52%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

How does betting work?

12 Replies 1,652 Views Created 15-05-2011

Ok, so the PSN is finally back up and I've finally gotten a chance to try out MotorStorm:Apocalypse online. It's great fun but I don't quite understand the betting system. Is there a way to change how many chips you bet on someone or am I totally misunderstanding how this works? The way it looks, it seems like you just pick a player and it automatically chooses how many chips get bet on them. How does it work if you lose to that person? And how does it work if you beat them? I'm just trying to understand it a little more so I don't screw myself over by doing something stupid when it comes to betting.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Hot-Wire

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Hot-Wire
Accepted Solution

To my understanding...

The amount of chips to bet is shown to the right of each player. (Exp. 1500 Hot-Wire)

The player being selected for that chip value seems random to me, so the worst player in the room might be given the 1500 value or seomthing and the best racer may have only a 500 chip value.

You select who you want to bet against. 

Then during the race your objective is to defeat that person, meaning placing ahead of him or her.

If you manage to lose the race you gain no bonus chips.  You don't lose any chips as far as I know.

If you win the race you gain the chips, plus a pot bonus.

At this point you can choose to not cash in the chips for a higher multiplier towards your bonus next round (Your current amount will accrue over to the end of the next race) or cash in now.  If you lose the next race, you lose everything.

0 Kudos

Re: How does betting work?

/16

joshp18

52%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
joshp18
Accepted Solution

Oh ok! Thanks for the explenation. So if that is correct then (that certain people have higher values than others according to their form), wouldn't it just be advantageous to bet on the person with the highest chip value since you don't lose chips if you don't beat them? I mean...I guess in theory they should be HARDER to beat so it's a gamble.

It does make more sense now though so thanks for the clarification.

So let's say I bet on Hot-Wire for 1,000 chips and I beat you, my bonus pot will be at 1,000 chips. If I continue without cashing in and I have a multiplier of  x1.5 and I bet 1,000 on you again and win my bonus pot should be at 3,000 right? It takes the winnings from last time PLUS your bet in the next round and multiplies the total by your multiplier right? That's a pretty awesome betting set-up. Although I hear tales of some aweful quitters and disconnects that ruin your hotstreak. Hopefully they get that worked out.

0 Kudos

/16

ruddigator

80%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ruddigator
Accepted Solution

Josh - No it does not work like that. The multiplier is only on the bet, not the whole pot. So if you bet on someone at 1000 chips x 1.5 you get 1500 plus your pot, not x 1.5 the whole pot. The best total you can achieve is around 100k but you would be up to x5 by then so thats a lot of winning.

You never lose chips as you say. But often the top chip person is very very good. Not always, it seems to be a bit hit and miss as it is suppose to be based on the last 5 results.

0 Kudos

/16

Bankies_Bankies

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Bankies_Bankies
Accepted Solution

i remember doing a few races and the guy who had the most chips if you beat him was a rank3.I finsihed ahead of him for about 4 races and it still stays the same,so i dunno how it figures out who is best.

The betting idea is a good one,gives you something to race for if you cant make 1st.

I usually do a couple of races in a lobby before figuring out whos good.Try not to bet on someone who you have seen quit has you wont get any chips back.

0 Kudos

/16

kaa0skrisse

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kaa0skrisse
Accepted Solution

I'm pretty sure that the bet amount on your head is based on your best time on that current choosed track compared to all the other players on the lobby. Could be wrong but to me this seems the most reliable conclusion based on all the hours of playing this mind-blowing arcade racer.

I mean the time done on online multiplayer race, not singleplayer etc. timeattack, hardcore and sh*t.

0 Kudos

/16

ruddigator

80%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ruddigator
Accepted Solution

kaa0skrisse wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the bet amount on your head is based on your best time on that current choosed track compared to all the other players on the lobby. Could be wrong but to me this seems the most reliable conclusion based on all the hours of playing this mind-blowing arcade racer.

I mean the time done on online multiplayer race, not singleplayer etc. timeattack, hardcore and sh*t.

There is a post some time ago from Phenom stating that the position is based on last 5 races performance (if my memory is correct). However this does not stack up in practice. I assume there is some glitch in the way it works and that Evo will sort it out at sometime.

0 Kudos

/16

galaxy_man08

45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
galaxy_man08
Accepted Solution

Hi guys

A real daft question sorry

If you bank your winnings what then ? How do you access the winnings and what do they get used for

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

The winnings are just extra XP. If you don't press square to roll the pot on to the next race, they just get added to your XP total then and there.

0 Kudos

/16

play2often

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
play2often
Accepted Solution

are you forced to bet?  one time i decided not to bet, but when the timer ran out, my bet was somehow cast against the player my cursor was on.

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

wildheart90

88%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
wildheart90
Accepted Solution
you are forced to bet, if you dont pick anyone before the time runs out i believe you automatically select the play worth the least amount of chips
0 Kudos

/16

kaa0skrisse

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kaa0skrisse
Accepted Solution

wildhear is correct. the bet goes to the lowest automatically.

0 Kudos

/16

NigelDocker

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
NigelDocker
Accepted Solution

When you are in the lobby before the race and at the betting stage, everyone is in order of how they performed [im assuming their recent times or positions finished] recently. You haveto place a bet so its auto on the lowest one. If you place a bet for 1 race and dont press square at the end to put it in your pot [assuming you win] then you dont win any chips but just get them back as the multiplyer is at 1.0 [or you may get a little I cant remember it may go up to 1.25 in 1 race not sure] But if you bank the money then the multiplyer goes up for the next race [1.25/1.5/2.0....] and whatever your multiplyer is, at the end of the race it is timesd by the bet you placed [1,000 or w/e] [so 1,000 and a 2.0 multi= 2,000 added to your pot] the bet you placed is what is being times'd by the multiplyer and then added to your previous banked winnings in your pot.

I would say though be carfull if your planning on getting it high as when the lobby starts to go down in the number of people sometimes it can just leave you in it with you bet lol. So I always bank if the lobby is getting emtpy as i have lost quiter allot a few times.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel