By mufan4manutd

mufan4manutd

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Your view on the state of the music industry today?

42 Replies 525 Views Created 15-06-2009

Ok, so this is me ranting about how much i hate the music industry right now. Im 19 and think the music today is terrible Lady Gaga and Flo Rida, lil wayne. Its all c**p in my opinion. I admit that im mostly into to rock and metal. What happened to the good 'pop' music where the groups actually played instruments not like today where its just all jumping around on stage to some wierd sound that happens when u push a button on a machine.

Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me bein an old grumpy guy before my time lol.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Briatore

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Briatore
Accepted Solution
I'm not too sure, I like new music and older music so it's hard to say for me, but I definitely think it's got worse.
0 Kudos

Re: Your view on the state of the music industry today?

Beta Tester
/16

L337LUKE

• Beta Tester
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
L337LUKE
Accepted Solution

I completely agree, in this day and age, any drunkard can get on stage, sing a song, and become an instant number one, i mean look at the ting tings, i can't stand the accent for that kind of music.

i think the 90's was a good era for pop music, and i also think that alot of punk and rock bands don't get the recognition they deserve there are so many great bands out there that people haven't heard of that are just pure awesome here are a few for example

The Mad caddies

Blackstone cherry 

No use for a name

Pennywise

Alkaline trio

I think the simple fact though with rock music and alike, if your not prepared to sell out like "The lost prophets" then your not going to get any mainstream success, which is a shame, and plus now pop is just fueling the chav nation that is britain.

0 Kudos

/16

Irnbruguy

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Irnbruguy
Accepted Solution

L337LUKE wrote:

I completely agree, in this day and age, any drunkard can get on stage, sing a song, and become an instant number one, i mean look at the ting tings, i can't stand the accent for that kind of music.

i think the 90's was a good era for pop music, and i also think that alot of punk and rock bands don't get the recognition they deserve there are so many great bands out there that people haven't heard of that are just pure awesome here are a few for example

The Mad caddies

Blackstone cherry 

No use for a name

Pennywise

Alkaline trio

I think the simple fact though with rock music and alike, if your not prepared to sell out like "The lost prophets" then your not going to get any mainstream success, which is a shame, and plus now pop is just fueling the chav nation that is britain.

What i hate is Lip-Syncing People like Britney Spears do a tour and Lip Sync the whole show...

Anyway I've heard of Mad Caddies,Blackstone Cherry,Pennywise and Alakline Trio.
 Who cares if a band sells out or not?
If they  get a bigger fan base, whats the problem?
If their in it for the money they are selling out indeed.. But if your putting out new material to a different tune 
 Also when did lostprophets sell out?
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Rayhaan1

• Beta Tester
91%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rayhaan1
Accepted Solution

I don't think you can generalise everyone that listens to RnB as mindless drones as the same could be said about people who listen to rock by people who listen to RnB.

Pop music and similar genres may sound the same to people who like rock music but again, the same goes the other way round, rock music sounds the same to people who like pop.

0 Kudos

/16

Ezy-Ryder86

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ezy-Ryder86
Accepted Solution

Ohmygod, perfect topic, RANT TIME!

Imagine your a hard working musician, not internationally known, but a small local fanbase, you try everything to 'make it'  as the cliche goes, your playin the clubs, walking the streets putting the work in, and when you get home after a dodgy gig where a promoter tries to stiff you for your fee, you see on the TV that someone who we'll probably NEVER hear of again, has just won a £1 million recording contract, simply for turning up 12 weeks in a row.

Imagine how soul destroying that is. How would you feel in that situation?

Thats how bad the music industry is.

I was in the music industry for a while. I knew plenty producers, musicians, promoters, all them trying to offer support to a dying scene. To quote a friend of mine "Kids these days dont think about the work it requires, they think you just turn up to record a demo and voila, a recording contract." Im only 22, but I really hope the industry goes backwards, to a time where it required hard work, dedication, and discipline to make it onto the major labels. The experience of clawing your way up is what makes or breaks you in the music business. You dont get that experience when your suddenly at the top, and have people doing things for you. It makes me laugh when you see all these little divas and pop groups in front of a mixing desk, because I bet ya my right arm they only know the "little slidey things" make the volume go up or down. The entire industry has become a revolving door. for example: Wheres the last winner of X-Factor now? Has anyone heard anything of her since?

Message Edited by Ezy-Ryder86 on 23-06-2009 02:43 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Hyperguy20

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Hyperguy20
Accepted Solution

Ezy-Ryder86 wrote:

Ohmygod, perfect topic, RANT TIME!

Imagine your a hard working musician, not internationally known, but a small local fanbase, you try everything to 'make it'  as the cliche goes, your playin the clubs, walking the streets putting the work in, and when you get home after a dodgy gig where a promoter tries to stiff you for your fee, you see on the TV that someone who we'll probably NEVER hear of again, has just won a £1 million recording contract, simply for turning up 12 weeks in a row.

Imagine how soul destroying that is. How would you feel in that situation?

Thats how bad the music industry is.

I was in the music industry for a while. I knew plenty producers, musicians, promoters, all them trying to offer support to a dying scene. To quote a friend of mine "Kids these days dont think about the work it requires, they think you just turn up to record a demo and voila, a recording contract." Im only 22, but I really hope the industry goes backwards, to a time where it required hard work, dedication, and discipline to make it onto the major labels. The experience of clawing your way up is what makes or breaks you in the music business. You dont get that experience when your suddenly at the top, and have people doing things for you. It makes me laugh when you see all these little divas and pop groups in front of a mixing desk, because I bet ya my right arm they only know the "little slidey things" make the volume go up or down. The entire industry has become a revolving door. for example: Wheres the last winner of X-Factor now? Has anyone heard anything of her since?

Message Edited by Ezy-Ryder86 on 23-06-2009 02:43 PM

I acctually totally agree. Real musicans and talent work there way up and earn their way to success. While these people on the X factor get it easily. 

This is what i generally have against pop and RnB. It's too artifical. The musicans behind it are just free loaders using other peoples songs. And tbh they arent really putting much effort into perfroming either.
Musicians who have to work hard to work there way up, like alot of rock bands etc have really earned it and make real music! They tend to have alot more character and they all have their own unique sound and you can tell when some effort has been put into writing a song. 
 Thats why i think Rock > Pop + RnB
 (I do realise there are some hard working pop and RnB artists out there, but im just speaking generaly) 

0 Kudos

/16

Ezy-Ryder86

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ezy-Ryder86
Accepted Solution
Well thing is Hyper, even the rock scene is becoming saturated between bands that sound the same. To my hears, the likes of Nickelback sound exactly the same as Theory of a Dead Man, Fall Out Boy sound exactly the same as Panic at The Disco etc. There was a niche there that the record labels saw was selling huge, now they exploit it. Youll find that with the likes of Roadrunner records, the fans of the bands on that label fit a particular profile. Nuclear Blast on the other hand, are the ultimate metal label. Thank god theres some originality still out there!
0 Kudos

/16

Hyperguy20

97%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Hyperguy20
Accepted Solution

Ezy-Ryder86 wrote:
Well thing is Hyper, even the rock scene is becoming saturated between bands that sound the same. To my hears, the likes of Nickelback sound exactly the same as Theory of a Dead Man, Fall Out Boy sound exactly the same as Panic at The Disco etc. There was a niche there that the record labels saw was selling huge, now they exploit it. Youll find that with the likes of Roadrunner records, the fans of the bands on that label fit a particular profile. Nuclear Blast on the other hand, are the ultimate metal label. Thank god theres some originality still out there!
I suppose you cant really escape from that sort of thing in any genre.
 Its just more prominent in pop and Rnb music. 

0 Kudos

/16

JaKeUtd

78%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JaKeUtd
Accepted Solution

I don't see how you can say that the whole music industry is really bad at this moment in time, because really it depends on what music you listen to... I really hate 50Cent but I like artists such as Nas, Jay Z and old school like Rakim. When you stereotype what lyrics for Rap/Hip-Hop/RnB are then you need to listen to a number of different artists.

It is like a lot of people say, they don't listen to chart music but a lot of really good ra music doesn't make it onto the charts.

This doesn't mean I only listen to Urban genre, it really depends on what mood I am in. Sometimes I feel like I need a 'lift' so stuff like the Fray and Script really make me appreciate things. I work well in college when I listen to American Rock like Creed, Shinedown and Killswitch Engaged.

At the moment I listen to a lot of Akon, at times you do think to yourself "wow most music sounds like this" but it is an addictive beat and some lyrics really do get to me like his song "Against The Grain".

X-Factor really has destroyed what people think of the music business for me, it has given Simon Cowell a much worse reputation tbh but he doesn't care really lol.

I watched a thing on Boy Bands on ITV the other day, and as much as you think back at how much you miss the 90's. I also think we are much more dynamic nowadays and some bands wouldn't be able to thrive back then.

As much as you hate Lady Gaga, she does have quite clever lyrics (I'm not that much of a fan of her's however). 

0 Kudos

/16

Ezy-Ryder86

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ezy-Ryder86
Accepted Solution

JaKeUtd wrote:

I don't see how you can say that the whole music industry is really bad at this moment in time.

Simple, I worked in it, a lot of different genres, a lot of different people, all say the same thing. Theres just too much of the same thing nowadays.  I mean if I go by the 80s when I was pretty much a toddler and for example ill take rap, you had Grandmaster flash, a pioneer,who led to Run DMC, also pioneers, who lead to NWA, who are basically the key artists in west coast rap, in which Dr Dre found the perfect sound which became G-Funk, which went on to spawn Tupac in the 90s, After he died, again, much like rock, there was a gap in the market that was exploited. Suddenly there were A&R guys hanging out on the corners of South Central trying to find the next best thing. And they found it. But there became too much of it, people got tired of it, then came crunk, same thing goes, this time the A&R guys were based in the Bay area, and this went on an on until we get to where we are now. Over-saturated, over-produced, EVERYWHERE. Theres only really one name of this era of rap that I would name as a pionee, Timbaland. He's the best producer out there at the moment because his sound is so unique, until everyone wanted it. I can honestly say that from a production standpoint I rather enjoyed Justin Timberlakes last effort because Timbaland produced it. Further than that, someone really has to impress the musician as well as the producer in me before ill pay attention to them. No ones managed it yet.

0 Kudos

/16

JaKeUtd

78%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JaKeUtd
Accepted Solution

Ezy-Ryder86 wrote:

JaKeUtd wrote:

I don't see how you can say that the whole music industry is really bad at this moment in time.

Simple, I worked in it, a lot of different genres, a lot of different people, all say the same thing. Theres just too much of the same thing nowadays.  I mean if I go by the 80s when I was pretty much a toddler and for example ill take rap, you had Grandmaster flash, a pioneer,who led to Run DMC, also pioneers, who lead to NWA, who are basically the key artists in west coast rap, in which Dr Dre found the perfect sound which became G-Funk, which went on to spawn Tupac in the 90s, After he died, again, much like rock, there was a gap in the market that was exploited. Suddenly there were A&R guys hanging out on the corners of South Central trying to find the next best thing. And they found it. But there became too much of it, people got tired of it, then came crunk, same thing goes, this time the A&R guys were based in the Bay area, and this went on an on until we get to where we are now. Over-saturated, over-produced, EVERYWHERE. Theres only really one name of this era of rap that I would name as a pionee, Timbaland. He's the best producer out there at the moment because his sound is so unique, until everyone wanted it. I can honestly say that from a production standpoint I rather enjoyed Justin Timberlakes last effort because Timbaland produced it. Further than that, someone really has to impress the musician as well as the producer in me before ill pay attention to them. No ones managed it yet.

Fair enough, nice post really.

I do understand what you mean because I used to be very much into West Coast rap but I have to say I have become dissilusioned with it over the last few years. I have stretched more towards the likes of Kanye and T.I.

Definitely agree about Timbaland, he has given JT a lease of life and has basically given him a lot of work...

I feel that the same will happen to Indie music in the next few years, a lot of bands are coming out that are trying to be like so many others.

Also, what music do you currently listen to Ezy? Like artists etc... 

0 Kudos

/16

Ezy-Ryder86

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ezy-Ryder86
Accepted Solution

I'll listen to anything really.  I have a lot of different artists across many different genres in my collection. A typical "listening day" for me can start with Aretha Franklin or Otis Redding, and end with Guttermouth or Killswitch Engage. Call it a maturing of my musical palette if you will, but in my opinion, if you want a decent grasp of the music industry today, you have to give it up to the classics.

One of my favourite stories was from Ray Charles, who when he was regnegotiating his contract in the 60s, flat out TOLD the publishers that they could have the rights to material he made, only IF those rights reverted back to him after 10 years. A black musician having that kind of pull in those days was unheard of, and it changed the landscape of the recording industry right up until now. If it wasnt for him, the fat cats would be a LOT fatter, while the artists would really suffer. Its just unfortunate they decided to over-populate the industry with bubblegum acts and exploit the fans to compensate.

0 Kudos

/16

taurus82

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
taurus82
Accepted Solution
When you say "Dance music for example is complete garbage" I hope you are referring to the likes of Cascada/Basshunter and not Ferry Corsten or Armin Van Buuren.
0 Kudos

/16

koolkid201

96%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
koolkid201
Accepted Solution
I think the popel who are generally unhappy about music today, are those who follow the charts, the mainstream.
0 Kudos

Photobucket
PS3 #1 06/07/07-22/12/08 PS3 #2 02/01/09-19/09/09 PS3 #3 27/10/09 - 22/11/09 PS3#4 14/12/09-11/10/13 (Revived 01/11/13)

/16

The_Yeti_

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
The_Yeti_
Accepted Solution

taurus82 wrote:
When you say "Dance music for example is complete garbage" I hope you are referring to the likes of Cascada/Basshunter and not Ferry Corsten or Armin Van Buuren.

This is something that i actually detest! When you say dance music people immediatley think of Basshunter and all that other commercial crap you here in the charts!

People never really hear about the likes of Ferry Corsten, Armin Van Buuren, Markus Schulz, Kyau & Albert, John O' Callaghan, Richard Durand and Above & Beyond (love their Oceanlab stuff)

This is because their music is rarely played on the radio, unless you listen to Di.fm or AH.fm.

0 Kudos

/16

RJonesDJ

78%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RJonesDJ
Accepted Solution
doesnt even have to be trance.... thats a bit narrow-minded too..
there are so many sub levels and sub genres of of house, electro, garage, trance, techno, etc that all get put into that one 'dance' genre. Its just people dont have the interest, time or knowledge on how to discover this music and get into it.. Pop music is and always will be highly accessible, and the majority of people will like it (why its called pop!), but then people who are interested and do make efforts to discover new music will always be dissapointed with what garbage is doing well in the charts... its always been the same.
0 Kudos

/16

The_Yeti_

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
The_Yeti_
Accepted Solution

RJonesDJ wrote:
doesnt even have to be trance.... thats a bit narrow-minded too..
there are so many sub levels and sub genres of of house, electro, garage, trance, techno, etc that all get put into that one 'dance' genre. Its just people dont have the interest, time or knowledge on how to discover this music and get into it.. Pop music is and always will be highly accessible, and the majority of people will like it (why its called pop!), but then people who are interested and do make efforts to discover new music will always be dissapointed with what garbage is doing well in the charts... its always been the same.

I only mentioned those artists because i am highly familiar with them, i didnt necessarily pick them all because they generally specialise in trance! I dont know enough about the other sub genres with the possible exception of house to start listing artists  
0 Kudos

/16

RJonesDJ

78%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RJonesDJ
Accepted Solution
dont get me wrong, wasnt having a go or anything mate.. everyone has their favourites :)

just stressing the point of how music cant completely be classed as good/bad its all down to opinions really.
0 Kudos

/16

maidendude

88%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
maidendude
Accepted Solution

taurus82 wrote:

Ye I suppose I am refering to the likes of Cascada/Basshunter. I should have made it more clear in my post that I mean't that kind of dance. I can appreciate the old stuff but all the modern crap....................is crap

0 Kudos

/16

Mattiebo123

97%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mattiebo123
Accepted Solution
Rock > 70's to 80's Rock > Anything Else > Dignified Death > Undignified Death > >R'n'B > Rap > Lil' Wayne
0 Kudos

/16

taurus82

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
taurus82
Accepted Solution
What the h*ll has happened to the Top 20?! I can actually listen to half of it without wanting to stab my ears with a screwdriver. Almost every track now has an electro/electronica sound and a steady beat (of which I'm very fond of, as you can tell from my sig), even Beyonce and Shakira are at it now.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel