45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

MAG. Female characters.

17 Replies 4,341 Views Created 03-12-2009
My girlfriend says she would like to see female characters in this game, althought i would say most players of this game are male i agree with her. She loves Warhawk and wishes there was a female character on that game also. Personally i would rather MAG be more like warhawk than call of duty. The MAG Beta trail has been fun i have enjoyed playing thanks for making available to public. 
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Thagmor

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Thagmor
Accepted Solution

Developer response to female characters in MAG...

Reverend_Eyeball wrote:

Actually, we're well aware how many female players are out there, and how many military forces - including SpecOps - are beginning to include female soldiers. Zipper has a pretty strong history of allowing playable female characters in MP, and Fireteam Bravo 2 has female characters on both the Seals and Mercenary teams, including custom gear and voices. So we've got a decent track record already in that area I think.

The issue for MAG is this: current generation games look better. We can't just stick a female character model in the game with male animations where we might have been able to get away with it on the PSP or PS2. It'll look _really_ wierd on the PS3. Likewise, we can't apply male face textures to female models either - that would look... well, terrible. In order to make really great characters in MAG (as well as all the First Person hands and weapons) we had to make them male only. We simply don't have the space on disc or in memory to hit our quality level and support male and female versions of all the animations, models, textures, customisation gear etc. Not saying that somewhere down the road this may not change, but for now - yeah, MAG will only support male characters. Apologies, Connoisseur and crew but hopefully you can see the reasoning.

Not that I think this has deterred many women from playing MAG... I'm pretty sure I've been brutally gunned down more than a few in the past few days alone. 

0 Kudos

Re: MAG. Female characters.

/16

Kadajj

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kadajj
Accepted Solution

*We can't just stick a female character model in the game with male animations where we might have been able to get away with it on the PSP or PS2. It'll look _really_ wierd on the PS3.*

Is this Zippers way of selling a game? It give's me a wrong impression with comments like these.

0 Kudos

/16

GT-R32_Skyline

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GT-R32_Skyline
Accepted Solution
I don't understand what did they mean not enough space Blu-Ray has 50gb of space on dual layer if they can't fit it there they are doing something wrong i understand that the beta doesn't have them cause it's a beta and it doesn't have evrything in it yeat
0 Kudos

/16

Blokeh

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Blokeh
Accepted Solution

Imagine how hard the PS3 and servers are being pushed to do 256 player battles at once.

Now try adding a whole new set of models, skins, voices and animations onto that.

Keep it clean and simple and you keep it fast and problem free.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

hol666

• Beta Tester
82%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hol666
Accepted Solution
What I think the Zipper guy meant was there isn't enough room in the PS3's memory to accomodate both male and female skins and textures, I sincerely doubt that MAG would fill a bluray let alone a double layer dvd.  Hope that helps clear it up?
0 Kudos

http://community.modnation.com/en-gb/creations/tracks/search?q=onr check 'em out ;)
/16

GT-R32_Skyline

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GT-R32_Skyline
Accepted Solution

hol666 wrote:
What I think the Zipper guy meant was there isn't enough room in the PS3's memory to accomodate both male and female skins and textures, I sincerely doubt that MAG would fill a bluray let alone a double layer dvd.  Hope that helps clear it up?

Oh ok

0 Kudos

/16

saberdragon

91%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
saberdragon
Accepted Solution

Maybe its a good thing there are not making female characters!!!!!

If you look through some of the threads/posts on the "War & Shoot 'Em Ups"  forums your see a few references to T-Bagging dead enemies!!!!

(Google it before you come asking whats T-Bagging lol.....)

0 Kudos

men of the imperium do you want to live for ever!!!
/16

GRYM-TYME

45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GRYM-TYME
Accepted Solution

the "SNAIL TRAIL" i have heard it been termed as.

0 Kudos

/16

sandystrachan

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sandystrachan
Accepted Solution
What's the point in a female character .?
It's a first person shooter , you cant see the character .
The enemy ( most of ) dont look @ the characters they kill .
I and indeed Zipper dont see the benefits or advantage to it .
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

irononreverse

• Beta Tester
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
irononreverse
Accepted Solution

hol666 wrote:

It's not about disc space. It's about the PS3's RAM, there's 256mb, about 40mb of which is reserved for the OS.

By only having one player type, they only need one set of animations which can be used for all the players. Adding a female model would double the amount of memory needed for rendering models and the extra set of animations would impact it even further.

They had the same issue with Resistance 1 which they remedied in Resistance 2.
0 Kudos

/16

Noisepurge

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Noisepurge
Accepted Solution

nah, i dont buy this "not enough memory or space" explanation for a second :D

i play Metal Gear Online and it has way more animations that are available and you can play as male or female.

All the different melee moves, jumping, rolling, hiding, stunning, sleeping, looking over a ledge...

Message Edited by Noisepurge on 05-12-2009 10:05 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16
23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
psycoticsmartass
Accepted Solution

My daughter bought MAG yesterday for herself.  I must say, I was disappointed that there are no female characters. But thats not gonna stop me or her from playing.  We can kick ass as a male character on MAG just like we do on MW2.  I just wish she wouldn't have bought it. Another ***** game to get addicted to.. sigh

0 Kudos

/16

GRYM-TYME

45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GRYM-TYME
Accepted Solution

Thanks for comments, i understand good reasoning, less work more play lol have fun. :)

0 Kudos

/16

FoxGirl

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FoxGirl
Accepted Solution
MGO has same animations for both and it doesn't look weird at all!
0 Kudos

/16

Blokeh

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Blokeh
Accepted Solution

MGO doesn't have 256 players per map nor the amount of action going on all at once that MAG does.

Would you rather have a load of different animations and models and a very sluggish game as it tries to render everyone all at once, or would you rather just put up with this minor detail and have an awesome, hectic, frantic game?

Also, if someone was a female, they'd just be swamped with immature idiots asking "ASL LOL" or going "OMG DERE IS GIRLZ ON TEH INTARNET LOLOL".

0 Kudos

/16

Noisepurge

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Noisepurge
Accepted Solution

no, Metal Gear does not have 256 players, but in MAG the 256 players all have the same animations, its not like they have 256 different animation models going on, its just one model duplicated.

Metal Gear has two different models being duplicated. And duplication is something the PS3 is known to handle very well...

0 Kudos

/16

Blokeh

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Blokeh
Accepted Solution
Thats the thing though.... a female skin wouldn't look right running like a man, so they'd require new animations.... the more they add, the higher the risk of the game slowing down.... and who wants that?
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel