MAG

25 Jan 2010
By: AidyD Member 7360 Posts
Level 3

MAG review hits an 8

64 Replies 974 Views Created 25-01-2010

http://www.destructoid.com/review-mag-161264.phtml

Quote*

Of course, it's the size and scope of MAG that makes it more than just a shooter, and here is where Zipper Interactive has truly impressed.

Despite the lack of player information and sometimes confusing objectives, the huge scale of the battles has been produced expertly and works out incredibly well.

Zipper's decision to split the armies into squads in order to keep 256 players from congesting the map was very wise and keeps the game feeling huge but not overwhelming. Sometimes this can lead to large sections of map with nothing going on, and sometimes it can lead to choke points full of too much action, but generally the balance is impressive.

I cant wait to get my hands on this puppy.... Im gonna really sink my teeth into this for a few weeks and see if it can pass my longevity threshold for 99% of games...

3 weeks. I played the beta for 3 weeks so Im expecting this to keep my fps needs in check for the year, alongside bfbc2.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 65 (974 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: MAG review hits an 8

Well to be frank, I need something different that isn't Modern Warfare II. It just hasn't kept me as interested as number 4 so hopefully MAG is my saviour. The beta was very entertaining, but sadly I couldn't continue due to the massive update sizes so I missed the improvement stage that I've heard people mentioning.

So all in all, I am looking forward to it. Hopefully it picks up :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 65 (957 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

The 256 player limit is very gimmicky. It's cited as a great asset to this game but I fail to see the attraction. The whole purpose of this game's creation seems to be to prove that consoles can do large-scale MP like PC's do; however just because something can be done, doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. The large scale MP doesn't add anything to the game that can't be had elsewhere, except of course an increased probability that you will be sniped from every inconceivable direction by enemies who could be anywhere. The scale of the maps and distance required to reach the objectives make this very tedious.

Maybe it's fun if you are playing in a team of people who you know, but as a pick-up-and-play public game (the very essence of console MP gaming) this game just doesn't work. The ambitiousness of this game's vision far exceeds the reality of playing it.
PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 65 (919 Views)
Level 3

Oh it improved loads from closed beta to open beta, felt so much mre alive and fresh for me.

Also looking forward to having the full graphics on my HDTV instead of the reduced ones from beta - Il have to add you Dannehkins, if you get it on friday.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 65 (918 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Got an 8 from Sixthaxis aswell. http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/01/25/review-mag/

Pros:

• Audacious premise some will fall into and never re-surface from.
  • Not another typical FPS; takes chances and pulls most off with aplomb.
  • Promotes smart play and a collaborative effort, embracing the future of gaming as being online.
  • Deep immersion.
  • Huge scope for re-playability and customisation.

Cons:

• Visually not the most impressive game out there.
  • Controls can be finicky at times.
  • Visibility of what’s going on at a higher level can be sometimes hidden to those on the ground.
  • Enjoyment can depend on others’ investment in the idea of collaboration.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 65 (905 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

DrTrouserPlank wrote:
The 256 player limit is very gimmicky. It's cited as a great asset to this game but I fail to see the attraction. The whole purpose of this game's creation seems to be to prove that consoles can do large-scale MP like PC's do; however just because something can be done, doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. The large scale MP doesn't add anything to the game that can't be had elsewhere, except of course an increased probability that you will be sniped from every inconceivable direction by enemies who could be anywhere. The scale of the maps and distance required to reach the objectives make this very tedious.

Maybe it's fun if you are playing in a team of people who you know, but as a pick-up-and-play public game (the very essence of console MP gaming) this game just doesn't work. The ambitiousness of this game's vision far exceeds the reality of playing it.

What aload of rubbish.

I beg ANYONE IN THE WORLD. ANYONE! To sit down with a PS3...

First spend a day playing 12 vs 12 on cod, whilst sprinting around the map at full speed, the map thats no bigger than my garden shed.

Spend the next day playing BFBC, 16 vs 16 on (in comparison) massive maps, tactics take a whole new dynamic, with space, buildings, vehicles and so on.

Then spend the next day on MAG, 123 vs 123 on gigantic maps, where tactics and teamwork are vital to winning a match - not like cod where he who runs around twitch killing people whilst drinking pepsi and screaming BOOM HEADSHOT! At all times.

You need to work together, as a team, you could have to take out 50 people to succeed in one go, in which a well oiled team is vital.

Anyway - ANYONE play all three games, and see if you agree with Trouserplanks 'its just a gimmick and doesnt add anything to the game'.

Um... Yea it does? The entire reason its different to play to every other generic fps game. Its an entire battlefield with a completely different dynamics.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 65 (895 Views)
Level 7

though it's good to get reviews in, the game hasn't come out yet. surely it's hard to review a game that needs (up to) 256 people to play it and make it "reviewable". must have been a bit boring running around alone in your "review copy" of the game.... unless the reviews are based on the beta.

still, an 8 is good. hope enough people pick it up (and sony get behind it in advertising).
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 65 (879 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Servers aren't up yet are they?

No point taking any notice from these reviews.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 65 (853 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]
The reason it doesn't add much is because on a huge map that takes a long time to cross, you won't ever meet half the people playing on the map at the same time as you. To all intents and purposes, the game would be the same whether they are there or not.

Conceptually it's quite a good idea that everybody is having their own little battles somewhere on this map, but the game you are playing only exists in the locality of where you are. What is going on elsewhere, well away from your control is somewhat irrelevant.

Incidentally, this has very little to do with COD or what carbonated beverage those players wish to indulge in.
PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 65 (852 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

AidyD wrote:

Then spend the next day on MAG, 123 vs 123 on gigantic maps, where tactics and teamwork are vital to winning a match - not like cod where he who runs around twitch killing people whilst drinking pepsi and screaming BOOM HEADSHOT! At all times.

errr that only makes 246. :smileywink: where the other 10 go?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 65 (843 Views)
0 Kudos