92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Solid snake or Big boss?

16 Replies 932 Views Created 06-09-2012
This question has probably been asked loads of times before, but with Ground zeroes being announced I'm curious about your answers. So, who do you prefer as the protagonist, Solid snake or Big boss? Personally, i prefer Big boss/naked snake because I prefer his back story. Solid snake is pretty awesome too though :)
0 Kudos
LABELS:

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

MrGarry2u

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MrGarry2u
Accepted Solution
Why not Snake, Boss or Raiden?

Out of those two though, I like playing as Big Boss because his games have been better. As in, 3 is better than 1, 2 and 4, but PW is better than 3. It seems to ME that the best ones are the Big Boss ones.
0 Kudos

Re: Solid snake or Big boss?

/16

mercury7891

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mercury7891
Accepted Solution
Oh yeah, I forgot about raiden.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MrGarry2u

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MrGarry2u
Accepted Solution
Well I liked playing as Raiden in 2 because we got to see how a non-badass would react to things like Giant robots, vampires and not knowing what's going on. After all, when Giant robots and flying security cameras get 'samey' and boring, it's not good. But yeah, Big Boss and the enemies in that era are better for me.
0 Kudos

/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

when i first played Snake Eater,i loved Big Boss because he was basically Snake,then he got that Eye Patch,and i swear it 'completed' him,it was like the thing Snake was missing,i don't know why but yeah..Big Boss for me

Or perhaps he just gets a step closer to Snake Plisskin 

Big Boss has a Stomach Scar that he inherited off The Boss in Peace Walker that matches Plisskins tattoo above

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
FF14:ARR-Mancunian Metal

Beta Tester
/16

MrGarry2u

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MrGarry2u
Accepted Solution
Plissken iz the shizz.
0 Kudos

/16

SolidNinjaSnake

96%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SolidNinjaSnake
Accepted Solution
Maybe I really should watch the film some time... Haha.
0 Kudos

メタルギアソリッド - Metal Gear Solid

Twitter

Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

I think I prefer NS/BB.... Solid Snake admitted himself that he isn't a tracker like BB (MGS4) so that's at least one skillset the original has over the clone... That and CQC (although they added it to the moveset in MGS4 after introducing for NS in MGS3)

I dunno, there's just something with SS.. he just comes off as extremely lucky all the time... Constantly outsmarted by Liquid/Ocelot... physically beaten by both (although somehow comes through at the end of MGS4... although you could say that with Naked Snake and The Boss) ... Fortune and Vamp even had his number in MGS2 too... That said, the Solid Snake of MGS1 was still the good guy that all video game protagonists aspired too.. :P

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

MrGarry2u wrote:

Out of those two though, I like playing as Big Boss because his games have been better. As in, 3 is better than 1, 2 and 4, but PW is better than 3. It seems to ME that the best ones are the Big Boss ones.

For me MGS3 is the best because of the setting and it had the tightest plot and characters... it was also one of the last truly great games for the PS2 before the 360 and PS3 kicked into gear, so they were able to refine and tweak what they had done to make a game better than MGS2 on a gameplay and visual level (ignoring the story here)

However I believe had MGS1 been made on the PS2, using all the visual and gameplay/interactivity improvements of MGS2 and 3 (including CQC), but keeping the Directing, story, characters, voice actors the same, then I think it would really give MGS3 a good run for it's money... The story was probably still a little bit too fluffy (nothing like MGS2 thankfully), but it was still very good, and the setting and bosses were bordering on perfect for the Solid Snake character..

MGS4... I've said it before... it was ahead of it's time in so many ways, but it was more style than substance...

PW... I've only just downloaded and started playing it, so it's hard to judge.. It's obviously quite unique in it's approach... a lot of which is because it is a pick up and play handheld game..

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

lordsynbios

• Beta Tester
89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
lordsynbios
Accepted Solution
Big Boss, looking at the progression of him as a character over all the games, what he has been through and what he has had to sacrifice for what he believes in. I don't think Snake has had to sacrifice anywhere near as much.

After MGS4 I am glad we are going back and telling more of his story, we know about it, but to experience and see it being told through his eyes.

That was a lot deeper than I expected, I miss getting this invested into a game.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

SurrealNightmare

• Beta Tester
97%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SurrealNightmare
Accepted Solution
It's time for both characters to step into the shadows so that Akiba can take up the mantle.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MrGarry2u

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MrGarry2u
Accepted Solution

lordsynbios wrote:
Big Boss, looking at the progression of him as a character over all the games, what he has been through and what he has had to sacrifice for what he believes in. I don't think Snake has had to sacrifice anywhere near as much.

After MGS4 I am glad we are going back and telling more of his story, we know about it, but to experience and see it being told through his eyes. eye.

That was a lot deeper than I expected, I miss getting this invested into a game.

:)

/16

hilaryduff

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hilaryduff
Accepted Solution
bearing in mid naked snakes life span was far greater to that of solid snake, so solidsnake didn't really have the time to learn tracking skills and such like big boss did, also i think i prefer snake better because his whole past was a mystery and that interested me to learn more about him, ironically he was a massive question mark throughout the series. Hes more of a man then big boss imo because it takes alot to discover who you are and prolong with the mission as planned.
As for mgs2 and raiden, i believe was the best game in the series and the character of raiden in my eyes was portrayed brilliantly! you come off the badass man that snake was and control a somewhat 'mortal' or 'average' man sent into the battlefield, but little did he know he was connected to the story line. other games did have emotions and touchy moments, but i believe none were shown in greater and touchy detail then that of mgs2, imo it is a absolute master class of a game, somewhat of a movie kind of, and the way it was directed (put together) should put kojima on par with some of the words best movie directors.
0 Kudos

'We're not tools of the government or anyone else! Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at, but... At least I always fought for what I believed in...'
Gray Fox / Frank Jaeger
'Find something to believe in. And find it for yourself. And when you do, pass it on to the future.'
SolidSnake
Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

hilaryduff wrote:
bearing in mid naked snakes life span was far greater to that of solid snake, so solidsnake didn't really have the time to learn tracking skills and such like big boss did, also i think i prefer snake better because his whole past was a mystery and that interested me to learn more about him, ironically he was a massive question mark throughout the series. Hes more of a man then big boss imo because it takes alot to discover who you are and prolong with the mission as planned.

How so? Snake wasn't a rookie in MGS1... I assume he is a similar age and point of life as Naked Snake in the events of Snake Eater..

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MrGarry2u

• Beta Tester
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MrGarry2u
Accepted Solution
All the protagonists found out they were just a tool at some point.
Big Boss found out he was used by Zero soon after MGS3
Solid Snake found out that he and Liquid were just clones made to be super soldiers, and then found out in MGS4 all his 'good deeds' were actually hindering the world's freedom. (He was killing the very people who were fighting the patriots)
And Raiden found out that they were trying to Mentally condition him into Snake by having him live out a very similar experience to Shadow Moses... a mission that the patriots saw as Solid Snake's defining mission as regards to his abilities needed to complete it. (The S3 plan)
So that point stays with them all really, Big Boss was good at fighting, Solid Snake was engineered to fight, and Raiden was being mentally trained to fight at the same level as those guys.
0 Kudos

/16

hilaryduff

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hilaryduff
Accepted Solution
thats why i prefer solidsnake to naked snake, yes hes a clone but theres so much more to him then meets the eye. (no pun)
0 Kudos

'We're not tools of the government or anyone else! Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at, but... At least I always fought for what I believed in...'
Gray Fox / Frank Jaeger
'Find something to believe in. And find it for yourself. And when you do, pass it on to the future.'
SolidSnake
/16

hilaryduff

85%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hilaryduff
Accepted Solution
yeah but in naked snakes time, tracking would be a important attribute, not very so for solid snakes time. that could be one factor (who knows really). and yeah snake wasn't a rookie, but every time he got sent into battle or a mission he always found something about himself out that he never knew before. thats why i said hes always been a massive question mark. with naked snake it was really just laying the foundations and getting to know him, so you can see the qualities and attributes similar to that of solid snake.
0 Kudos

Gray Fox / Frank Jaeger
SolidSnake
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel