Progress

Tactical Talk: Mob Mentality vs Skirmish Suprise

[ Edited ]
25 Replies 2,578 Views edited 08-02-2010
08 Feb 2010
By MusterBuster

My friends, I propose a debate:

Surely by now everyone has seen this video:

So. You're playing Domination and it's the inevitable grind to get past the cooling towers and the bunkers to get to the gates to reach the objectives. It's hard work, not many teams actually pull it off.

Up to yet, I've only ever seen a company attack from its starting position - that is, they advance to their default objectives and attack them. But aren't OIC's missing a trick here? Allow me to clarify:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?

Definitions of spearhead on the Web:

• someone who leads or initiates an activity (attack or campaign etc.)
  • the leading military unit in an attack

The way in which we're seeing Domination games played out currently is that there is no leading unit. Every squad and platoon is on an equal footing, each with an equal amount of defenders to fight past and an equal number of objectives to capture. I pose the idea that this is not how Domination should be fought.

Picture the scene:

The battle begins - Raven are defending. valor - attacking.Immediately, Valor neutrialise the defender's Command Network.

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta emerge from their respective bunkers and take up positions. They wait....

...and wait. Nothing.

The Command Network comes back online, Raven's OIC SCREAMS down the mic: "EVERYONE TO THE NORTH SIDE NOW! There's hundreds of them! WHERE DID THEY ALL COME FROM!!!"

Within the three minutes Raven's Command Network was down, Valor had manuevered their entire force to the north of the map, taken all four bunkers and cooling towers, and were proceeding to take A & B. The whole defense is in panic, no one knows what to do, squad members run in different directions as their values clash. Taking advantage, the attackers respawn in their default spawn points and attack the remaining objectives. Battle won.

I, my friends, pose to you the argument that attacking your default objectives constantly is an abuse of tactics. The Mob Mentality is far better than a skirmish.

Discuss.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Ew_Tux

97%
05 Rank
Progress
Ew_Tux
Accepted Solution

I was thinking exactly the same thing today, unfortunately im only a lowly SL at the moment :(

0 Kudos

Re: Tactical Talk: Mob Mentality vs Skirmish Suprise

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Playstation Staff
Community Coordinator

LordRoss

• Community Coordinator
LordRoss
Accepted Solution

I like this idea.   Makes much more sense to play more tactically like that.  Currently I seem to be rubbish at domination, hardly ever making ground.  Even when my squad take an objective, we not got enough numbers to hold it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
92%
03 Rank
Progress
reggiedavidclark
Accepted Solution

Ok... well you be in charge of that... I'll be watching from a distance :)

0 Kudos

LBP2 Level: Life http://lbp.me/v/w1t-v2

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

MusterBuster

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
MusterBuster
Accepted Solution

reggiedavidclark wrote:

Ok... well you be in charge of that... I'll be watching from a distance :)

Ah! I mentioned NOTHING about fesibility! Only that it would be better :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

T-e-X

• Award Winner
95%
05 Rank
Progress
T-e-X
Accepted Solution

agree but it has to be an angry mob tho  :P

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Poggins

74%
03 Rank
Progress
Poggins
Accepted Solution

i thought about this earlier, but i doubt the people on the south side who'd have to respawn very far away would be happy with it all, plus they'd have to run past everyone first...

so sadly it wouldn;t really work which upsets me as much as you, trust me

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

.................................................................................................................................................
stupid cause and its lack of free gifts

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Playstation Staff
Community Coordinator

LordRoss

• Community Coordinator
LordRoss
Accepted Solution

Poggins wrote:

i thought about this earlier, but i doubt the people on the south side who'd have to respawn very far away would be happy with it all, plus they'd have to run past everyone first...

Couldn't they parachute in or use helicopter? make it a bit quicker anyway

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Poggins

74%
03 Rank
Progress
Poggins
Accepted Solution

LordRoss wrote:

Poggins wrote:

Couldn't they parachute in or use helicopter? make it a bit quicker anyway

i thought you could only select the spawn points on your side of the field, though i've not tried otherwise

i'm hoping you're right though... i'll try see now....

0 Kudos

.................................................................................................................................................
stupid cause and its lack of free gifts

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

ArsenalMark

• Award Winner
95%
06 Rank
Progress
ArsenalMark
Accepted Solution

"The battle begins - Raven are defending"

The battle is lost alrwady ;)

To be honest, I reckon it would be too much work for Valor OIC to get everyone on One side, and the Raven OIC will probably get ignored and everyone on Raven will sit down for a cup of tea.

If it ever gets pulled off, I'd love to see it from an offensive POV.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

FuManchu

• Beta Tester
90%
03 Rank
Progress
FuManchu
Accepted Solution

I've yet to be in anything that mad but earlier tonight we were playing Domination and we crap load of people team up and take 4 bunkers down in about 1.30 then the towers fell in a matter of seconds and every platoon ended up at their final goal with about 4 mins gone. The game was won easy and my platoon didn't lose G or H once we had them.  Probably the best co-ordinated game I've been in loads of medics playing smart and stealing guns so we didn't need to leave the objectives.  Really want to be part of a Mad rush like that would be bloody ace.

0 Kudos

Smoke.Valor.Exterminate.Raven

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Kreisash

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Kreisash
Accepted Solution

As far as I know you can't do it easily as you can't spawn anywhere but your wing, or your APC.  Running across the map to the other side is also not an option as you tend to have angry men with guns in the way.

Unfortunately I have on many occassions thought about trying to go across to pincer attack to help a flailing ally side, but you tend to get shot by stragglers.

I did however join a pretty mental Domination game earlier whereby we had the APC, broke the roadblocks and the driver proceeded to drive around half of the map planting charges on everything  causing a touch of chaos.  Eventually our side broke into the centre first before any of the other burn off towers had been taken and then it turned into another mad fire fight in the centre once everyone else broke through.  I think we won in about 12-15 mins afterwards.

0 Kudos

In this life, you're nothing without someone else to think so.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RufustheKing

91%
04 Rank
Progress
RufustheKing
Accepted Solution

the tactic is the FC(Force Concentration) tactic example would be the Blitzreig
if you get a few clans together and they all listen to each other it can be done but if its used too much it can be open to counter attack. but the attacker can use pump fakes to stretch the defence. but until ppl listen i can't see this happening.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"I'm twelve. But I've been twelve for a long time"

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

redrebel

• Beta Tester
97%
05 Rank
Progress
redrebel
Accepted Solution

What about a slowly marching column, or conga if you will.  A line of soliders beating drums and screaming as they proceed towards you. As those at the front of the column die and respawn they could join in at the back to make a unnerving, never-ending procession of death

worked for napoleon....for a time

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

MusterBuster

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
MusterBuster
Accepted Solution

redrebel wrote:

What about a slowly marching column, or conga if you will.  A line of soliders beating drums and screaming as they proceed towards you. As those at the front of the column die and respawn they could join in at the back to make a unnerving, never-ending procession of death

You mean like the french?!

Riflemen. All you need to defeat a column is riflemen! Snipers would have a field day :D

Regardless - I now see what the problem is. You cant designate a spawn point for your squad and running across the map at the start of the game will get you butchered.

But I'd still like to explore the options of mobbing... are there any other methods of assault you can think of which would completely overwhelm the enemy?!

MB

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Bearskopff

• Beta Tester
93%
10 Rank
Progress
Bearskopff
Accepted Solution

MusterBuster wrote:

redrebel wrote:

You mean like the french?!

Riflemen. All you need to defeat a column is riflemen! Snipers would have a field day :D

Regardless - I now see what the problem is. You cant designate a spawn point for your squad and running across the map at the start of the game will get you butchered.

But I'd still like to explore the options of mobbing... are there any other methods of assault you can think of which would completely overwhelm the enemy?!

MB

Get everyone jumping and run backwards toward the enemy. Maybe the mass confusion might knock them off guard?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Playstation Staff
Community Coordinator

LordRoss

• Community Coordinator
LordRoss
Accepted Solution

The best way to defeat a column is to create a thin red (green) line!  It is then just a simple case of mathematics, the amount of people who have clear vision to shoot on one side compare to the other side.  Not forgetting discipline as well, don't want the line running away due to the scary sight of a huge column, need them to man up and stick with it.  So a mob mentality in this way, will only work against undisciplined armies.  *cough raven*  ..... I jest ;)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

MusterBuster

• Beta Tester
92%
09 Rank
Progress
MusterBuster
Accepted Solution

Bearskopff wrote:
Get everyone jumping and run backwards toward the enemy. Maybe the mass confusion might knock them off guard?

now THAT would be hillarious!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Solo_Wing_Pixy88
Accepted Solution

I f i was a defender, only problem i would have with your problem is that i would run out of ammo, serious on that, it would be D-DAY, catch ppl off gaurd but if we could hold for 1 offensive youd be good....

Ive never tried this on a large scale, but i ave got a squad or the most part of to sneak behind and attack a different front from the rear, taking out AAA 1st for the other front and bagging cooling towers in the back.

Have also skipped bunkers completely stomred across the bridge and gone straight fro the center points.
If ppl were gunned down we would repswn from the APC

Defender had no other choice but to withdraw

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

ArsenalMark

• Award Winner
95%
06 Rank
Progress
ArsenalMark
Accepted Solution

Earlier today I had all my Platoon defend a single burn off tower, the enemy could easily have the other, but while all my platoon was at the one, they had no chance, and thus couldn't advance furthur. We still lost. It being Raven, but when we did they was STILL stuck at the Burn Off Tower. Requires some co-op, but it worked xD.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
99%
13 Rank
Progress
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution

MusterBuster wrote:

MB

It can work in a platoon, but I've only seen it in the Beta so far, not the full release.

Sabotage - Platoon leader instructs all sqauds to attack 'A' first. No one is quite prepared for four squads at once. Once captured, Alpha defends A, all other squads attack B. If taken quickly enough C can be opened within 2-3 minutes.

Same thing applies on Acquisition and Domination. If a full platoon can launch an assault on the bunkers early on, they can swiftly go down as they just don't expect more than one full squad to hit them at once.

All that though requires some very good teamwork from platoon and squad leaders, down to all members of each squad. A rare occurrence though seeing as too many platoon leaders never even speak to their squad leaders at all.

0 Kudos

My flickr
Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel