Sonic42

84%
02 Rank
Progress

Why is it so difficult to get plays?

20 Replies 301 Views Created 21-07-2011
21 Jul 2011
By Sonic42

I work hard to produce quality content for the community. I don't republish copyable levels. I don't throw 2 blocks of sponge and a entrance together and call it a level. I don't spend 10 minutes on a bomb survival or a zombie attack level. I spend hours creating unique and entertaining creations. I work hard to advertise my level throught a number of outlets. Yet I watch my levels fail, time and time again.

What am I doing wrong?? Why can't I get more than 3 plays while levels created in no more than 15 minutes get thousands every day?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

I always had a plan to do a little experiment, but I have yet to publish a level that I think would make it worthwhile.

My plan was to publish a level, and see how many plays it got in a couple of weeks.

Then I would dedicate a day or two to playing as many community levels as possible and leave constructive feedback on every level. But never to ask people to play my level.

My theory is that one of the best ways to get plays is to play other people's levels. I reckon loads of people reciprocate.

Fancy trying my experiment?

Re: Why is it so difficult to get plays?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Sonic42

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Sonic42
Accepted Solution

QuietlyWrong wrote:

I always had a plan to do a little experiment, but I have yet to publish a level that I think would make it worthwhile.

My plan was to publish a level, and see how many plays it got in a couple of weeks.

Then I would dedicate a day or two to playing as many community levels as possible and leave constructive feedback on every level. But never to ask people to play my level.

My theory is that one of the best ways to get plays is to play other people's levels. I reckon loads of people reciprocate.

Fancy trying my experiment?

Sure, I'll try it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nazar_Ops

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Nazar_Ops
Accepted Solution

Make an add in other levels, comment section. like, Play my level?

0 Kudos

Check out my YouTube PS Vita channel! www.youtube.com/user/PSVITAGAMINGUNITE :)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Sonic42

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Sonic42
Accepted Solution

Nazar_Ops wrote:

Make an add in other levels, comment section. like, Play my level?

Done it. Many times.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nazar_Ops

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Nazar_Ops
Accepted Solution

Contiune, well i wouldnt recommend maybe it becuse people can get mad becuse u write on every level "play my level" and starting to hate.

Advert on other LBP sites maybe? Like LBPcentral, has alot of people, that can play your level. Try there.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Chaos_Martin

95%
05 Rank
Progress
Chaos_Martin
Accepted Solution

Also try making a theme level, like sonic the hedgehog, donkey Kong, street fighter, etc

I got a level named Sacksettlement and it's a place where people can post their LL. I got a few people walking through Sacksettlement and if they see your level they might try it. Also I'll play your level for you.

0 Kudos

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/chaos_martin/BehemothKingSmallSig_zpsa0bf96f3.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Sonic42

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Sonic42
Accepted Solution

Chaos_Martin wrote:

Also try making a theme level, like sonic the hedgehog, donkey Kong, street fighter, etc

I got a level named Sacksettlement and it's a place where people can post their LL. I got a few people walking through Sacksettlement and if they see your level they might try it. Also I'll play your level for you.

Queue'd.

EDIT: Sign-in is still offline, so... not queue'd. But I will queue it. Later.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ryguy_64

84%
02 Rank
Progress
ryguy_64
Accepted Solution

Sonic42 wrote:

Chaos_Martin wrote:

Queue'd.

EDIT: Sign-in is still offline, so... not queue'd. But I will queue it. Later.

Ah, yes, I fully support Sack Settlement, you should definitely join it if you get the opportunity! :D

And because I'm such a lovely person, Sonic42, Ive queued your levels :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

frogmanlego

80%
02 Rank
Progress
frogmanlego
Accepted Solution
ikr some ***** levels have thousands of plays........
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Sonic42

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Sonic42
Accepted Solution

Nazar_Ops wrote:

Contiune, well i wouldnt recommend maybe it becuse people can get mad becuse u write on every level "play my level" and starting to hate.

Advert on other LBP sites maybe? Like LBPcentral, has alot of people, that can play your level. Try there.

I don't do that, I comment on levels made for advertisment as well as submit my level for display.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EaziG

80%
02 Rank
Progress
EaziG
Accepted Solution
Hi,

Sorry to hear that your levels are getting a low play count. I Can understand how difficult it can be to get a level noticed when there are so many out there.
Normally when a level is first published it gets placed on one of the front pages so that it will receive plays quickly. However I don't agree with people republishing their levels in an attempt to keep it on the front page.

I haven't played your levels yet, but I will queue them up right now to play later.
Still, my advice would always be to spend a lot of time polishing your level and making sure the first impressions are good, so the player carries on playing. Make sure your badge is eye catching, remember that many people will be sifting through the levels to see if anything looks good, so a clean, custom made badge always looks better than a dull dark one or one that just uses a standard sticker.
The better the level the more people will play it, rate it well and tell others to play it too.

I'd have to say that posting "play my level" comments on other people's levels never really catch my eye, although a more interesting comment perhaps stating why you liked the persons level, then suggesting a play of your own giving a brief reason why it's worth playing would catch myeye more and I have played levels via comments like this.

I really hope I've helped, and hope you get your plays increased.
EaziG

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Squidooer

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Squidooer
Accepted Solution

One thing that you could do to get plays is to drag ppl into your levels. Just play the early story levels, make sure your settings don't make you join other ppls games but let ppl join yours, once you have ppl in your game just go to your level and play that ... it is a very slow way to get ppl to play your level but it does work.

You could also try getting a card like this one:-

from:- http://lbp-me.lbp2blog.com/sigs/  and use it in your forum signature(s)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Squidooer

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Squidooer
Accepted Solution

Whoops forgot to put link on my card and forum won't let me edit it again so I made this one live just incase u r interested in playing my bad level (which I do intend to try and make better later ... honest).

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nazar_Ops

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Nazar_Ops
Accepted Solution

Gonna try it out laiter.

BTW, i know some ways to get people interresed in your level. First, make an good level icon, that looks good enough and explains maybe the head character of the level or just your level. Second, make a catchy name for the level, that explains what you gonna do in it. Like some boy named johnny is lost, name it then "find johnny".

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Elmatto753

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Elmatto753
Accepted Solution

Nazar_Ops wrote:

Gonna try it out laiter.

BTW, i know some ways to get people interresed in your level. First, make an good level icon, that looks good enough and explains maybe the head character of the level or just your level. Second, make a catchy name for the level, that explains what you gonna do in it. Like some boy named johnny is lost, name it then "find johnny".

But make the name more original than "find johnny". That won't make people want to play it. Try something more intriguing that still does the same job, like "Little Boy Lost" in this case.

0 Kudos

Still not dead. Probably.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nazar_Ops

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Nazar_Ops
Accepted Solution

Yeah, something like that. I bet 100 people see's our level, but dont want to play it, becuse probaly, the icon dosent attract them into the level and the name also.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Elmatto753

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Elmatto753
Accepted Solution

It's a lot to do with what people search, so common words are good to include in your title if possible. That's probably why my levels get so few plays, other than the ones with "Tutorial" in the title.

0 Kudos

Still not dead. Probably.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nazar_Ops

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Nazar_Ops
Accepted Solution

EaziG wrote:
Hi,

Sorry to hear that your levels are getting a low play count. I Can understand how difficult it can be to get a level noticed when there are so many out there.
Normally when a level is first published it gets placed on one of the front pages so that it will receive plays quickly. However I don't agree with people republishing their levels in an attempt to keep it on the front page.

I haven't played your levels yet, but I will queue them up right now to play later.
Still, my advice would always be to spend a lot of time polishing your level and making sure the first impressions are good, so the player carries on playing. Make sure your badge is eye catching, remember that many people will be sifting through the levels to see if anything looks good, so a clean, custom made badge always looks better than a dull dark one or one that just uses a standard sticker.
The better the level the more people will play it, rate it well and tell others to play it too.

I'd have to say that posting "play my level" comments on other people's levels never really catch my eye, although a more interesting comment perhaps stating why you liked the persons level, then suggesting a play of your own giving a brief reason why it's worth playing would catch myeye more and I have played levels via comments like this.

I really hope I've helped, and hope you get your plays increased.
EaziG

Listen to this guy. He knows what hes talking.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ryguy_64

84%
02 Rank
Progress
ryguy_64
Accepted Solution
Sonic42, I played your Combo Breaker level and left a review. :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Squidooer

98%
06 Rank
Progress
Squidooer
Accepted Solution

I think the biggest problem with getting ppl to play levels is trophies, more specifically the trophies for getting so many ppl to either play or heart your levels. This may inspire some ppl to make good levels but it just makes trophy whores throw any old crap together and then go around begging for plays and hearts.

I like playing through other ppls levels but it is such a downer sifting through all the crap to find a good level worth playing. And then when you do find a good level you get part way through it and get to a stupid hard bit that is just not worth the time and effort to get past. So after that I just go and play the cool levels or MM picks.

BTW, I do know the level I made aint that good but I do intend to go back and tweek it here and there to see if I can make it better.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel