Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Shielding Masterclass: HELP!!!

prob_alex wrote:

i have a quick solution to laggy lightning....

first time it comes at you count the seconds untill it hits you... if its 3 seconds after the beep... it is normally that amount of time throughout that specific race... 

each race varies.. but normally the timing of each lightning after the beep on THAT race is the same...

P.S   normally larger game rooms present more lag...  if its normally 4 racers  theres hardly any lag...

These are my tips.. but im sure i will be proven wrong lol. :smileyhappy:

Sounds about right. 

One boost bar is enough to block almost every weapon in the game.  For Bolt Storms it depends on the connection between the players and the height of where you are on the track.  No matter how far behind or in front you happen to be, if you are in the air you'll get hit faster than usual. As prob said, once you figure out the timing for the lightning it stays that way.  Until someone else enters or leaves the room then it may shorten or extend the delay for the lightning. Oddly enough, weapons seems to work better in casuals than in XPs. 

For level 2's you can takes wider than usual so they'll hit faster.  Weapon paths are pretty linear and they will take shortcuts depending on the terrain.  For example, the shortcut at the end of Sinkhole makes hydras cut across the mountain to the left of the shortcut hitting you way faster than normal. 

As said before, speed's a factor as well.  Hitting boost pads while being tracked by a weapon will cause you to temporarily outrun it for a few seconds.  Even tracks with huge declines can cause you to outrun weapons.  Like on Alpine Drop.  I use the look back button to check where weapons are but I'm pretty sure that's a rarity.  (Glad to see Angel does it too...lol)

Whitef8ng
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22 (188 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Missiles (Red)

Level 1: Ummm..... just listen for beeping noises and hope that the missile won't ricochet off a wall and hit you. lol

Level 2: Fairly easy to shield. Just shield right when your mod looks back. If you're at high speeds or in the middle of a jump, look back to make sure you can time it right.

Level 3: If somebody other than 2nd fires, there will be less missiles, which means you won't have to use your shield as much. If a player in 2nd fires it, just use your shield when your mod looks back. This uses up a lot of boost, so make sure to stock on some. If you're at high speeds or in a jump, look back at the level 2.

Sonic (Blue)

Level 1: There's really no way to predict this attack (unless if you get lucky). Besides, it doesn't take long to recover.

Level 2: Also easy to shield. Just make sure ALL the sonic balls have exploded before letting go of the circle button. Some can ricochet off of walls and explode later.

Level 3: Just use your shield AFTER the sonic rift gets ahead of you. You can dodge it most of the time (unless if it lags or something). Can be quite unexpecting if a player fires it next to you.

Bolt (Pink)

Level 1: Kind of like the level 1 sonic. There's really no way to predict this attack.

Level 2: Easy to dodge, but can be a problem if it hits somebody next to you (it's called a CHAIN bolt for a reason).

Level 3: This is a tricky weapon to shield against (especially online). If offline, just shield when your mod looks up. If online, just let it hit you when you first encounter it in a race. You can get a basic idea on the timing of the bolt (and it should stay consistent throughout the race). Once you get hit the first time, you can just use boost to accelerate (but save some).

Another thing you should bear in mind is the actual track. If there's alternate routes, elevation differences, or unique terrain, these could help the weapon speed up or slow down depending on what situation you're in (know the track well).

This is how I deal with power ups. Don't worry atheist, you'll develop your own strategy as you continue racing.

My Tracks in Modnation Racers:

Desert Jumps (Thread available)
Downtown Downpour (Thread available)
Jungle Gauntlet (Thread not created yet)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22 (168 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Rif.: Shielding Masterclass: HELP!!!

blackjet2000 wrote:

invisible hits.

These annoy the hell out of me. At least with a lvl 3 sonic 'instant kill' (as I now call it) or early lvl 3 at least someone fired a weapon at you. But no, with invisible hits, you just randomly die. One of these happened in a room today, I went from 5th to last (the room was 11 to 12 players I think).

On topic, I can't help you at all. Lvl 3 lightning I do what others do, expect lag and hope for the first one, and count how long it lags. For hydras... just shield when they come and hope for the best, that's what I do. If you know there is a lagging hydra bullet and you have run out of sheild, just mine your weapon and let it hit you. On some tracks hydra lag is very bad, on other tracks it never happens.

Oh, one more thing. I did something against a friend yesterday wthat was hillarious. I shielded a hydra, or so I thought, but then a lagging bullet came towards me, so I perposely ran into a purple mine on the track, which made me invinsible for the second the lagging hydra came. I won that race by about half a second, it was hillarious. The point is when a lagging hydra is coming look for another way to die. Or, alternatively, look for a boost recharge. :smileywink:

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22 (162 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

It's those chain bolts that are determined to chase you down that get me the most. :xCry:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22 (153 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Haha, thanks guys, a LOT of really great advice in this thread, had no idea that speed and elevation affected weapons so much, that explains why it's usually towards the end of the race I encounter these issues most as by lap 3 i'm usually "In The Zone" lol! :Cool:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22 (137 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I don't know how, but sometimes when someone fires a Chain Bolt at me I drop a mine (LVwhatever) and the Bolt hits the mine. 

Every time ??? posts, somewhere an English teacher cries.
Or they all cry in unison.
dode i leke punktuation
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22 (113 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

To elaborate on abc's claim about chain bolts being 'eaten' by mines,

Lv3 mines will always absorb a chain bolt or one missile from a swarm/hydra if they are placed in the middle of the track where the weapons trace.  

Lv2 and Lv1 mines can also absorb missiles and chain bolts; however, it needs to be timed just right.  The mine needs to be released from the kart within a window of about one second where the chain bolt/missile can be eaten by the mine.  The mine also still needs to be as close to the center of the track as possible to remain on the homing weapon's line.  The time where the weapon can be eaten by the lower level mines is usually about when it starts to appear red on your radar on the left side of the screen, but with lag and the speed of your own kart, this can vary somewhat.  It's something you have to get the feel for and learn on your own with practice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd2k4
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22 (108 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Lv3 mines will always absorb a chain bolt or one missile from a swarm/hydra if they are placed in the middle of the track where the weapons trace.  

In other words, don't try throwing up a mine just when the bolt is right behind you, it will cause a chain hit, so bother shielding.

Retiree.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22 (101 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Lloyd2k4 wrote:

To elaborate on abc's claim about chain bolts being 'eaten' by mines,

Lv2 and Lv1 mines can also absorb missiles and chain bolts; however, it needs to be timed just right.  The mine needs to be released from the kart within a window of about one second where the chain bolt/missile can be eaten by the mine.  The mine also still needs to be as close to the center of the track as possible to remain on the homing weapon's line.  The time where the weapon can be eaten by the lower level mines is usually about when it starts to appear red on your radar on the left side of the screen, but with lag and the speed of your own kart, this can vary somewhat.  It's something you have to get the feel for and learn on your own with practice.

Adding to this: The Lvl1 & 2 mines have to be on their "bounce" (that little bounce they do before coming to a stop) to absorb the Lvl2 weapons.  And swarms don't always get absorbed but the 1-2 missiles that do is usually helpful.  Lvl3 mines must be released before the danger imminent beeps for the Lvl 2 weapon start.  Sometimes it doesn't need to be most of the times it does.  It can also depend on the track too.

Whitef8ng
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22 (89 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

If you mine while not drifting, you'll have 95% of guarantee, regardless track, that you can succesfuly absord the lv2 with the lv3 mine. 

But i never bothered using lv1-lv2 mines for that, too risky

Retiree.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22 (66 Views)
0 Kudos