08 Feb 2010
Beta Tester
Playstation Staff

Tactical Talk: Mob Mentality vs Skirmish Suprise

[ Edited ]
25 Replies 2,496 Views edited 08-02-2010

My friends, I propose a debate:

Surely by now everyone has seen this video:

So. You're playing Domination and it's the inevitable grind to get past the cooling towers and the bunkers to get to the gates to reach the objectives. It's hard work, not many teams actually pull it off.

Up to yet, I've only ever seen a company attack from its starting position - that is, they advance to their default objectives and attack them. But aren't OIC's missing a trick here? Allow me to clarify:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?

Definitions of spearhead on the Web:

• someone who leads or initiates an activity (attack or campaign etc.)
  • the leading military unit in an attack

The way in which we're seeing Domination games played out currently is that there is no leading unit. Every squad and platoon is on an equal footing, each with an equal amount of defenders to fight past and an equal number of objectives to capture. I pose the idea that this is not how Domination should be fought.

Picture the scene:

The battle begins - Raven are defending. valor - attacking.Immediately, Valor neutrialise the defender's Command Network.

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta emerge from their respective bunkers and take up positions. They wait....

...and wait. Nothing.

The Command Network comes back online, Raven's OIC SCREAMS down the mic: "EVERYONE TO THE NORTH SIDE NOW! There's hundreds of them! WHERE DID THEY ALL COME FROM!!!"

Within the three minutes Raven's Command Network was down, Valor had manuevered their entire force to the north of the map, taken all four bunkers and cooling towers, and were proceeding to take A & B. The whole defense is in panic, no one knows what to do, squad members run in different directions as their values clash. Taking advantage, the attackers respawn in their default spawn points and attack the remaining objectives. Battle won.

I, my friends, pose to you the argument that attacking your default objectives constantly is an abuse of tactics. The Mob Mentality is far better than a skirmish.

Discuss.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 26 (2,496 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: Tactical Talk: Mob Mentality vs Skirmish Suprise

I was thinking exactly the same thing today, unfortunately im only a lowly SL at the moment :smileysad:

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 26 (2,470 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Ok... well you be in charge of that... I'll be watching from a distance :smileyhappy:

LBP2 Level: Life http://lbp.me/v/w1t-v2
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 26 (2,439 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

reggiedavidclark wrote:

Ok... well you be in charge of that... I'll be watching from a distance :smileyhappy:

Ah! I mentioned NOTHING about fesibility! Only that it would be better :smileyvery-happy:

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26 (2,429 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

I like this idea.   Makes much more sense to play more tactically like that.  Currently I seem to be rubbish at domination, hardly ever making ground.  Even when my squad take an objective, we not got enough numbers to hold it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26 (2,421 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

agree but it has to be an angry mob tho  :smileytongue:

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26 (2,414 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

i thought about this earlier, but i doubt the people on the south side who'd have to respawn very far away would be happy with it all, plus they'd have to run past everyone first...

so sadly it wouldn;t really work which upsets me as much as you, trust me

.................................................................................................................................................
stupid cause and its lack of free gifts

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 26 (2,398 Views)
0 Kudos
Playstation Staff

Poggins wrote:

i thought about this earlier, but i doubt the people on the south side who'd have to respawn very far away would be happy with it all, plus they'd have to run past everyone first...

Couldn't they parachute in or use helicopter? make it a bit quicker anyway

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 26 (2,357 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Military tactics, psychology. I'm impressed, MusterBuster.
[edit] Removed tactics that may have no place in MAG, as I don't own it. :smileyindifferent: My mistake.

Martial artist. Favourite games: Shenmue 2 and Yakuza 1, 2 and 3. -in veritas libertas-
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 26 (2,354 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

LordRoss wrote:

Poggins wrote:

Couldn't they parachute in or use helicopter? make it a bit quicker anyway

i thought you could only select the spawn points on your side of the field, though i've not tried otherwise

i'm hoping you're right though... i'll try see now....

.................................................................................................................................................
stupid cause and its lack of free gifts

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26 (2,350 Views)
0 Kudos