• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress

Contraption Challenge 17: Triathlete

212 Replies 3,209 Views Created 28-07-2012
27 Jul 2012
By Nuclearfish

In case you somehow failed to notice, there’s a rather major sporting event starting today. So, naturally, we have an appropriately themed challenge for you!

We want you to make a contraption that completes not one, not two, but three Olympic events in quick succession:

1. Running – Travel across the ground. It doesn’t have to actually run with legs; wheels are fine.
  2. Swimming – Enter a body of water, travel through it (on the surface or underwater, either is fine), then exit back onto land.
  3. Hurdle Jumping – Jump over at least 3 hurdles, one by one, without hitting them. You can make these yourself, and they can be any object as long as they are about half the height of your contraption.

• The contraption must complete the events in the order specified.
  • You must construct something – a Sackbot with some logic doesn’t count as a contraption.
  • It must be a single contraption, however it can transform or split into multiple parts.
  • It should be quick, although unlike the Olympics, we will be judging style over speed.
  • Keep the controls as simple as possible.
  • We don’t want to see the contraption doing anything other than what we’ve asked for.
  • Try and keep the level to no more than 3 minutes in length.
  • Provide quick access to the contraption, there’s no need for long cutscenes!
  • We only judge the contraption, but a nicely presented level is always a plus.

1. Create a level with your contraption at the start, some water in the middle and some hurdles at the end.
  2. Once it’s finished, give it a title with CC17 in there somewhere (e.g. “CC16 – Super Awesome Triathlete!”).
  3. Publish before 23:55 BST on Sunday 19th August 2012 (what time that is where I live?)
  4. Post a link to your level in this thread.
  5. Check out what everyone else has been making by searching for CC17 (or just click here to queue up some levels).

When all of your incredible creations are done and published, we’ll play the levels and pick five finalists. You’ll get the chance to vote which one you liked the best and we’ll release a video counting down to reveal the winner, who will be awarded both a Prize Crown and a Contraption Challenge Pin! This super-rare in-game pin is awarded to only the best of the best in recognition of your creative skillz of awesome for you to proudly display on your profile.

Good luck!

• The level must be playable in LittleBigPlanet 2.
  • Make sure your levels are viewable on LBP.me (find out how to change your settings here).
  • You can only publish one level with one contraption.
  • You can enter either by yourself OR in a team of up to 4 people (one person should publish the level and list the other creators in the level description with @ in front of their PSN name). Note however that if a team wins, only the level publisher will receive a crown.
  • Levels must be published BEFORE 23:55 BST 19th August 2012 with CC17 in the title.
  • Edit your level and republish it as much as you like before the deadline, but do not republish after the deadline (at least not until the contest is over). Any levels published or republished after the deadline will be disqualified, except in in exceptional circumstances.
  • Make it your own creation, don’t copy someone else’s and claim it as yours!

Want an easy link to bookmark so you can always find the latest challenge thread? Look no further.

You can follow us on Twitter @LBPContraptions to keep up-to-date with all the latest news about the challenges. You can also subscribe to our mailing list to receive email alerts wherever something happens. There’s also the PSN account LBPContraptions, where all CC related levels will be published (keep an eye on this when the voting begins).

And finally, be sure to check out our YouTube channel, where we feature all finalists from every challenge.

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Chimpanzee

• Beta Tester
94%
06 Rank
Progress
Chimpanzee
Accepted Solution
You mean that someone had already made a running, jumping and swimming contraption NOT for the challenge? PM me an LBP.me link. I'll have to take a look at this one.
0 Kudos

Re: Contraption Challenge 17: Triathlete

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

the3starr

80%
02 Rank
Progress
the3starr
Accepted Solution
Sorry for all the questions, but ...
I've never actually submitted an entry In The CC Challenges , so I've never really had experience !
The contraption is going well, but trouble swimming, I am currently working Some logics for that. Trouble is the only problem there... And the level can be however the team wishes? So I've recently saw the recent winners contraption, and it's pretty complex, so should your contraption have very complex logic , or very complex gears and Movement? I am not really sure why the deadline is for EST time , When the deadline occurs , no changing the title or description ? Correct? And you say "a great level is always a plus" By that you mean that 'the contraption shall be well presented' . In this level do add anything else than what you've asked, right? And this can be Olympian theme? The level publisher will receive the 'Rare prize Crown' and will the Whole team get the pin also? Can it be mech (robot) Contraption type?

~3starr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The3starr

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nazar_Ops

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Nazar_Ops
Accepted Solution

It says that the controls must not be complex. And also it says that only the publisher of the lvl will earn a crown. But i remember last time when Zippopot won, he and his team got a crown. So idk what's up with that.

The contraption can be on wheels or legs.

0 Kudos

Check out my YouTube PS Vita channel! www.youtube.com/user/PSVITAGAMINGUNITE :)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

the3starr wrote:
And the level can be however the team wishes? 

Yep, use your imagination. As long as you meet the sketchy requirements of 'your contraption at the start, some water in the middle and some hurdles at the end', you'll be fine.

should your contraption have very complex logic , or very complex gears and Movement?

It's very difficult to say. We're looking to be impressed. We might be impressed by something wonderfully artistic and graceful, or intricate, ingenious or inventive. Complexity alone should never be your target but in order to achieve amazing, complexity will probably be required, at some level. :)

I am not really sure why the deadline is for EST time

Follow the link in the Competition rules '(what time that is where I live?)' ;)

When the deadline occurs , no changing the title or description ? Correct? 

Absolutely no changes at all - don't change anything, or even republish it unchanged or move it somewhere else on your planet. We can't tell the difference between a massive change and a tiny non-change update so any change will lead to potential disqualification.

And you say "a great level is always a plus" By that you mean that 'the contraption shall be well presented' . In this level do add anything else than what you've asked, right? And this can be Olympian theme?

We're only judging the contraption, in principle, but we're only human. A well-presented level will always make a contraption seem just that little bit better.

You can make the contraption / level do more than we ask for but as judges, we would like to assess the specific things that we're testing for, i.e. 'running', swimming and hurdling. You can go with an Olympic theme if you want, but you might find that you're not the only one with that idea... :)

creature00 wrote:

heres another for you: will what I name my contraption have any sway in what you judges think of it?

If the level name is naughty enough to make us reach for the 'Good Grief' form, then yes, what you name it could have some sway in what we think of it... Otherwise no, not really.

twins3n4 wrote:

please disregard the super shorts level, it has been deleted to make way for this one!  

Don't worry about early-published levels. I won't even look at a CC17 level until the entry period closes. I don't want to prejudice myself with incorrect early impressions.

CompanionCube13 wrote:

>_< i don't really know how to post a link :(

It depends on what sort of web browser you're using here, but in a full-featured PC/Mac browser you should be able to click on the little chain-links icon in the 'Rich Text' window of the Edit window, then copy your web address into the pop-up box.

Or just paste the web address here, and when you post it, the forum will automatically add a link.

Like this: http://lbp.me/v/dcyjp6

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

creature00

80%
02 Rank
Progress
creature00
Accepted Solution

ok, I'm not a naughty sack, lol I was thinking of naming it A.T.M.O.S ( All Terrain Mechanical Olympian Savage) and I claim that Acronym! :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
46%
02 Rank
Progress
kleines_schnucki
Accepted Solution
It seems like he has deleted the level. Me and one more witness noticed it was copied. He deleted my review once, and the other guys review twice.... It couldn't swim, it could fly and run.. I noticed also that he had to adjust the level to make sure it was able to legit for his contraption to function... Such as, it walked in the water (On the bottom of the water).. And when it was supposed to *Jump* it flew, and he had to put roofs for it to work...

And yeah, the object was made by another person. I have the exact same object in my community objects. And he didn't make it.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
94%
03 Rank
Progress
Elessar_Telemnar
Accepted Solution

May have to miss out on this CC as well.

PS3 has just gone up a certain creek without a paddle, so it'll be a while before I'm on again.

I'll look forward to seeing what you lovely people can come up with though!

Bad times,

E_T

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Chimpanzee

• Beta Tester
94%
06 Rank
Progress
Chimpanzee
Accepted Solution

Elessar_Telemnar wrote:

May have to miss out on this CC as well.

PS3 has just gone up a certain creek without a paddle, so it'll be a while before I'm on again.

I'll look forward to seeing what you lovely people can come up with though!

Bad times,

E_T

Aww. Sorry to hear that. I've been there.

the3starr wrote:
Is there any specific order that the Run , jump , and swim have to be in?

See requirement #1: "The contraption must complete the events in the order specified."

the3starr wrote:
Last question:
It's considered 'Not Fair' to other entrants to advertise and tell people to vote for you on websites etc?

We don't have a problem with finalists letting people know that they've made it to the top 5 and encouraging people to go and vote. However, we probably wouldn't look kindly on finalists actively campaigning for people to go and blindly vote for their level without playing it or the other entires. It's not specifically against the rules but it's not in the spirit of the challenge. The contest is to try and find the best contraption builders, not the best campaign managers. ;)

the3starr wrote:
Will I be disqualified if I keep asking questions?!

~3starr

Possibly ;) ....                           no :)

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
31%
02 Rank
Progress
Ghost-Soldier-10
Accepted Solution

Hi Here Is The Entry To My CC17 May Not Be The Best But I Hope You Like.Luck http://lbp.me/v/dddjqr

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jakeinator123

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jakeinator123
Accepted Solution

Just so I'm clear here, two questions:

So adding extra features such as guns, force feilds, cookie dispensers, ect, won't deduct any points on our judging tally as long as they don't get in the way of the contraption, or had too much time spent on them? I was thinking of adding some just for looks.

And would It be fine if I made a cinematic level that links to the contraption level that is totally skippable for you judges?

I'm really excited about this challenge, and I'm having a lot of fun building my entry :D Thank you guys for keeping up these contests for all this time, It's been a blast so far!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Chimpanzee

• Beta Tester
94%
06 Rank
Progress
Chimpanzee
Accepted Solution

So adding extra features such as guns, force feilds, cookie dispensers, ect, won't deduct any points on our judging tally as long as they don't get in the way of the contraption, or had too much time spent on them? I was thinking of adding some just for looks.

Yes, that's correct. Any really, you can spend as much time on them as you like as long as the contraption itself is awesome as well.

And would It be fine if I made a cinematic level that links to the contraption level that is totally skippable for you judges?

Yes, that's fine too.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

creature00

80%
02 Rank
Progress
creature00
Accepted Solution

you guys are getting alot more questions than last time.

heres another for you: will what I name my contraption have any sway in what you judges think of it?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

Nuclearfish

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Nuclearfish
Accepted Solution

creature00 wrote:

you guys are getting alot more questions than last time.

It won't sway our final decisions, but it'll certainly give us expectations when we go into the level. ;)

creature00 wrote:

ok, I'm not a naughty sack, lol I was thinking of naming it A.T.M.O.S ( All Terrain Mechanical Olympian Savage) and I claim that Acronym! :smileyhappy:

Well... technically ATMOS was used in an episode of Doctor Who and stands for Atmospheric Omission System... but I don't think anyone will care. :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

creature00

80%
02 Rank
Progress
creature00
Accepted Solution

yes, atmos was used in doctor who, in fact thats where I kinda got inspiration from. but I don't believe they copyrighted it, lol. 

as for the expectations..my mech does look like a mechanical savage or monster.

I'm sorry am I bothering you?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

the3starr

80%
02 Rank
Progress
the3starr
Accepted Solution
Last question:
It's considered 'Not Fair' to other entrants to advertise and tell people to vote for you on websites etc?
Will I be disqualified if I keep asking questions?!

~3starr
0 Kudos

The3starr

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

creature00

80%
02 Rank
Progress
creature00
Accepted Solution
I'm not one of the judges but as a contestant I do believe that would be rather unfair

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

twins3n4

44%
02 Rank
Progress
twins3n4
Accepted Solution

Here is my link to my CC17 contraption, Karate Pelican! http://lbp.me/v/df0t-7     :Samurai:  and please disregard the super shorts level, it has been deleted to make way for this one!   :King:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CompanionCube13

59%
02 Rank
Progress
CompanionCube13
Accepted Solution

so, tell me if my lvl is posted below. >_< i don't really know how to post a link :(My CC17 level

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Meow

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CompanionCube13

59%
02 Rank
Progress
CompanionCube13
Accepted Solution

Ok, Heres my entry for CC17! And play others as well, there are some real gems out there! http://lbp.me/v/dcyjp6

0 Kudos

Meow

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

agumario1

35%
02 Rank
Progress