22 May 2012
By: AngelG_No55_FTW Member 317 Posts
Level 3

Devs, read this letter!

27 Replies 797 Views Created 22-05-2012

This is a letter I wrote myself, on behalf of all of us who have passionately dedicated ourselves to this game. It may fall in deaf ears, but this is all I can do to try and get the attention of the developers.

Dear ModNation Racers developers,

You have betrayed us. Allow me to recall the story of this game in order to explain why: in its humble beginnings MNR got off to a rocky start due to loading time problems, region lock, overly hard career and a variety of other niggling issues. In spite of that many of us soldiered on and haven't given up hope on this game, thanks in part to the gradual patching of some of the most grievous issues, and the periodic arrival of new DLC. But not long after this wave of patches and DLC you started showing signs that you were going to abandon MNR, not even a year and a half after its release. Most critical among them were the ignoring of requests from many players, such as greater variety in the possible XP Series and better track editing features that turned glitches into official editor features. None of these requests were heard. Instead, some of those features were squandered on a poorly ported version of this game for a game system not everybody was willing to shell out cash for. Didn't help the fact that said port had no online play of any sort. And now, with RT being unsuccessful, not surprisingly, you devs have abandoned any sort of pretense for respect for your loyal userbase and are making no effort to hide that your current mission is to kill this game and drive off its players to LBPK. This is the point where your true intentions came to light.

You never really cared about this game and its players. At all. Instead, your sole objective was making money, hoping that this would become LBP on four wheels and thus another cash cow for Sony. The game was presumably rushed to the market for this very reason, ending up with a number of flaws (chief among them the long loading times) that soured the experience for many. The patches and DLC were nothing but false hopes that the devs cared about us. Road Trip was nothing but a desperate attempt to drum up sales of this game, which used many popularly requested features as bait to try and lure the established userbase to it. But it didn't work. And now, since it's clear that ModNation Racers will never be the next LBP, thus failing Sony's expectations, only death is in store for this game at this point.

Despite not measuring up to the expectations of it being LBP on four wheels, it has managed to conquer a niche for itself, thanks to its robust, yet intuitive creation features, and ease of sharing one's creations, as well as its unique art style, far different, less "kiddie" and closer to reality than LBP. For these reasons there have been many creators who have extensively dedicated themselves to this game's arts and crafts, pouring hour upon hour learning the ins and outs of its editors in order to faithfully represent in-game the things they love so much. Others have dedicated themselves to mastering the art of racing this game, a quest that is theoretically endless due to the potentially infinite possibilities of tracks that can be made in this game. What is the reward for the dedication of all those players that have gone through this game? Nothing but contempt, disrespect and greed, since we're nothing but cash cows to be milked dry for their money.

Really, devs? Is this how you reward the love, the passion, the dedication of the players that have been thru this game? Does the concept of player satisfaction escape you? Do you honestly think that the success of a game can only be measured in dollars at the box office? No. Managing to have a passionate, dedicated userbase is a success in and of itself, one that cannot be bought or measured in numbers. Your thoroughly uncaring, unfeeling attitude towards us, the players, is nothing short of offensive. We dedicated ourselves to mastering this game, to faithfully represent the things we loved inside it, to learn the hundreds of excellent tracks made by the aforementioned creators, we ought to get some dedication, some respect, some care. But we don't. In the eyes of the devs our sole purpose is to bring in the cash.

All is not lost, however. That wasted potential seen in Road Trip can be utilized pretty well in a true sequel to ModNation Racers. Take the PS3 game, add the features of the Vita game, rewrite the engine, add some more new features and a good chunk of a hypothetical MNR2 is already finished. To pander to the LBP players, there should be more creation elements from that series, such as the ability to choose whether you want to make a Mod or a Sackboy and the ability to make tracks based on the LBP aesthetic. This way, the established users of MNR won't be forced to to use something they dislike and it'll reel in fans of LBP.

You truly have the potential to make a difference and show us some true love. All it takes is some willpower to want change - look at us not as cash cows, but as dedicated hobbyists, who enjoy our craft immensely and would like to have some recognition for our hard work. It's gratifying, trust us.

With this letter, we sincerely hope that we can strike a chord with you, the developers, and begin getting the respect we deserve.

Sincerely,
The Few, the Proud, the Dedicated ModNation Racers player base.

Spoiler
Sorry to ask this, but if you agree with the points mentioned in this letter, please give me Kudos.

03/2011 - 08/2012. These were some memorable 17 months.
This is the end, my only friends. I'm moving on to other things, as ModNation has given me all it could give.
Please use plain text.
24 Kudos
Message 1 of 28 (797 Views)
24 Kudos
Level 3

Re: Devs, read this letter!

Well said, Angel.  Good luck in GP Finals!

C_wilson_24
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28 (781 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I did pass this on to the team.

Mark

Please use plain text.
4 Kudos
Message 3 of 28 (767 Views)
4 Kudos
Level 4

Rif.: Devs, read this letter!

Will save this letter in my laptops, this shouldn't be forgotten, never.

Retiree.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28 (759 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Rif.: Devs, read this letter!

*Tear rolls down face*
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28 (747 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

agreed

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME FANCLUB HERE !!!!
Look at my youtube vids  here!!!!!!!! LOOK AT THEM ! My vids are awesome.
Earlizd1

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28 (716 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

this kudo button doesn't allow me to give enough kudos that this deserves. I would say about >9000.

The_pwner007
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28 (698 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Funny, over a week ago I contacted UFG and wrote a shortened version of this, still no reply. UFG is trolling us... well said Angle (again lol).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28 (690 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 14

Agree with the OP of course but will it get anything done? imo - no.

Things like this are as powerful as petitions (in other words - useless).

soz & all dat.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28 (672 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Could have said it better myself. Unfortunately companies are in the business to make money so this will likely won't change a thing. :smileysad:

Rjzp24
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28 (671 Views)
0 Kudos