94%
03 Rank
Progress

Basic Menu/Sub-Menu Tutorial

[ Edited ]
14 Replies 1,979 Views edited 02-02-2011
02 Feb 2011
By SuperBoof

This tutorial will cover the logic required to make a working menu with sub-menus. I will be using a 4 tier menu for this tutorial,  1 main menu and 3 sub-menus. I will also go into some detail how each part of the logic plays its part and what its main role in the logic is.

The codes above the switches in the pictures are for easier reference throughout the tutorial. So if I mention for example, 1T, I am refering to the switch in the pictures labeled '1T'.

There are 3 things you should be aware of before following this tutorial;

• This tutorial does not cover toggle options, i.e - on/off options
  • This tutorial does not cover how to design a menu
  • This tutorial will cover how to create logic for a menu where the end result is the activation of a Level Linker and does not explain how to create an in-level menu. (I would be willing to make a tutorial that covers in-level menus if enough people wanted one)

Ok, let's begin.

1. The first thing to do is to place a Controlinator close to the Entrance Checkpoint. I do this by placing the Checkpoint and Controlinator on a thin sheet of material. Picture

Controlinator Settings;

Remote Control: No

Disable Popit Controls: Yes

Trigger Radius: Make sure it covers the whole of the Entrance Checkpoint

Automatically Enter: Yes

2. If you have already designed a menu, line them up in a way that makes working with them easy and convenient. Picture

3.jpg

3. Open the Controlinator's circuit board and place on it a Microchip, 2 OR switches and a Toggle switch. (1O, 2O,  1T & 1M)

NOTE: To work out how many input ports you require on '2O', simply take the number of sub-menus you have (in this case 3) and add 1 to it (3+1=4, I need 4 ports).

NOTE: The number of input ports required on '1O' should be equal to the number of options on your main menu, or 1 less than '2O'

1O - This OR switch is the first step in disabling/enabling the main menu. It basically tells the logic that if any of its 2 inputs happen, disable the main menu

2O - This OR switch will handle the input that will allow players to go back to the main menu whilst on a sub-menu and does the same job as '1O'

1T - This switch is the final step in disabling/enabling the main menu, and is ultimately the switch that will disable/enable accordingly depending on its current state and the input from '1O' and '2O'

1M - This Microchip will hold all logic for the main menu

4. Connect the output from '1O' to an input on '2O'. Connect the ouput from '2O' into the input of '1T', and plug the output from '1T' into the 'Activate' input on '1M'.

4.jpg

5. Open the circuit board for '1M' and place on it 3 'AND' switches, 1 Selector and 1 'OR' switch. (3O, 1S, 1A, 2A & 3A)

NOTE: The number of ports and number of 'AND' switches required both need to be equal to the number of options on your main menu (in this case 3. So 3 ports on the Selector, and 3 'AND' switches).

3O - This will allow the player to use either the D-Pad or the analog to scroll through the menu

1S - This will cycle through the options on the main menu

1,2,3A - These switches, when activated through certain inputs, will take the player to the sub-menu they have slected

5.jpg

6. Connect the Up/Down output from the D-Pad and plug it into 1 of the inputs on '3O'. Now take the Up/Down output from the left Left Stick and plug it into the other input on '3O'.

7. Connect the output from '3O' to the Cycle input on '1S'.

8. Connect Output: #1 on '1S' to an input on '1A

Connect Output: #2 on '1S' to an input on '3A'

Connect Output: #3 on '1S' to an input on '2A'

NOTE: Output: #2 connects to '3A', and Output: #3 connects to '2A' because Output: #1 and Output: #3 are the wrong way round on the Slector. Must be a bug.

9. Connect Output: #1 on '1S' to whatever you are using to highlight the options on the main menu. (I'm using Neon letters, so I connect Output: #1 to every letter in option 1 on my main menu)

Connect Output: #2 on '1S' to your highlighter for option 3 on the main menu.

Connect Output: #3 on '1S' to your highlighter for option 2 on the main menu.

10. Connect the the output from the 'X' button to each of the remaining inputs on '1A', '2A' and '3A'.

That's the main menu pretty muched wrapped up.

This took longer than I thought, so I will have to do the rest tomorrow. If you spot any mistakes that I've made in the meantime, let me know with either a PM or a post on here.

Good luck. :)

EDIT: Meh! It's crumpled some of the text together for some reason. Ah well, should still be easy enough to decipher. :P

LABELS:
Check out my Menu tutorial

I'm creating Portals!
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Seveni_7

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Seveni_7
Accepted Solution

Why dont you just use a selector??

Whts the different between all that logic you have used and a selectror with 3 outputs to the text?

0 Kudos

Re: Basic Menu/Sub-Menu Tutorial

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SuperBoof

94%
03 Rank
Progress
SuperBoof
Accepted Solution

Seveni_7 wrote:

Whts the different between all that logic you have used and a selectror with 3 outputs to the text?

A Selector on its own wouldn't enable/disable the menus, which is something that MUST be done when using multiple menus, which is where the OR switches come into it.

Also, a Selector on its own wouldn't be enough to allow the player to make a decision, which is where the AND switches come into play.

Starting tutorial for sub menu now.

0 Kudos

I'm creating Portals!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Polo-i-3

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Polo-i-3
Accepted Solution
nice tutorial really helped me out alot
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

martyn_gibbs

97%
04 Rank
Progress
martyn_gibbs
Accepted Solution

I've just given this a go and all seems well so far. I tried to select the options on the menu but none were highlighted but I'm guessing that's right at this stage?

Top stuff. :Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SuperBoof

94%
03 Rank
Progress
SuperBoof
Accepted Solution

martyn_gibbs wrote:

I've just given this a go and all seems well so far. I tried to select the options on the menu but none were highlighted but I'm guessing that's right at this stage?

Top stuff. :Thumbs:

The options should highlight on the main menu. Got your highlighter settings set correctly? I'm guessing you're using Neon? If so, do you have Off brightness to 0%, and On brightness to however bright you want it when the option is highlighted?

Have a quick look through make sure everything is where it should be and if it still doesn't highlight, I'll go through and make sure I haven't made a mistake somewhere.

Oh and if the very first shot of the level doesn't show the player, read the very bottom of the sub-menu tutorial. That will explain either a bug, or a shoddy feature with the Movie Camera.

Also, do you have the first Toggle switch (1T) set to On?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm creating Portals!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TGG-007

94%
03 Rank
Progress
TGG-007
Accepted Solution

SuperBoof wrote:

Seveni_7 wrote:

A Selector on its own wouldn't enable/disable the menus, which is something that MUST be done when using multiple menus, which is where the OR switches come into it.

Also, a Selector on its own wouldn't be enough to allow the player to make a decision, which is where the AND switches come into play.

Nice tutorial, im currently working on a tuturial level. The menus are going to be a little more complex and ill be showing how to make a row/column menu. That lets you move up, down, left and right. Instead of just 2 of the above like yours. However your logic requires a lot less repeation then mine (or rather my row/column menu) but yours can only work with hologram unlike mine where a pointer is used (or hologram can be like your) for displaying the option.

Im not giving too much away until i have finished the level but I am using the LBP2 tuturial background.

0 Kudos

"My PS3 got YLOD so I need to either recover the data or replay lbp1 and 2 for 100%"

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SuperBoof

94%
03 Rank
Progress
SuperBoof
Accepted Solution

TGG-007 wrote:

SuperBoof wrote:

Seveni_7 wrote:

Nice tutorial, im currently working on a tuturial level. The menus are going to be a little more complex and ill be showing how to make a row/column menu. That lets you move up, down, left and right. Instead of just 2 of the above like yours. However your logic requires a lot less repeation then mine (or rather my row/column menu) but yours can only work with hologram unlike mine where a pointer is used (or hologram can be like your) for displaying the option.

Im not giving too much away until i have finished the level but I am using the LBP2 tuturial background.

Nice, look forward to seeing it. :)

Yeah, the main reason for this type of menu for this tutorial was basically because of its simplicity and its ability to just copy a Microchip from 1 sub-menu for use for another sub-menu.

Just basically a tutorial showing the basics so people have some sort of idea how the menu works so then they can go on to create more complex menus with less hassle.

Don't forget to link me, or post your tutorial when it's done. :D

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm creating Portals!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TGG-007

94%
03 Rank
Progress
TGG-007
Accepted Solution

SuperBoof wrote:

TGG-007 wrote:

SuperBoof wrote:

Seveni_7 wrote:

Nice, look forward to seeing it. :)

Yeah, the main reason for this type of menu for this tutorial was basically because of its simplicity and its ability to just copy a Microchip from 1 sub-menu for use for another sub-menu.

Just basically a tutorial showing the basics so people have some sort of idea how the menu works so then they can go on to create more complex menus with less hassle.

Don't forget to link me, or post your tutorial when it's done. :D

Mine involes followers to try and keep the logic simple but it gets (annoying) repeative. In the beta i made a menu with (about) 9 columns and 5 rows. I had to redo the logic 45 times. It would have been quick but the microchips got in eachothers road so it became difficult to keep the wires to the right place.

Again nice tuturial, great to hears it only base logic. I'll post the tuturial link on my website, my thread "Request a tuturial" and ill try to remember to post it here too.

0 Kudos

"My PS3 got YLOD so I need to either recover the data or replay lbp1 and 2 for 100%"

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SuperBoof

94%
03 Rank
Progress
SuperBoof
Accepted Solution

Sub-Menu 1

6.jpg

11. Add to the Controlinator's circuit board a Microchip, a Toggle switch and an 'OR' wsitch. (4O, 2T, 2M) - (Make sure the 'Current State' of '2T' is set to 'No')

12. Connect the output from '4O' to the input of '2T'.

Connect the output of '2T' to the 'Activateinput on '2M'

13. Open the circuit board for '1M' and connect an output from '1A' to an input on '4O' (This tells the logic that when option 1 on the main menu is highlighted and the 'X' button is pressed, enable the sub-menu)

7.jpg

14. Now open the circuit board of '2M' and on it place 2 'OR' switches, a Selector and 3 'AND' switches. (5O, 6O, 2S, 4A, 5A, 6A) - (These all serve the same purpose as the logic in '1M' except '60' which will be used to allow the player to use the 'Circle' button to revert back to the main menu)

NOTE: Again, the number of ports required on '2S' and the number of 'AND' switches required should be equal to the number of options on the sub-menu that is linked to option 1 on the main menu

15. Connect the Up/Down output from the D-Pad to an input on '5O', and connect the Up/Down output from the left Analog Stick to remaining input on '5O'.

Connect the output from '5O' to the 'Cycle' input on '2S'

Connect Output: #1 from '2S' to an input on '4A'

Connect Output: #2 from '2S' to an input on '6A'

Connect Output: #3 from '2S' to an input on '5A'

16. Connect the output from the 'X' button and connect it to the remaining inputs on '4A', '5A' and '6A'

Connect the output from the 'Circle' button to any of the 2 inputs on '6O'

Connect the output from '6O' to an input on '2O'

Connect the output from '6O' to the remaining input on '4O'

17. Connect Output: #1 on '2S' to the highlighter you are using for option 1 on the sub-menu

Connect Output: #2 on '2S' to the highlighter for option 3 on the sub-menu

Connect Output: #3 on '2S' to the highlighter for option 2 on the sub-menu

18. Connect the output from '4A' to the Level Linker for option 1 on the first sub-menu

Connect the output from '5A' to the Level Linker for option 2

Connect the output from '6A' to the Level Linker for option 3

8.jpg

Sub-menu 2 & 3

Follow steps 11 - 18 changing the outputs accordingly.

I will write up a detailed tutorial for sub-menus 2 & 3 if people need it, but reading through the main menu and sub-menu tutorials carefully should give you an idea of how to connect up sub-menus 2 & 3 on your own.

Setting up Movie Cameras

The problem I find with the Movie Camera is that if the player is not in the very first shot, Sackboy will refuse to enter the Controlinator and therefore the player cannot use the menu.

I rectify this problem by placing the thin material that holds the Entrance Checkpoint and Controlinator BEHIND the main menu. That way, the player is in the shot but isn't visible as they're behind the menu.

1. Place a Movie Camera on the circuit board of '1M'. Focus the shot on the main menu and use the following settings; (This camera doesn't need anything connecting to it, and it doesn't need to connect to anything)

NOTE: It's best to decide on a final, permanent position for you Entrance Checkpoint and Controlinator before setting up cameras. Moving the Controlinator after setting up the cameras will move the shot of the cameras and will need to be re-set.

Transition Type: Cut

Track Player: No

Hold Time: Infinite

Disable Controllers: No

Skippable: No

Require All Players: No

2. Place a Movie Camera on all other Microchips using the same settings as the camera on '1M', changing the shot accordingly.

If you require any help in setting up the menu, do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm creating Portals!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SuperBoof

94%
03 Rank
Progress
SuperBoof
Accepted Solution

Sorry. Just noticed in the main menu tutorial I said;

"NOTE: Output: #2 connects to '3A', and Output: #3 connects to '2A' because Output: #1 and Output: #3 are the wrong way round on the Slector. Must be a bug."

What it should've said was;

"NOTE: Output: #2 connects to '3A', and Output: #3 connects to '2A' because Output: #2 and Output: #3 are the wrong way round on the Slector. Must be a bug."

EDIT: For some reason this forum doesn't like to space out certain blocks of text without putting up a fuss! >.<

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm creating Portals!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SuperBoof

94%
03 Rank
Progress
SuperBoof
Accepted Solution

I've published a demonstration of the menu so you can get a brief idea of what it's meant to do.

LBP.me link

It is the same menu I used in this tutorial, so you will see that it works.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm creating Portals!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

papidj1

60%
02 Rank
Progress
papidj1
Accepted Solution

Thank you, i've used your tutorial to build my menu, but you should add the information about the inputs of "10", i was hard time figuring out, but finally got it!

Check my level whera i use it!

http://lbp.me/v/xy0cbs

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SuperBoof

94%
03 Rank
Progress
SuperBoof
Accepted Solution

papidj1 wrote:

Thank you, i've used your tutorial to build my menu, but you should add the information about the inputs of "10", i was hard time figuring out, but finally got it!

Check my level whera i use it!

http://lbp.me/v/xy0cbs

Ah right sorry, thought I explained it. Guess not.

It's been a while since I made that menu, but I believe '1O' is where the AND gates inside '1M' connect to to disable the first piece of logic when an option on the main page is selected so that it doesn't conflict with other pieces of logic whilst on a different menu page.

It's no different from '2O', but seperating them makes that bit tidier and easier to find the wire you're looking for should something go wrong or you want to add extra options.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm creating Portals!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SuperBoof

94%
03 Rank
Progress
SuperBoof
Accepted Solution

Cool, really nicely designed level, although I didn't have a clue what I was doing and got killed by the first zombie in wave 1 lol. Never played the actual 'Plants Vs Zombies' game so have no idea what to do.

Other than that though, awesome! And the menu was cool. :D!

0 Kudos

I'm creating Portals!
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel