the Game Data Utility (not Save Data Utility) of Grand Theft Auto 4 and load up the game again. There could have been some corrupted data in the install of GTA4. :Thumbs:

As for overheating, I don't think it is, it's in a pretty cold part of the house and has more than enough air. I've run inFamous and Resident Evil 5 a.k.a Chris Redfield is Racist with no problems, even when Chris Redfield was punching lots of black people.
Message Edited by Braden_rules on 25-10-2009 11:08 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

BAZ1307

• Beta Tester
89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BAZ1307
Accepted Solution

Braden_rules wrote:

BAZ1307 wrote:

As for overheating, I don't think it is, it's in a pretty cold part of the house and has more than enough air. I've run inFamous and Resident Evil 5 a.k.a Chris Redfield is Racist with no problems, even when Chris Redfield was punching lots of black people.

I didn't specifically mean overheating, more like a faulty GPU. I've heard of many problems before where there are strange poles or artifacts covering the whole screen, it's happened on my Wii too. Like I said, if you delete the install data then reinstall it and you're still having the same problem, you could then go on to say it's the GPU in your Slim.

0 Kudos

/16

Braden_rules

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Braden_rules
Accepted Solution

BAZ1307 wrote:

Braden_rules wrote:

BAZ1307 wrote:

I didn't specifically mean overheating, more like a faulty GPU. I've heard of many problems before where there are strange poles or artifacts covering the whole screen, it's happened on my Wii too. Like I said, if you delete the install data then reinstall it and you're still having the same problem, you could then go on to say it's the GPU in your Slim.

Yes, well you might be right because GTA 4 reinstalled still has the same problem of multiple glitches and it's ***** me off. I also found then when I press the PS button on the controller, it ususally freezes the entire thing.
0 Kudos

/16

mooogleboi

78%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mooogleboi
Accepted Solution

No problems with my slim (3.01) and GTA IV (1.04). Been playing GTA IV since the beginning of September on this and I haven't had anything bad like that.

I'd say you've got a faulty unit if it does anything weird on any other game...

0 Kudos

/16

Braden_rules

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Braden_rules
Accepted Solution

mooogleboi wrote:

No problems with my slim (3.01) and GTA IV (1.04). Been playing GTA IV since the beginning of September on this and I haven't had anything bad like that.

I'd say you've got a faulty unit if it does anything weird on any other game...

Yea well it's starting to ***** me off. I haven't seen any other issues in any of my other games, but then again, I haven't got that many games at the moment...If I do have a faulty unit I am going to rage so hard lol, maybe I could reinstall without the v1.04 patch? But then I won't be able to get trophies...Is there any way to patch to less than v1.04?

0 Kudos

/16

mooogleboi

78%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mooogleboi
Accepted Solution

Yeah, simply delete GTA IV through the gamedata facility and disconnect your PS3 from the internet. If I'm right, you'll be able to play it patchless.

There is the possibility that it could be a badly pressed copy... but I think anything like that would affect a whole batch of copies and soon be made known. But yeah, delete GTA IV's data from the hard drive (NOT your profile or save data) and launch the game again.

Keep us updated =]

Message Edited by mooogleboi on 26-10-2009 04:21 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Beta Tester
/16

planet_lee

• Beta Tester
98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
planet_lee
Accepted Solution
See if you can borrow a GTAIV game disc from someone you know.
Try that, to see if it's your disc that's faulty.
Message Edited by planet_lee on 26-10-2009 06:19 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Tsjarlie

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tsjarlie
Accepted Solution

I can report that GTA4 worked just fine today in my slim console.

I played for about 45 minutes to see if there would be any issues but everything was fine.

As someone has previously mentioned, it's most likely a fault with the console, overheating gpu perhaps.

As it's a slim you sould still be able to take it back to the shop for a replacement.

Make sure you backup all your saves first though.

Message Edited by Tsjarlie on 26-10-2009 07:01 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

planet_lee

• Beta Tester
98%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
planet_lee
Accepted Solution
I'm not so sure that it is his PS3.
He would have seen the same results on other games, GTAIV doesn't 'do' anything that other games don't (if you know what I mean).
If it's not a corrupted install, It's a corrupted game disc, has to be.

But I'm more than happy to be wrong.

The strange thing is, why doesn't the game crash before the graphics errors ?
It seems that the game (engine) can play along nicely, without crashing, but at the same time throw up graphical anomalies.
Very strange indeed.
0 Kudos

/16

Braden_rules

47%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Braden_rules
Accepted Solution

planet_lee wrote:
See if you can borrow a GTAIV game disc from someone you know.
Try that, to see if it's your disc that's faulty.
Message Edited by planet_lee on 26-10-2009 06:19 PM

My friend just got a PS3 Slim, so I might give the disc to him in the near future to see if he has any problems. If so, it may be a game disc problem. If it is, I'm gonna be pi$$ed because it'll mean I probably have to spend another double digit amount of money (I bought the game off a internet site - TradeMe) 
Message Edited by Braden_rules on 27-10-2009 03:49 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

NavNav22

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
NavNav22
Accepted Solution

hey, ive been javing the same issue.  the game installed just fine.  i started playing and them on a couple missions where you have to drive to another part of the city, the road in front of me would become invisible and then i would fall into the map and not be able to get out.  its the weirdest thing. 

so i uninstalled the game and no that im trying to re-install the game, it gets stuck at about 3/4 of the way and i wuld have to restart the ps3.

ive deleted all the info off my ps3 and reformatted the whole darn thing..   but ijust cant get gta3 to install.  and it does not have any scratches on the disc, it is brand new...

anyone know the fix?

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel