Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

MAG review hits an 8

64 Replies 1,030 Views Created 25-01-2010

http://www.destructoid.com/review-mag-161264.phtml

Quote*

Of course, it's the size and scope of MAG that makes it more than just a shooter, and here is where Zipper Interactive has truly impressed.

Despite the lack of player information and sometimes confusing objectives, the huge scale of the battles has been produced expertly and works out incredibly well.

Zipper's decision to split the armies into squads in order to keep 256 players from congesting the map was very wise and keeps the game feeling huge but not overwhelming. Sometimes this can lead to large sections of map with nothing going on, and sometimes it can lead to choke points full of too much action, but generally the balance is impressive.

I cant wait to get my hands on this puppy.... Im gonna really sink my teeth into this for a few weeks and see if it can pass my longevity threshold for 99% of games...

3 weeks. I played the beta for 3 weeks so Im expecting this to keep my fps needs in check for the year, alongside bfbc2.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Dannehkins

99%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Dannehkins
Accepted Solution
Well to be frank, I need something different that isn't Modern Warfare II. It just hasn't kept me as interested as number 4 so hopefully MAG is my saviour. The beta was very entertaining, but sadly I couldn't continue due to the massive update sizes so I missed the improvement stage that I've heard people mentioning.

So all in all, I am looking forward to it. Hopefully it picks up :D
0 Kudos

Re: MAG review hits an 8

/16

AidyD

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AidyD
Accepted Solution
Oh it improved loads from closed beta to open beta, felt so much mre alive and fresh for me.

Also looking forward to having the full graphics on my HDTV instead of the reduced ones from beta - Il have to add you Dannehkins, if you get it on friday.
0 Kudos

/16

Pungza

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pungza
Accepted Solution

Got an 8 from Sixthaxis aswell. http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/01/25/review-mag/

Pros:

• Audacious premise some will fall into and never re-surface from.
  • Not another typical FPS; takes chances and pulls most off with aplomb.
  • Promotes smart play and a collaborative effort, embracing the future of gaming as being online.
  • Deep immersion.
  • Huge scope for re-playability and customisation.

Cons:

• Visually not the most impressive game out there.
  • Controls can be finicky at times.
  • Visibility of what’s going on at a higher level can be sometimes hidden to those on the ground.
  • Enjoyment can depend on others’ investment in the idea of collaboration.
0 Kudos

MVP
/16

englishgolfer

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
englishgolfer
Accepted Solution
though it's good to get reviews in, the game hasn't come out yet. surely it's hard to review a game that needs (up to) 256 people to play it and make it "reviewable". must have been a bit boring running around alone in your "review copy" of the game.... unless the reviews are based on the beta.

still, an 8 is good. hope enough people pick it up (and sony get behind it in advertising).
0 Kudos

Community Forum Events | Click for all things Uncharted! | Community Twitch Channel

Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
/16

Naeeni

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Naeeni
Accepted Solution

Servers aren't up yet are they?

No point taking any notice from these reviews.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

DrTrouserPlank

• Beta Tester
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DrTrouserPlank
Accepted Solution
The 256 player limit is very gimmicky. It's cited as a great asset to this game but I fail to see the attraction. The whole purpose of this game's creation seems to be to prove that consoles can do large-scale MP like PC's do; however just because something can be done, doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. The large scale MP doesn't add anything to the game that can't be had elsewhere, except of course an increased probability that you will be sniped from every inconceivable direction by enemies who could be anywhere. The scale of the maps and distance required to reach the objectives make this very tedious.

Maybe it's fun if you are playing in a team of people who you know, but as a pick-up-and-play public game (the very essence of console MP gaming) this game just doesn't work. The ambitiousness of this game's vision far exceeds the reality of playing it.

PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore
/16

AidyD

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AidyD
Accepted Solution

DrTrouserPlank wrote:
The 256 player limit is very gimmicky. It's cited as a great asset to this game but I fail to see the attraction. The whole purpose of this game's creation seems to be to prove that consoles can do large-scale MP like PC's do; however just because something can be done, doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. The large scale MP doesn't add anything to the game that can't be had elsewhere, except of course an increased probability that you will be sniped from every inconceivable direction by enemies who could be anywhere. The scale of the maps and distance required to reach the objectives make this very tedious.

Maybe it's fun if you are playing in a team of people who you know, but as a pick-up-and-play public game (the very essence of console MP gaming) this game just doesn't work. The ambitiousness of this game's vision far exceeds the reality of playing it.

What aload of rubbish.

I beg ANYONE IN THE WORLD. ANYONE! To sit down with a PS3...

First spend a day playing 12 vs 12 on cod, whilst sprinting around the map at full speed, the map thats no bigger than my garden shed.

Spend the next day playing BFBC, 16 vs 16 on (in comparison) massive maps, tactics take a whole new dynamic, with space, buildings, vehicles and so on.

Then spend the next day on MAG, 123 vs 123 on gigantic maps, where tactics and teamwork are vital to winning a match - not like cod where he who runs around twitch killing people whilst drinking pepsi and screaming BOOM HEADSHOT! At all times.

You need to work together, as a team, you could have to take out 50 people to succeed in one go, in which a well oiled team is vital.

Anyway - ANYONE play all three games, and see if you agree with Trouserplanks 'its just a gimmick and doesnt add anything to the game'.

Um... Yea it does? The entire reason its different to play to every other generic fps game. Its an entire battlefield with a completely different dynamics.

MVP
/16

englishgolfer

• MVP
100%
16 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
englishgolfer
Accepted Solution

AidyD wrote:

Then spend the next day on MAG, 123 vs 123 on gigantic maps, where tactics and teamwork are vital to winning a match - not like cod where he who runs around twitch killing people whilst drinking pepsi and screaming BOOM HEADSHOT! At all times.

errr that only makes 246. ;) where the other 10 go?

0 Kudos

Community Forum Events | Click for all things Uncharted! | Community Twitch Channel

Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
Beta Tester
/16

thenoobkiller

• Beta Tester
94%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
thenoobkiller
Accepted Solution

AidyD wrote:

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

What aload of rubbish.

I beg ANYONE IN THE WORLD. ANYONE! To sit down with a PS3...

First spend a day playing 12 vs 12 on cod, whilst sprinting around the map at full speed, the map thats no bigger than my garden shed.

Spend the next day playing BFBC, 16 vs 16 on (in comparison) massive maps, tactics take a whole new dynamic, with space, buildings, vehicles and so on.

You need to work together, as a team, you could have to take out 50 people to succeed in one go, in which a well oiled team is vital.

Anyway - ANYONE play all three games, and see if you agree with Trouserplanks 'its just a gimmick and doesnt add anything to the game'.

Um... Yea it does? The entire reason its different to play to every other generic fps game. Its an entire battlefield with a completely different dynamics.

I've played all 3.
I would agree that the 256 player aspect is a gimmick. That's it's hook. Besides, it's not like 128 players are actually playing 'together' as a team. Platoons mingle on occasion.
The ONLY way it works from a 128-a-side p.o.v is with communication from the OIC down to the platoon leaders and then subsequently down to the squad leaders. It's immense fun in a communicative squad where everyone works together but where I'd agree with Trouserplank is that it's not suited to 'pick up and play' gamers who aren't playing with mates or clan comrades. IMO.

0 Kudos

/16

RotorHed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RotorHed
Accepted Solution

DrTrouserPlank wrote:
The 256 player limit is very gimmicky. It's cited as a great asset to this game but I fail to see the attraction. The whole purpose of this game's creation seems to be to prove that consoles can do large-scale MP like PC's do;

I hear this a lot, all over the place. I play a lot of PC games and yet I haven't come across many 256 player FPSs. In fact I can only think of one, and that one was virtually unplayable due to lag.

So, please enlighten me/us - what & where are these 256 player FPSs on PC - from the way people throw this line out you'd imagine I'd be falling over them on the net and in shops, I'm not.

However, the general point about 256 players is important because the number is overriding what that means to the player

a) in a 5v5 or 8v8 or even 16v16, if there's one good player - you know the guy ruling the board and seems to be anle to kill at will, that guy, if it's you, feels invincible. He's basically able to own the other team single handed because there's not many of player out there.

However, eventually scale beats skill - ask the German Eastern Front veterans. It doesn't matter how good you are when a 128 players are out there against you - by yourself you won't win the game. That's what makes MAG an optimal team work game, because a single person won't turn the tide - even against a disorganised opponent.

b) While there are games (even the venerable Resistance 2) which have lots of players in the game, the tricky bit is making possible for the players to play in an organised way without much effort. During the MAG beta, even on the teams where no one was talking and everyone was doing their own thing, I still knew from my HUD and mission type what I was supposed to do - since I wasn't alone trying to do it, so did everyone else. That's what MAG does right that no other game has. Yes the interface is somewhat confusing at first, but an hour or so in you realise those little icons mean something and start helping the team.

So let's not hate on MAG - it's not just about the 256 number, but how it's implemented.

Rotor.

0 Kudos

/16

Stazbumpa

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Stazbumpa
Accepted Solution

I'm with RotorHed.

I've never seen 128vs128 on the PC anywhere, the most in a FPS tends to be a 64 man server (regular in BF2142), although the most I've ever seen online was a 100 vs 100 (give or take) death fest in Warhammer Online.  It's worth noting that the server crashed when the fight moved to a keep.

I don't see the problem with MAG *possibly* not being to the MW2 crowd's taste.  I'm actually counting on it, as MW2 is rubbish and a lot of the players are morons.  The thing I find most entertaining about this whole MAG debate is that people are already slating it based on the beta alone or, more amusingly, not having played it at all.

Let's all wait and see eh?  That way we don't open our mouths and say something silly.

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

sheepbringer

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sheepbringer
Accepted Solution

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

So you missed one area of the game completely. It's also about commanding and squads. Yes, if this game would be all about running and shooting anything that moves in a team...then you might as well have 7 player co-op against the computer.  Why bother having human targets? 
The whole point is to have 128people running about taking commands and following them. Also about giving commands. You kinda missed that....go back and play MW2. Should give hours of fun and top level graphics and you go all commando. 

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

DrTrouserPlank

• Beta Tester
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DrTrouserPlank
Accepted Solution

sheepbringer wrote:

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

So you missed one area of the game completely. It's also about commanding and squads. Yes, if this game would be all about running and shooting anything that moves in a team...then you might as well have 7 player co-op against the computer.  Why bother having human targets? 
The whole point is to have 128people running about taking commands and following them. Also about giving commands. You kinda missed that....go back and play MW2. Should give hours of fun and top level graphics and you go all commando. 

Why don't you go read my other posts before resorting to a jibe about Call of Duty, a game that I hold in pretty low regard as it happens.

The aspect of commanding teams is all well and good, but is severely flawed on a system that doesn't have a headset as standard, and a game that doesn't come with a headset as standard.

To revisit your earlier comment about COD, a game that has infected most people's lives; have you not considered that this game will sell well (as all FPS games do nowadays) especially to the millions of kids who think COD is the best game ever created?. People who have no intention of communicating and playing tactically?. What happens to the objective-based aspect of this game when a large proportion of your team are going "all commando" as you like to put it without any comms? Do you not just end up at a lengthy stalemate as "SnoopDogdunYoMamma" tries to rack up as many snipes as he can, and both "10inchSchlong" and "racistKiddie96" 'go commando' and leave you all on your own to battle the waves of other randoms who will treat this game like a deathmatch?
0 Kudos

/16

Stazbumpa

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Stazbumpa
Accepted Solution

You don't need a headset for teamplay.  It helps, but it isn't game breaking if you end up without..

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

dan_boro_07

92%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dan_boro_07
Accepted Solution

8s are not bad, but hardly going to win GOTYs left right and centre despite the concept (and if you actually care to conceder the fact that 256 players is about 4 times as much as any other game on the market (console)!

However, I have to say based on the beta, the game doesnt look amazing & Im not a massive fan of the feel. 

Hell, if that had the COD engine/ graphics / feel etc, but with 256 players, it would score 10s! (though not exactly possible with the size of the maps... But I still think better graphics would have gone down well- gotta wait and see though :))

Just how everyone likes the FPS these days... COD clones. :(

Which is perhaps why KZ2 didnt do as well as it should, and why MAG (i think) wont do as well as it should. 

Shame really.... I like it when devs decide to stick there neck out a bit and push the boat... COD certainly doesnt do that... MAG does (Y)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Please subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/user/SeedGamesTV
Search for "SEED Games" in facebook pages.
/16

Abyssmire3

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Abyssmire3
Accepted Solution
Yeah, but COD engine with 256 players? *****tiest gaming experience ever.
0 Kudos

Currently serving fresh sandwiches, adult beverages and claymores at Satellite Uplink A. All factions are encouraged to come get some!
/16

sheepbringer

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
sheepbringer
Accepted Solution

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

Why don't you go read my other posts before resorting to a jibe about Call of Duty, a game that I hold in pretty low regard as it happens.

The aspect of commanding teams is all well and good, but is severely flawed on a system that doesn't have a headset as standard, and a game that doesn't come with a headset as standard.

To revisit your earlier comment about COD, a game that has infected most people's lives; have you not considered that this game will sell well (as all FPS games do nowadays) especially to the millions of kids who think COD is the best game ever created?. People who have no intention of communicating and playing tactically?. What happens to the objective-based aspect of this game when a large proportion of your team are going "all commando" as you like to put it without any comms? Do you not just end up at a lengthy stalemate as "SnoopDogdunYoMamma" tries to rack up as many snipes as he can, and both "10inchSchlong" and "racistKiddie96" 'go commando' and leave you all on your own to battle the waves of other randoms who will treat this game like a deathmatch?
I'm not reading your other post because I'm replying to this thread. If you want you go and read all about my life on a blog, but that doesn't really address the issue at hand. 
To work as a team you don't need a headset. You just need brains. I've played very nice teamwork without a headset. That's the reason WHY they have radar and you can still listen to others. Not to mention even basic tactics are rather easy to follow (cover, direction of fire and so on)
I know this game will sell to many COD fans and thus these "kill anything that moves, be it foe or friendly", but basically you are saying that every developer should only make games for halo fans. THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. It's another matter if you mean it, but that's what you wrote. 
So what if there are snipers who only go about getting frags. The maps are big and thus it will be lonely for them. Another matter is that they won't like the game! They will like COD and MW2 more, because it's about cool graphics and killing people. 
How hard is it to understand. It doesn't matter if you loathe COD. COD IS COD, it's not MAG. You are basically saying that you hate COD, but every single fps should be like COD because the gamers are like COD players. 
Ps. You won't get stalemates due to the amount of players. There will always be players that will follow the general idea of the game. Solo gamers (with the exception of snipers) will always be moved down by teams. Snipers also have o move. Don't forget that there are snipers who work FOR the team, by giving support. Taking out enemy snipers is one of those things. I don't care if the enemy sniper is a fraghappy idiot or a pro. If he's messing with my team I'm taking him out. 
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

DrTrouserPlank

• Beta Tester
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DrTrouserPlank
Accepted Solution
The reason it doesn't add much is because on a huge map that takes a long time to cross, you won't ever meet half the people playing on the map at the same time as you. To all intents and purposes, the game would be the same whether they are there or not.

Conceptually it's quite a good idea that everybody is having their own little battles somewhere on this map, but the game you are playing only exists in the locality of where you are. What is going on elsewhere, well away from your control is somewhat irrelevant.

Incidentally, this has very little to do with COD or what carbonated beverage those players wish to indulge in.
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

fords30

• Beta Tester
99%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
fords30
Accepted Solution
I'm surprised to see it get a couple of 8's to be honest..I was expecting 6's and a few 7's at best.

Just felt like an extremely underwhelming experience on the whole for me. Nice concept but poor execution; a far cry from the original CG trailer shown off at E3.
0 Kudos

/16

AidyD

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AidyD
Accepted Solution
You do realise that if you could all see the other team, and they could see you in one giant mess of 256 players the game would just be a wall of bullets spamming into a mess?

It would be rubbish... Thats no different to saying mmo's are a gimmick because you only ever see 20 people at a time..
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel