11 Mar 2011
By: Bilbo_bobbins Member 1,685 Posts
Level 5

Maps balance issues

9 Replies 494 Views Created 11-03-2011

PLayed a few games last night, and for the first time ended up on a team of killzone newbies I think. Most of them hadn't got a clue what was going on, I was doing everything. That wasn't the problem.

The problem was that on nearly every map we were getting spawn killed, we couldn't get out of our base, mainly because the players didn't know what to do to progress further, but I also think its because of unbalanced map design. The main ones that I noticed that were the worst ones are. Akmir Snowdrift ISA and Pyhrus Crater Helghast and Turbine Concourse ISA.

It really needs sorting out because in all of those you can pretty much see into all the bases and snipe from far away and they will never get out the base. Anyone else found this when playing with randoms?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (494 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Re: Maps balance issues

hi, i was getting spawn killed with you (i was on your team the other day) TBH i don't see it happening that much.

www.45caliber.guildlaunch.com

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (469 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Im with you on Akmir and Turbine, not sure about Pyhrus.  The problem with all these maps is that they are not very symmetrical.  For Akmir Snowdrift in particular if you are ship side youv'e won.   Turbine has a problem more with the spawn area's, they are far too open on ISA side I think it is.  Operations is fine not having symmetrical maps because its defend/attack but it can't be like that realistically on Warzone.   One of the fairest maps is probably the KZ2 map, I'm not sure of the name.  Its really a huge oversight of the makers, it really doesnt take much to gain an advantage if both sides of a map are not the same.

I'm really not the sort of player to shirk a challenge.  I like difficult maps like attacking MAWLR Graveyard on operations.  But some maps/start sides on Warzone are starting to get more than a tad anoying now that goes the same for others Iv'e spoke to !

Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day ...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (453 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

No I don't see it a lot. But if I do, I just change game mode.

You want to talk spawn killing, go play the beach map on Killzone 1...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (446 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

[ Edited ]

This is the one thing putting me off the multiplayer so far, there is nearly always one base that is alot easier to be camped. I've only ever played Bilgarsk Boulevard during Guerilla Warfare, as whenever I've joined a Warzone game on it, it is nearly impossible to move (Playing as ISA).

That one is the worst for me, but even one of the most balanced maps IMO - Corinth Highway - is susceptible because of silly things like their being alot of debris/pillars etc covering the Helghast base, yet the ISA one has virtually no cover should a Marksman or Exo decide to cause havoc. Not had any problems on Pyrrhus unless the teams have been lop-sided or something, so I actually enjoy that map.

By far the best map is Saluman Market! GG, please don't patch the rotation issues with it, I'm fine sticking to it even after two years of it on Killzone 2 :smileyvery-happy:

I can't see any maps being changed drastically, so map packs might bring some respite if whoever's in charge of map design is sober... but I don't think I'll be present by then :Scared:

Hopefully after a while it sorts itself out, which I thought Killzone 2 did after a few months, but only a few maps were as bad as these wins. Or maybe it's just worse to me as I'm used to only playing community games from yesteryear.

EDIT: Eek, walls o' text. Blame quick reply. Fixededed.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (433 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Yeah the maps have deffinitely been thrown out without much thought.

Akmir Snowdrift deserves a medal for how bad it is, whoever designed that death trap needs to be sacked. Almost everytime I play that map the ISA are stuck on that hill or if they're lucky can get as far as the three choke points of slaughter.

Sadly though I don't see anything being done about any maps. You'd have to completely redesign them and that's something you can't fix in a patch without a massive overhaul and GG are more concnerned about churning out new maps for a fiver now.

I'm about giving up, this game is just *****ting all over itself.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (400 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I agree with kopite33, Salamun Market is the best map if I didn't have the retro DLC i'd be bored silly of this game. SM is well balanced as its a mirror image down the middle, everyone gets a fair chance. Trouble is in the heat of battle I often can't remember which is my base side because it all looks the same, I have to go and look what colour the base bots are to be certain lol.

My favourite map will always be Pyrrhus Rise from killzone 2, it's just like the wild west, if you ignore the crashed space ship in the background it could be an american frontier town in the 19th century. I'd love to see PR get a KZ3 facelift because there is plenty of space for Exo's and jetpacks to make it more interesting.

If we got Pyrrhus Rise, i'd probably never play KZ2 ever again, 3 would have everything I wanted.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (392 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Its a shame, Salamun Market probably is the best map designed for KZ3 actually. It's great to play, but really they should of designed the maps alot more like this, symetrical, or at least one advantage on each side of the map for each team. Most maps in KZ3 don't have it and it's frustrating. Oh well, have to put up with it till Brink hits the shops.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (355 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Dont think its a map issue myself I think its an idiot issue of most of the folk playing the game not knowing or caring to do anything other than camp

When easily winning every objective mode on warzone apart from bodycount you know the other team are just campers with no clue.Problems start when you dont have anyone to play with and get stuck with these numbskulls

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (350 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I think the issue is that there aren't spawn grenades.  If you get pinned into your base it's a long way to go to get to a spawn capture point.  With spawn grenades you could get out bit by bit.

It's early days but I think none of the maps are as good as most KZ2 maps, yet I couldn't tell you why.

I like Akmir Snowdrift, Pyrhuss Crater, Frozen Dam and the jetpack one.

But Bilgarsk Boulevard and the new Salamun Market seem to always be about fighting for spawn points.  The battle is to spawn and not get killed by the spawn killers rather than fighting at the points where objectives are.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (301 Views)
0 Kudos