10 Aug 2010
Playstation Staff

New Track - Coastal Climb

7 Replies 210 Views Created 10-08-2010

Hi guys,

I'm really pround to present my third track, Coastal Climb, set in an industrious coastal community in the midst of rapid urban development.

ModNation™ Racers.JPG

First off there's a choice of cutting right through the docks or braving the construction zone straight ahead.

ModNation™ Racers_10.JPG

Keep your eyes peeled for a hidden target to open up a cheeky shortcut through the hotel boulevard.

ModNation™ Racers_9.JPG

After jumping the unfinished highway there's an opportunity to take a perilous shortcut through a dormant volcano...

ModNation™ Racers_11.JPG

...Or play it safe and speed downhill through a quaint back village.

ModNation™ Racers_4.JPG

From here it's a speedy drift fest as you wind your way back down through the mountainous region towards the coast.

ModNation™ Racers_6.JPGOnce your back along the coast either speed along or divert to the alleyways leading to the marina for a nice bit of BIG air to finish...

ModNation™ Racers_12.JPG

This one plays well with the AI who can give you some close races and have some upredictable races techniques. All feedback extremely welcome :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (210 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: New Track - Coastal Climb

I am impressed. Very impressed. The risk/reward balance in your shortcuts are on point. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think this could've easily been a new UFG track.

Only thing, the course could've been wider but then again that's why I liked it so much. I'm also just noticing the marina path in the pics. Gotta try that route as well. Super fun track.
Whitef8ng
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (195 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

looks really nice, I love the twisty roads, they look cool, definite download when I get on

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (192 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Another thing my friends mentioned. The tunnel shortcut seems to be a little rough. The rods even hit the first person through the shortcut. Maybe swap it out with a few fire pits or the rising barricades that u have to double jump over. The fire pit may be better as it will cause the user to spend boost to shield it.
Whitef8ng
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (175 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Went back and raced it again. Yeah leave the rods they work fine. The tracks a little uneven before the tunnel where the switch activated walls are. If u hit it at a certain angle it's like hitting a wall.

And one of the bots on the "hotel boulevard" shortcut tends to get stuck on the right path preventing u from taking it properly.
Whitef8ng
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Really nice track, but I have a few complaints.

-Decorative props need to be cleaned up.  For example, you have alot of the guiding arrow signs that are on the track, mostly along the edges.  As it stands, it's easy to get caught up on them if you're too close to the walls on the turns.  Try moving those OFF the track, behind the track's walls.  Some of those are OK, like the street lamps, port-o-potty's, constructions signs, and cones, etc....because you drive right though them.

-Again with the decorative props, you have a lot of props that are floating or off the ground in some corners.  You could really clean up the track by lowering, pinning, or moving some props.  These really don't affect gameplay much, but the track would really look alot more polished if you fixed these.  

-Every time I took the shortcut with the poles I got caught up on the base of the props that lower when you activate the trigger.  I would go back into the editor and make sure they are pinned to the ground or even lower them a bit below the ground to prevent this.  I also agree somewhat with the other criticisms of the severity of the poles in that shortcut.  It feels a little too busy, maybe decreasing the amount of poles, change the timing, or alter the layout.

Saladsnackstd
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (165 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Thanks for all the replies and plays so far guys, in response to the issue with the poles in the tunnel, I deliberately put loads in there because it's quite a sizeable shortcut, if you get it right it provides a straight path through rather than dealing with all the twisty turny nonsense, so apart from the issue with them not being pinned to the ground fully (which i'll definitely check out) I don't see an issue. It should be a gamble to take the shortcut, if the blockers get you... the gamble failed :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (155 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

As an addendum I just found out via the UFG blog that this track is gonna be Saturday's Hot Lap entry :smileyhappy: Maybe best to get some practice in hey guys? :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (132 Views)
0 Kudos