06 Jan 2012
Playstation Staff

Gran Turismo 5

8 Replies 244 Views Created 06-01-2012

Thinking about getting that package deal for $39.99 on Jan. 17th, but don't know if the game is worth it.  Any opinions from those who have played it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd2k4
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (244 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Gran Turismo 5

I'd say definitely, it's a hell of a deal, considering you are getting $16 worth of DLC you are essentially getting the game for $24. If you want a realistic racing experience, a game with immense replayability, and arguably the hardest racing game to plat if you seek a challenge. I remember sliding everywhere when I first played it due to not being used to braking from playing Modnation lol. I didn't play much of previous GT games but I loved this game and I still play it quite frequently.

Maverick--07--
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (230 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I highly recommend getting it, especially since you'll get the XL edition.  I've had the game for over a year now, and I'm still playing it to this day.  Every week they add a new free event to race in;  it includes everything from standard races, to time trails, and drift trials. 

GT5 has a great physics engine and, every car feels different.

Snow, rain, and night transitions are beautiful.

Occasionally they hold special events like GT Academy, or a special challenge like racing against David Coulthard (F1 Legend) live on the Top Gear Test Track.  David Coultard Challenge

4 Gran Turismo players have gone through GT Academy, and have become actual professional race car drivers.  In fact, in six days they'll be racing on the famous Bathurst track at the 24hrs of Dubai.

Online racing is fun, but you can easily get beaten if you don't have a wheel sometimes.

Photomode is also a lot of fun with its advanced camera system.  When in photomode, the cars are updated to over a million polygons, which make the cars absolutely beautiful to look at.  Here's one I took:

Kyoto - Gion.jpg

The only shortcomings are the separation between premium and standard cars.  With a premium car you get an interior detail which I still find unmatched by any other game.  But with standard cars you're left with a sort of black cut out of the interior.  Also, car sounds are a little off, especially for the ferraris.

GT5 is a game that gives you a lot for your money, and if you looking for realism then GT5 is the best way to go.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (197 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I have to tell you, the patches are ridiculous and the 10GB install isn't worth it.

But it is a good game.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (184 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Tecnoboy1 wrote:
I have to tell you, the patches are ridiculous and the 10GB install isn't worth it.

But it is a good game.

But all of the patches come on the disc, so you don't have to download any of them.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (181 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Lloyd2k4 wrote:

Thinking about getting that package deal for $39.99 on Jan. 17th, but don't know if the game is worth it.  Any opinions from those who have played it?

If you really need any more opinions, yes get it. And if you have money/like racing games a lot, consider getting a wheel too! They make the game much more fun.

I may not be the best track creator ever, but with the help from your feedback I can become better! Just download my best tracks (see below) and then follow the links below to leave your feedback. All constructive feedback is greatly appreciated!
Rally Resort - Canopy Ride - The Snake's Lair v2 - Schneevil Rally

Really random quote (try not to laugh at the randomness lol!):
lakabo wrote: I know what you smell like in real life. mark
Mark (ModNationSD) replied: que?
There are some posts by praise93 that I also laughed really hard at, but you need to know the context to find them funny.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (168 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I will say though one issue I had, is the online racing is not nearly as smooth and polished as this game, at least in my experience anyway. I've never had an issue with racing in private lobbies but the public servers were a mess. Lot of lag once the room gets about half full, mics are buggy, and numerous server issues and being unable to join rooms. This has never been an issue in private lobbies though when I've raced with friends, but it's kinda funny though, that Modnation's servers were better than Gran Turismo's for me.

Maverick--07--
1 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (162 Views)
1 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

gt5 is awesome. BUYYYYYYYYYY ITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

Deboss1997
2013 MNR Tournament!! Wooooh!!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (119 Views)
0 Kudos