By T9X-69

T9X-69

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Newbies Guide for MAG (New players please read)

[ Edited ]
85 Replies 32,048 Views edited 24-09-2009

Everything you need to know is right here on the first page.

All credit goes to AbigalSS from the American Beta forums I hope this helps and if you could sticky this that would be great thanks 

Controls

This is the current controller layout for MAG.

We will have additional controller layouts available for players to choose from, but will not allow players to hand-edit individual layouts.

Movement & Aiming

The left analog stick controls basic movement: forward, back, strafe left, and strafe right. The further the stick is deflected, the faster the movement.

Pressing down on L3 initiates a sprint. Returning the left analog stick to neutral or performing other actions – reloading, changing stance, or firing your weapon – break the sprint and returns the player to normal movement.

The right analog stick controls player orientation (pitch and yaw). The further you push the stick, the faster the pitch and yaw.

Jump with the X button. You can jump from a stand, a crouch and while sprinting, but not while prone.

Change stance with the TRIANGLE button. Tapping the button toggles between crouch and stand. Holding in the button toggles between prone and stand. Crouching and going prone increase weapon accuracy and stability at the cost of speed.

Weapons & Gear

All weapons and active gear items are triggered by pressing the R1 button.

The R2 button toggles between the player’s primary weapon (usually a rifle of some sort) and backup weapon (usually a pistol). If the player has added a grenade launcher attachment to his assault rifle, the R2 button cycles through the primary weapon, the backup weapon, and then the grenade launcher.

The L2 button cycles through available gear items (including rocket launchers). Once a gear item is selected, press R1 to use it.

Weapons have a sight mode activated with the L1 button. As long as L1 is held in, the player will look through his weapon’s sights (or scope) and have better accuracy. The accuracy bonus comes at the cost of a lower movement speed. Pressing the d-pad up and d-pad down buttons zoom in and out when using a variable power scope.

The R3 button attacks with the knife, available unless the player is performing complex actions (like arming a bomb). More damage is done if you attack from behind a victim.

World Interaction

The player can interact with various world objects, including enemy gates, objective items, bunkers, vehicles and supply points.

When the player is in range and facing an object they can interact with, an action icon appears at the bottom of the screen describing the action that will be performed if the player holds in the O button.

Entering and leaving bunkers and vehicles is done by tapping the O button, but most other world objects require the O button to be held in until a progress bar fills.

Team Communications

The D-pad is how players communicate with their teammates (aside from the optional headset that allows open voice chat with squadmates).

The player’s role in the mission determines what the D-pad buttons do. Players qualified for the leadership roles (based on character level) opt for leadership in the pre-mission deploy screen.

Squad Members

D-Pad Up: N/A

D-Pad Left: N/A

D-Pad Right: Request menu

D-Pad Down: Identify target

Squad Leaders

D-Pad Up: Chat channels

D-Pad Left: Squad command abilities

Platoon Leaders

D-Pad Left: Platoon command abilities

Company Leaders

D-Pad Left: Company command abilities

Message Edited by T9X-69 on 24-09-2009 09:57 PM
Message Edited by T9X-69 on 24-09-2009 10:01 PM
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

T9X-69

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
T9X-69
Accepted Solution

RufustheKing wrote:
a squad leader guide would be nice

Made a new topic with Squad Leader and OIC guides :)

Thanks for the kudos everyone this should help alot of people out with many questions they have. Also if you have any questions feel free to PM me or message me on PSN. I'll do my best to help 

0 Kudos

Re: Newbies Guide for MAG (New players please read)

/16

SLEEBOSS

55%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SLEEBOSS
Accepted Solution
Thanks for take your own time out to prepare and post, this will be a great help and heads up to us new players, thanks buddy :Thumbs:
0 Kudos

Classically Trained
/16

kengo-zero

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kengo-zero
Accepted Solution
Im really pleased with this information,much thanks. Ive been getting pwnd all week and still enjoying the beta. What a game and now Ill know what Im doing.
0 Kudos

/16

TRO44_1

75%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TRO44_1
Accepted Solution
Hi I have a issue with the guide. I have sensor jammer on, but I don't see any dotted line on the mini map, nor on the main map. I have the first skill from the tree but not the others yet. What's going on?

Also is the sensor jammer useful on all maps? Or only maps with the satellite dish?
0 Kudos

/16

Centauri34

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Centauri34
Accepted Solution

The sensor jammer only prevents you from showing up in the minimap unless you get the skill to max then it hides people around you. Motion sensor shows other people in the minimap. (and if you sprint your shown on the minimap [not sure that you're shown if sensor jammer skill is on maxium] )

0 Kudos

/16

Centauri34

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Centauri34
Accepted Solution

And everything works on every map

0 Kudos

/16

quagers13

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
quagers13
Accepted Solution

TRO44_1 wrote:
Hi I have a issue with the guide. I have sensor jammer on, but I don't see any dotted line on the mini map, nor on the main map. I have the first skill from the tree but not the others yet. What's going on?

Also is the sensor jammer useful on all maps? Or only maps with the satellite dish?

I use sensor jammar as well, it works like so:

Sensor jammar with no skill will mean you will not appear on the mini map when walking. Then the more of the skill tree you unlock for it the faster you can run without appearing on the mini map. If you get all 3 levels you and those around you can sprint at top speed and will not appear on the mini map. It works on all maps, the satelite dish is there only as a feature of the maps unless your talking about sensor arrays in domination and acquisition but still they provide a different roll.

0 Kudos

/16

stano666

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stano666
Accepted Solution
Whil the ' cash ' go up if you get promoted ? What/how/when/etc. is identefy target and such ? Thank u btw this is very helpful page you made nice job. groeten stano666 :)
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

stephenc87

• Beta Tester
98%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stephenc87
Accepted Solution

stano666 wrote:
Whil the ' cash ' go up if you get promoted ? What/how/when/etc. is identefy target and such ? Thank u btw this is very helpful page you made nice job. groeten stano666 :)

What do you mean by 'cash'? The 3400 cc you have in the armoury? That doesn't change at all.

If your squad leader has set a target for you, it will show on the top left of you screen. Also, it will show on the map with a flashing blue/red box around it.
As for when to set a target when you are leader, that will come with practice. Most of the time you want to go for the bunkers or anti-air gun then the objective after that.
A frago is just the objective that the squad leader sets.
0 Kudos

/16

GILMOURSstrat

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GILMOURSstrat
Accepted Solution
Am Strugglin Killin Any1 Seems 2 Take 2 Many Shots 2 Kill Sum1 But Stil A Sick Game
0 Kudos

Playstation®Plus Subscriber
/16

J_Red_Eyez

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
J_Red_Eyez
Accepted Solution
Hey sweet guide ! One question though does the credits for what you can carry go up by leveling or respecs ? Thanks again great post !! :)
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Shadow-King

• Beta Tester
94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Shadow-King
Accepted Solution

T9X-69 this is a very very good guide for anyone, including Veteran mag beta testers who dont test all the different configurations.

U defo get Kudos for this. Maybe this cud be made into a .pdf or even a google doc file or summet to share easily.

Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cringles88
Accepted Solution
Kudos for T9X and Shadow. I'd really like this in PDF form if anyone knows how to do it.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Shadow-King

• Beta Tester
94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Shadow-King
Accepted Solution

Hey T9X-69,

I made a pdf file of the stuff you posted i hope u dont mind. I'll include the link to the hosting site i uploaded it to. there is approx. 1 minute wait before the user can download the file which is located near the bottom of the page on the right. Feel free to add the link to ur orignal post.

http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=6239511

Shadow-King

/16

blazinjayz

84%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
blazinjayz
Accepted Solution

Shadow-King wrote:

Hey T9X-69,

I made a pdf file of the stuff you posted i hope u dont mind. I'll include the link to the hosting site i uploaded it to. there is approx. 1 minute wait before the user can download the file which is located near the bottom of the page on the right. Feel free to add the link to ur orignal post.

Shadow-King

haha i just did the same thing but you beat me to thepost gg xD

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Shadow-King

• Beta Tester
94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Shadow-King
Accepted Solution

lol, thanks. I had to learn how to do it first. Thank god for the interwebz! haha.

@ T9X-69's post above

Yeh, i noticed u can only edit posts X number of times if u create it. strange

0 Kudos

/16

T9X-69

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
T9X-69
Accepted Solution

Shadow-King wrote:

Hey T9X-69,

Shadow-King

This will be really helpfull for some people good job :)
 I would add it to the first post but for some reason just on this topic it will not let me edit any of the messages :/ any suggestions?
0 Kudos

/16

blazinjayz

84%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
blazinjayz
Accepted Solution

T9X-69 wrote:

Shadow-King wrote:

Hey T9X-69,

Shadow-King

I would add it to the first post but for some reason just on this topic it will not let me edit any of the messages :/ any suggestions?

ask a mod to put it in there for you for the OP i'm sure they wouldn't mind.

0 Kudos

/16

T9X-69

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
T9X-69
Accepted Solution

blazinjayz wrote:

T9X-69 wrote:

Shadow-King wrote:

Hey T9X-69,

Shadow-King

I am the OP lol but it just says bookmark this message where the post you just qouted I can edit that just not the ones on the front page 

0 Kudos

/16

blazinjayz

84%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
blazinjayz
Accepted Solution

T9X-69 wrote:

blazinjayz wrote:

T9X-69 wrote:

Shadow-King wrote:

Hey T9X-69,

Shadow-King

I am the OP lol but it just says bookmark this message where the post you just qouted I can edit that just not the ones on the front page 

i know your the OP but when i mean OP i mean original post not poster lol.  I know it confuses people.  You can't edit a post after 30 minutes of creating it.  You gotta get a mod to do it for you.

0 Kudos

/16

T9X-69

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
T9X-69
Accepted Solution

blazinjayz wrote:

T9X-69 wrote:

blazinjayz wrote:

T9X-69 wrote:

Shadow-King wrote:

Hey T9X-69,

Shadow-King

i know your the OP but when i mean OP i mean original post not poster lol.  I know it confuses people.  You can't edit a post after 30 minutes of creating it.  You gotta get a mod to do it for you.

Oh ok I get you now hahaha Thats kinda stupid that you cant edit it after 30min but oh well I'll PM a mod and tell them to add the link. Thanks 

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel