70%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Metal Gear Solid!

17 Replies 415 Views Created 19-03-2012

Which Is your favourite? I've just finished Guns of the Patriots for the 1st time and was actually amazed by how good it was! Just bought the HD collection aswell should be delivered sometime this week, played Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater back on the PS2 but never tryed Peace Walker :D 

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Aliferous

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Aliferous
Accepted Solution

Guns of the Patriots for me. Finished it about 5 times. I loved 2, but I didn't finish it (Don't judge me :smileysad: ) and 3 just confused me for some unknown reason. 

0 Kudos

Re: Metal Gear Solid!

/16

ocelot07

96%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ocelot07
Accepted Solution

The first one for PSone.

0 Kudos

/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

Metal gear 1 is a great game but i think snake eater is by far the best in the series.

0 Kudos

/16
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Solid_Snake12345
Accepted Solution
Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid (only if we're talking about at the time the game was released, right now Peace Walker is probably the better game but Metal Gear Solid was an extremely important game, not just for the series but for gaming as a whole), Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and finally Portable Ops. All of them however I would consider absolutely excellent and my love of Metal Gear Solid 2 has grown considerably since the HD Collection was released and the story is absolutely ingenious, far ahead of it's time and increasingly relevant.

However, I would not rank the fourth at all. The story was simply a catastrophic mess of nanomachines, gigantic plot holes and fan service gone wrong. The gameplay was also much more action based than any of the previous games and the ludicrous amount of guns made shooting more viable than stealth for some bizarre reason. The settings are also rather unmemorable when compared to the previous games' and the lack of a continuous world interrupts the flow of the game. It may say tactical espionage action on the front but it definitely isn't. Finally, although I know there were story reasons for it (nanomachines) the lack of animations for the AI when shot and the lack of interrogation responses was a major step back from the previous games.
0 Kudos

/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

Love them all!!

Metal Gear Solid 3 is my favourite,still an amazing game...especially with the camera controls being much better in the Subsistance and HD versions

Still not played Peace Walker(and MG1 and MG2)despite having the HD Collection,i will get round to it at some point

I hated playing on the PSP(and i had a broken hand at the time),so i quit Port Ops half way through....i watched the long play videos of it on Youtube last month :smileyvery-happy:

I usually play The Twin Snakes on the cube when i do a run of them,some people hate it,but i find it to be great

Metal Gear Solid 4 is my second favourite,i thought they rounded off everything well,i really liked the camo suit as well,which was a kind of nod towards the camoflage of Snake Eater...the thing is,MGS4,you can play how you want,you wanna go guns blazing,you can do,you want to sneak in there,you can do...and i loved going back to Shadow Moses Island

wasn't a fan of those inbetween missions 'cutscenes' though,just seemed a bit pointless and an obvious bowdown from Kojima that people were not liking the long cutscenes,so he gave them something to do while they were happening

gonna agree with Snake above me though,i think Metal Gear Solid 2 story has grown more likeable,its still probably my least favourite but its still a great game anyhow

0 Kudos

FF14:ARR-Mancunian Metal

/16

Noxage

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Noxage
Accepted Solution

Metal Gear Solid 3, Possibly one of the greatest games ever made, its quite unique even for a Metal Gear game. I loved the gameplay and the story, the ending of it was so memorable aswell, I think I must have completed it a good 10+ times it never gets boring.

Have to order HD collection now just to have it on PS3 :D brb!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Photobucket
/16

Certinfy

99%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Certinfy
Accepted Solution
Hated the 4th game to be totally honest, just didn't feel like MGS anymore.

First 3 were great though and the first is definitely by far my fave, still remember back in the old days playing it, so long ago now...
0 Kudos

/16

SmithB14

70%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SmithB14
Accepted Solution

It's good to see everybody has there own favourite,  I loved Sons of Liberty it's the only one i've completed more than once! 

Snake Eater I only played through once but really enjoyed it.

MGS1 i'm sad to say i've never actually played it through fully (I only played it for the first time recently and after playing the more modern ones, with there better graphics and controls ect. really struggled to get to grips with it) I read up thoroughly on the plot so it wouldn't ruin my understanding of the series though! I only wish I would have played it back when the PS1 was in it's glory days.

Peace Walker, can't waite to play through it!

and Guns of the Patriots, I completely understand where youre coming from with it feeling different and not being sure about it I felt the same at first. After a while though I really got used to it and just thought it was amazing! I loved the boss fights especially the final one with all the music from older games playing in the background, great sense of nostalgia and a great way to finish it I though! :D can completely understand why some fans of the series may not have taken to it though!

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Cid_Chaos

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cid_Chaos
Accepted Solution

This one....

(Yes I know you meant on the Playstation)

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MrGarry2u

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MrGarry2u
Accepted Solution
My favourite was Metal Gear Solid aka MGS1.
0 Kudos

/16

AnthoAsho

91%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AnthoAsho
Accepted Solution
Pfft, I loved MGS2, it was the one I put the most time in!
Dunno why people hate on it
0 Kudos

/16

hilaryduff

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hilaryduff
Accepted Solution

AnthoAsho wrote:
Pfft, I loved MGS2, it was the one I put the most time in!
Dunno why people hate on it

yeah I don’t really know why people hated it, allot of people kept saying raiden was a tad bit feminine but I think he played his role really well, with the whole rose issue as a mini story. IMO I think MGS2 was the best one in the series and my favorite as kojima took a amazing game like MGS1 and only made it 100x better. And besides if it wasn’t for MGS2, MGS 3/4/psp titles would have been different or not even made! 

0 Kudos

'We're not tools of the government or anyone else! Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at, but... At least I always fought for what I believed in...'
Gray Fox / Frank Jaeger
'Find something to believe in. And find it for yourself. And when you do, pass it on to the future.'
SolidSnake
/16

feedthefishy

89%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
feedthefishy
Accepted Solution

MGS2 Sons of Liberty is my all time favourite, I use to keep a save in Shell 1 Core when you're in their uniform and just muck around for hours and hours when i was young, Always role playing and pretending to be a soldier like them, MGS2 will always be remembered.

0 Kudos

/16

Alestes

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Alestes
Accepted Solution

Metal Gear Solid 1 is absolutely amazing, easily the best game in the series as far as I'm concerned :)

Metal Gear Solid 3 is quite nice too, I recommend it.

Metal Gear Solid 2&4 are awful, avoid at all costs.

0 Kudos

All signatures sucks, especially those with images in them.
Beta Tester
/16

ytevo79

• Beta Tester
99%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ytevo79
Accepted Solution
I love them all in their own individual ways./

I've recently finished Snake Eater (for the second time on the collection) and I'm about to start Peace Walker - the only game I am yet to play but I'm a bit worried about a portable version not living up to a home console version. Still, they added duel analogue controls so it cant be that much of a step backwards. Can it?
0 Kudos

/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

ytevo79 wrote:
I love them all in their own individual ways./

I've recently finished Snake Eater (for the second time on the collection) and I'm about to start Peace Walker - the only game I am yet to play but I'm a bit worried about a portable version not living up to a home console version. Still, they added duel analogue controls so it cant be that much of a step backwards. Can it?

yeah i am worried about that as well,and the fact that its kind of 'over the shoulder' third person as well(not sure if you can change the camera),but of the first 10 minutes i have played of it,the story seems pretty interesting

no idea why you can undress that young girl in the red coat at the beginning though(PAZ?)....should I blame the Japanese for that or what? :smileyvery-happy:

0 Kudos

FF14:ARR-Mancunian Metal

/16
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Solid_Snake12345
Accepted Solution

Alestes wrote:

Metal Gear Solid 1 is absolutely amazing, easily the best game in the series as far as I'm concerned :)

Metal Gear Solid 3 is quite nice too, I recommend it.

Metal Gear Solid 2&4 are awful, avoid at all costs.

Honestly, I really can't see how you can say that MGS1 is the best but MGS2 is awful. The gameplay is almost the exact same but much smoother and much smoother and the story is a much deeper one with multiple meanings, most metaphorical, compared to MGS1's much more straight forward action movie plot.

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel