17 Nov 2011
Playstation Staff

Tips and Tricks Tutorial: prob_alex

20 Replies 1,584 Views Created 17-11-2011

TUTORIAL #1 - Scenery

This is a step by step guide for beginners on how to create nice simple scenery for their track...

Step #1 - Using the terrain tool sculpture a small water pool and place rocks... (in this tutorial I only use one alpine rock, but I change the size.)

alex1.jpg

Add a few more rocks (these are the same rocks just sank in the ground and angled differently)

alex2.jpg

Now add some color using trees.  I have used one of the jungle trees 1st...

alex3.jpg

To create a more natural effect use a 2nd tree (alpine in this case) and sink it into the rock just showing the outside leaves of the tree...

alex4.jpg 

Finally add a building prop and mold the terrain slightly to get the desired effect...

alex5.jpg

TUTORIAL #2 - Advanced Buildings

Here is a rather quick tutorial to show you how to layer your buildings in a way that you create a one off looking structure

Step #1... If you want only the top part of a building showing lower them first... as shown

alex6.jpg

Next ... if you want a building higher than that of ground level put them in next, this will then remove the water left from the 1st stage but if will rise as high as the building lifted...

alex7.jpg

To remove this high ground place other buildings (I’ve used walls)  ground height this will pull all the terrain down to ground level..

alex8.jpg

Repeat this process in other places... I’ve used the bridge for further effect..  The lower bridges I used last as this pulls up the terrain removing all water from the very 1st step

alex9.jpg 

Then add as much building on ground level as you want.. The Blocks are very useful for 1 off creations.

alex10.jpg

Finally add finishing touches .. E.g. trees.. to complete the look...

alex11.jpg

Remember... always finish by using the ground floor level prop last... as this moves all terrain that is heightened or lowered to that level.

Tutorial #3 - Floating Islands

This tutorial is the most advanced I have created.. hopefully giving all you creators a few ideas for more tracks!!! I hope! The effect I’m going for is a floating island... but using the main track to guide you. Not breadcrumbs. This allows for a quicker restart once blown up. Not staying on a red screen while the game figures out where to reset you.. (sometimes in a place you get stuck) 

Step #1 - first of all lay out the road you want- has to be a wooden bridge of some sort. The best to use is desert with no side fence.  Notice all the wooden legs sticking down all the way to the floor...

alex12.jpg

Step #2 - select road style - No Reset Zone - in road styles and delete small amounts only leaving a small bit of the wooden bridge left..  If the patches of bridge left are small enough it will remove the wooden legs from underneath...

alex13.jpg

Step #3 - you then need your terrain to drive on.. I selected the desert temple floor part as it’s a large floor area. You need to set this so that the wooden bridge parts, sit just below the top of the floor... this means if you get blown up you will reset on the top of the desert floor. Place this all the way along your island

alex14.jpg

Step #4 ... Select your buildings.. I have used the desert temple parts for this section of my track... note - place highest building 1st. Notice the land rises with the buildings..

alex15.jpg 

Step #5 ...  To remove the raised land sink a building (the desert temple) as low as it possibly goes under the building you want to look 'floating'... make sure your water level has been raised to full. place as many as needed to remove all the ground from underneath.

alex16.jpg

Step #6 ... Then finish off by using rocks and plants to create the effect of a large floating island!!!  That can be driven upon and also blown up upon with no annoying resets!

alex17.jpg 

TUTORIAL #4 – Waterfall
A quick step by step on how to create a waterfall effect..

Step #1 - place the highest waterfall at the level you want it... this will cause the ground to lift up with it (which you don’t want)

alex18.jpg 

Then place the rest of the fountains underneath.. Always remember to start from the top and work downwards. This will keep bringing the ground level downwards..

alex19.jpg 

Then add large rocks around the outside covering the sides of the fountains... and where the fountains meet in the middle.. Remember not to cover the actual flow of the water.

alex20.jpg

Finally add the finishing touches.. e.g. plants trees... 

alex21.jpg

This was created quickly. Take your time is making sure that the water looks as though it is flowing naturally around and over the rocks

Tutorial #4 - Colored water

Step #1 ...  First of all you need to set it to either seaside, alpine or desert as jungle has too dark water.. I’ve used seaside here as I’m going to create an ice effect. Set out your water level and track.. Lower the track so that it is at the lowest point of safety for your kart.. (you don’t die when you go into it.)

alex22.jpg

I’ve now changed my terrain to light gravel as this most resembles snow

alex23.jpg

To create different colored water you will need to select either the Lorries or the crates.. as you can also drive on both of these props. Lower them down so they are just below the water level, but above your track level.

alex24.jpg

Fiery effect.. to get this effect use the red crate... this gives a very nice red tint to the water.

alex25.jpg 

I’ve now attempted to create a lava flow... I’ve done this by sinking the mod balloons low in to the floor so that you can just about see the tops..

alex26.jpg

Finally finish off the scenery using

alex27.jpg

This effect can look really really great used in the right way... I did throw this together just as a tutorial so it can look better. Check out my Alp du'Heuz track out to see it used in a track.

Tutorial #6 - Setting a Scene.

This is a basic tutorial for track beginners quickly showing how to set a scene for your race...  First of all find a nice landscape picture.. I use Google lol... find one you like,  here I’ve used a very basic picture just to show you..

alex28.jpg 

So to start off with I created the terrain.. mountains and lake..

alex29.jpg

Then I created the forestry look in the distance using jungle trees and alpine bushes

alex30.jpg

I then added a little bit more detail around the edges... using the plants that most suited the look of the scene... 

alex31.jpg

Finally I placed in the main features.. e.g.. Wooden plank  and boat.. and topped it off with the surrounding scenery...

alex32.jpg

This is a very very easy and quick way to create a nice scenic racing experience...

Please use plain text.
1 Kudos
Message 1 of 21 (1,584 Views)
1 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Tips and Tricks Tutorial: prob_alex

Couldn't find an ideal reaction image but I think this post is....

MUST sticky this post

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21 (1,574 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

These are all awesome - thanks alex for taking the time!

Quick tip to add - an alternative way to remove the posts under the bridge road types for those that don't know. 

1 - Lay down your main bridge path with the bridge type you want.

2 - Make a temporary branched road (you'll need to budget for this)

3 - Repave the branched road and drive it underneath the bridge - this will cause the posts to go away.  

4 - Delete your branch and the posts will still be gone.  Note that if you repave or repain the bridge they'll come back. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21 (1,568 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thank you for putting all these on 1 large page.. :smileyhappy:     would it be possible to stick at the top? the same as ath?  hopefully more newcomers would find it then..

thank you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21 (1,477 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

That "Floating Island" tutorial is very handy at times!

The "Setting A Scene" and "Advanced Buildings" tutorials could be handy for me in the nearest of futures as well!

John31269
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21 (1,469 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I agree that this post certainly merits the "stickied" status up above!  Well Done and thank you Alex!!  :Thumbs:

Patrickjames777
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21 (1,443 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

This is some pretty legit tutorials you got here! Nice work!....

Now only if there was a video on making all the angles for angled props... THAT would be just great!

The_pwner007
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21 (1,437 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Please someone sticky this, it is really well done and helpful.

I may not be the best track creator ever, but with the help from your feedback I can become better! Just download my best tracks (see below) and then follow the links below to leave your feedback. All constructive feedback is greatly appreciated!
Rally Resort - Canopy Ride - The Snake's Lair v2 - Schneevil Rally

Really random quote (try not to laugh at the randomness lol!):
lakabo wrote: I know what you smell like in real life. mark
Mark (ModNationSD) replied: que?
There are some posts by praise93 that I also laughed really hard at, but you need to know the context to find them funny.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21 (1,399 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Just boosting up.. due to the amount of level 1's  ive seen...  :smileyhappy: Hopefully they will come to the forum. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21 (1,352 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

This post is epic. I feel like my level is complete garbage after seeing what you do Alex.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21 (1,315 Views)
0 Kudos