05 Apr 2011
Playstation Staff

TUTORIAL - EASY ANGLES! Create your own in minutes!

[ Edited ]
28 Replies 2,020 Views edited 05-04-2011

After much poking and prodding of the track editor I believe I have found a way to successfully replicate the much maligned "tilt glitch" regularly. It's still not 100% guaranteed (what glitch is?) But I have had a VERY good success rate using this method and currently have an angled template which holds 16 unique angles. If you can't be bothered to read the rest of this and do it yourself, you can find this remixable template available from me in-game under the name "SIXTEEN ANGLES".

For those of you that do want to create your own though, read on! I must give HUGE props to Mr Dufus who really cracked the method I'm using, I've merely refined it a little and translated it into easy to follow instructions complete with visual aids.

First of all, you're going to need to create your initial angled prop. To be honest the method to get this is almost exactly the same as the method to get additional angles, so to keep things simple I'm going to follow that process instead. Only difference is it might not be necessary to re-pave the track first of all to get your first angle, in fact, it may not be necessary to re-pave for the first few, until you start getting duplicate angles thrown your way, but I did it out of procedure each time and each time I got a new and unique angle so, for my money, it makes a difference. :smileywink: Also, I've done this using the Alpine theme as the base. You may be able to use other themes to get just as good results, again, I'm not sure how much difference this can make to things.

P1030772.JPG

Start off with a simple oval. Use the Re-pave option and change about a 1/3 of your track, just extend it a little, add some extra corners etc. You'll end up with something like this:

P1030778.JPG

Go to Mod Terrain > Sculpt Anywhere. Select the Ramp 1 Height Brush from the 'Advanced Sculpt' section.

P1030773.JPG

Without making any adjustments, place a ramp bit of terrain somewhere near the edge of the map. Next, place a dynamic prop (I used the Lil' Devastator) on top of it, like so.

P1030774.JPG

Move across to the opposite end of the map and place a second dynamic prop on flat ground. Select the rectangular block from your base theme and spam it around the object. DO NOT change from the default size of this object. Easiest way I find is to create a rectangle wholly surrounding your prop. Zoom in closer and push the left stick in slowly and keep pressing X to quickly place a large number of these occupying a small area of space. When you are done you should have something that looks like this:

P1030776.JPG

Try and make sure there are as few gaps between blocks as possible. Continue to place additional blocks until there is no more room available. Next find your first dynamic prop and hover over it then press left/right on the d-pad to select the second dynamic prop covered in blocks. Make sure it is highlighted but DO NOT press X to select it. The next part is crucial and if done incorrectly, can lead to the game crashing...

P1030777.JPG

Press circle to go back to your main menu. You're going to want to select 'Test Drive' but be sure to leave some time (I'd recommend 10 seconds at least) before pressing as this is where the game is prone to crash. Providing you wait a while you should be in test drive mode as normal. Drive around for a few seconds, you should hopefully be able to spot a strangely angled prop nearby. :smileywink:

P1030779.JPG

Return to your track editor. Hopefully you now have an angled version of your dynamic prop, similar to above. You can usually see where the game has placed it but sometimes it will end up buried in the ground somehow. Move across to the other prop and press left/right on the d-pad to find it's position. Select it using X and hold triangle to raise it so it's just hovering above the ground. I then change it to another prop (in this instance the yacht from the seaside theme) as this is an easier way to see the effect of the angle you have just created.

P1030780.JPG

Voila, your first angled prop! I now move this over to the edge out of the way, ready to begin the process to create more unique angles.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE...

If you try and create another angle straight off you're likely to fail, you'll either get nothing, the same angle, or a different, un-rotatable angle that's little use to anyone. In order to allow the game to keep on creating new and unique angles for you, follow these final few "housekeeping" steps that seem to refresh the games memory and allow it to keep generating new angles for you.

P1030781.JPG

Firstly, get rid of those spammed blocks. Go to your prop menu, move across to props used, select the block and press triangle to remove them all at once. Next, manually remove the remaining dynamic prop from the map. Finally, what I think might be the most important step to enabling continuous angle generation to occur...

P1030782.JPG

Go to Edit > Mod Terrain > Terrain Cleanup and draw your marquee around this bit of raised land we put the dynamic prop on earlier. Press triangle and it is gone. Now, once this is done keep this terrain removal cursor on screen. DO NOT go to any other menu. Simply press circle then EXIT. The game will prompt you to save, which you should of course do.

To continue making additional angles re-load your saved level. The First thing you should do is re-pave the track, before following the steps as above to create new angles.

A few general rules/points to consider:

(1) The effect seems to work best when the dynamic props are placed closer to the edge of the map. By all means try moving more inward, but I think the further away from your track you place them, the more chance of success you are going to get.

(2) Don't raise the ramp terrain too high, if at all. Early on I tried raising it very high and the game crashed going into test drive mode even though I left the required amount of time beforehand. However, the height of this bit of terrain may be one of the key factors in determining the angle of your glitched props, so experimentation is encouraged.

(3) Many of the angles work differently depending on the default axis of your prop. For example, the construction pipe is unaffected by many of the angles, only those which tilt on a certain axis cause a change. Other props, such as the boats and signs, are affected by all of the angles. Depending on whether your prop is angled on just one or two axis can make a big difference. Generally speaking, tilts on one axis are more useful, especially if you want to drive on them. However, twin axis tilts can be useful for more advanced sculpting and may just give you that sought after angle you need for an elaborate character or super-structure. As with most things in MNR, experimentation is the key to see just how the different props are affected by this glitch. It can definitely lead to some very interesting results!

As I said in the beginning, this isn't 100% guaranteed but it is a very effective and time-efficient way of doing things. I got all my glitch props through about 2 hours work. If you follow these steps then I see no reason why it won't work for you as well! If it doesn't work first time try it a couple of times, getting that first angle is the hardest part. Once you are going for additional angles if the game spits out a duplicate, un-rotatable or just doesn't glitch, just EXIT, don't save and reload again. I wouldn't recommend trying more than once per load as this doesn't seem to work well and you can keep doing it and keep getting no joy until you quit back to the creation station and reload your level again.

Once you get to 9 or 10 angles the game may start spitting out duplicates of what you already have. Once this started happening I changed my dynamic prop to a Mega Jump and the angles started to change again. I think this is because the Mega Jump is on a different axis to the Lil' Devastator, or maybe the game just got bored, who knows, it worked, that's the main thing. :smileywink:

Finally, for anyone who doubted it... SIXTEEN ANGLES! :smileyvery-happy:

P1030783.JPG

Happy glitching! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29 (2,020 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: TUTORIAL - EASY ANGLES! Create your own in minutes!

Thanks for all the hard work you do!  I'm not sure how much community would be around in this game if you weren't so active.  Modnation Racers should hire you for real.

~evan
apricot-jam-IS

~Please check out my tracks.
Ice Quake Ridge, Pro_Flo Canyon Hopper, , Uptown-Downtown, A jaunt through town, Downhill Tropical Glacier, Blaster: Super Off Road, Big Dukes: Super Off Road, Space Station 41, Concrete Jungle: Team TRK, Bamboo Forest, Vanilla Lake 2, Bamboo 2: The Overgrowth, Fault Lines, Altago City, Mini Golf, Mini Golf Par(t) 2, Alien Mini Golf, Tropical Trailblazing, Enchanted Forest, Swamp Showdown (revamped) !!!!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29 (2,004 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'm leaving work early today to get some track designing in thanks to atheistsw!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29 (1,991 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Worked perfectly, thanks for posting such a helpful guide!

Industrialsavior
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29 (1,977 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

This actually explains how I got my angled prop in Ivo Industries, I had a prop surrounded by blocks, I had just used ramps to sculpt terrain, and the track had been repaved as it's a remix of Toad's Factory XD

Ivoyaridovich
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29 (1,973 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29 (1,866 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I'm currently using this glitch to try and create a Collosus Hand coming from the ground. It's kinda tough getting the right angles, but this tutorial makes it a lot easier for me. Thanks, atheistsw!

Mastrrrwabbit
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29 (1,834 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I've finally gotten my feet wet with this stuff and using this guide is working wonderfully.  Wanted to bump this in case some have missed it and give thanks for such an awesome guide!  

One quick question too - are there any side effects or risks with using angled props that anyone knows of?  I know it can cause a crash during track design but any impacts to racing such as crashes or anything?  Just want to check before I start using this stuff extensively in my formal tracks :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29 (1,617 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

MylesG wrote:

I've finally gotten my feet wet with this stuff and using this guide is working wonderfully.  Wanted to bump this in case some have missed it and give thanks for such an awesome guide!  

One quick question too - are there any side effects or risks with using angled props that anyone knows of?  I know it can cause a crash during track design but any impacts to racing such as crashes or anything?  Just want to check before I start using this stuff extensively in my formal tracks :smileyhappy:

Hey Myles, glad you find the guide useful! :smileyhappy: There are no real side effects to using the angled props as far as we can tell, I've used them a bit in some of my tracks but really people like prob_alex, IndustrialSavior, CIV_BOSS, RADBOYROB and Laidbackcat are the people to talk to as they have all used them extensively in their work. :smileywink:

But no, I don't believe there are any side effects in terms of crashing etc, just certain limitations such as if you try to drive down the side of a diagonally placed skyscraper you'll end up doing a weird floating bounce kind of thing (as seen in one of RADBOYROB's older tracks, AIRSURFING WITH THE ALIEN)!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29 (1,598 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

atheistsw wrote:

MylesG wrote:

Hey Myles, glad you find the guide useful! :smileyhappy: There are no real side effects to using the angled props as far as we can tell, I've used them a bit in some of my tracks but really people like prob_alex, IndustrialSavior, CIV_BOSS, RADBOYROB and Laidbackcat are the people to talk to as they have all used them extensively in their work. :smileywink:

But no, I don't believe there are any side effects in terms of crashing etc, just certain limitations such as if you try to drive down the side of a diagonally placed skyscraper you'll end up doing a weird floating bounce kind of thing (as seen in one of RADBOYROB's older tracks, AIRSURFING WITH THE ALIEN)!

Cool.  I've seen a few tracks where you drive horizonally across a building layed at a 90 degree angle and that seems to work - do you know if they used this glitch to get that?  I think IndustrialSavior had one like this.  Do I just need to randomly be lucky and get the 90 degree angle and then it will let me drive along it and not do weird bouncy thing?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29 (1,591 Views)
0 Kudos