Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

NFS Hot Pursuit Speed Wall Challenge

[ Edited ]
303 Replies 4,860 Views edited 06-12-2010

131470iC01FD6E602837690

Hey everyone! Welcome to the Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Speed Wall Challenge!

Every Monday I'll post a new event. It could be for either Cops or Racers and could be any event type: Hot Pursuit, Race, Time Trial, Interceptor, Rapid Response or Gauntlet. Your challenge over the following week is to post the fastest time you can for that event!

All times will be added to the Leaderboard below, and after the week is up points will be awarded to the players with the best times. These points will count towards your total score (the combined total of the latest 3 challenges). Do you have what it takes to make it to the top and stay there?

To take part, you'll need to add MVP_Fish as a friend on PSN, which will allow me to see the times you've all posted. Then simply find the event, choose a good car and try and get the fastest time! You'll have until midnight on Sunday to get your time posted. Good luck, and have fun!

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

Nuclearfish

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nuclearfish
Accepted Solution
Updated the Speedwall. Optikk is still in 1st, with pody and QuietlyWrong close behind. GREEDYJiZz has the time to beat (1:45.50) for those wanting to secure some points. ;)
0 Kudos

Re: NFS Hot Pursuit Speed Wall Challenge

Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
94%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Cool! I'm really enjoying this competition - it's adding extra playability to a great game, so thanks for organising it Nuclearfish! It's nice to have a target time to try to beat that doesn't mean missing out on unlockables or trophies if I can't get there... ;)

To those of you lower down the table hoping to improve their times over the weekend, I offer the following tactics I have gleaned from my many, many attempts just to improve my original time (all but two of which failed...) The first ones should apply equally to any offline hot pursuit when you're trying to beat the clock...

1. Aim to take out the racers from the back of the pack working forward. Due to some shameless rubber-banding, the racers at the front will be harder to catch as long as there are racers behind them. So when you're going for the fast times, you really need to take out 6th, then 5th, then 4th... Or as close to that as you can.

2. Best way to take racers down is to hit them fast when they're stationary or slow-moving. This should be obvious to anyone who'd played the game a bit... But when you're going for the best times, it's really critical that you react quickly to any nearby incidents that bring a racer to a halt. You really need to be focussed and ready to pounce. Don't worry about braking hard to get at a racer in a spin - you'll pick speed up very quickly when the cut-scene plays out, and you'll get a full boost bar for busting a miscreant.

3. Following on from this point, you'll find that there are certain points where racers are more likely to crash. Learn to anticipate crashes so you know when to be most ready to jump. Perhaps even slow down a bit in readiness for a quick kill. Along similar lines, if you're tailing a racer and you see them heading for another racer's spike strip, they're going to spin off either to the left or to the right. They never seem to go straight on, so be ready to pounce on them - back off a little if necessary, to give yourself more time to follow their spin-out.

4. Not all the racers are going to slow down for you, so try to maximise the impact damage you do when hitting them. My main tactic is to ram one of the front corners of the cop car into the side panels of the opponents - while boosting, if possible. If you can crush them against a roadside barrier at the same time, you do a lot more damage - it's possible to wreck a quick-moving undamaged racer (undamaged before you hit them, that is...) if you can really squash them into an immovable barrier - or even another vehicle. Hopefully you've realised by now that you can't damage them much by letting them hit you from behind, so brake a little if you're in danger of overtaking your target...

5. Weapon tactics are interesting. It goes without saying that you should generally activate the road block and helicopter support as soon as each one becomes available (there may be specific events where it pays to delay the road block a little to maximise its effect, but this isn't one). However try to resist the temptation to use the EMP or spikes unless you know that the vehicle you're targetting will be wrecked by the weapon. Both weapons will produce a cut-scene for any hit, even if the racer isn't wrecked - and that adds seconds to the clock during which you can't wreck anyone else, or react to collisions going on ahead. The spike strip is particularly bad, given that it will waste your time and leave the trailing vehicle even further behind you. There may be occasions when these weapons are merited even when they won't result in a bust, but this is a good rule to follow.

6. Because the game goes into cut-scene mode when you wreck a racer, you can't take out more than one at a time through impacts, so if you're given a choice of slow-moving targets, just pick one and go for it. Don't be distracted by any other potential targets or you may end up missing all of them.

7. AI racers won't ever get wrecked without your intervention. They can be damaged, but never busted. If you're nudging a racer into oncomging traffic or a roadside obstacle, you need to stay with them to complete the bust.

8. You might not be able to steer or hit things during cut-scenes, but you can activate weapons. If you bust someone at about the time a roadblock is becoming available, you can still click right on the d-pad during the cut-scene and you'll hear the 'weapon' being activated.

9. All of the weapons have three levels of effectiveness. If you haven't got them all to Level 3 yet, just complete the event a few times, making use of all four liberally, and you'll soon unlock the best versions. :)

And for this specific challenge...

- the racers often crash in the first tunnel or immediately after it. Be ready. The cop radio will usually, though not always, announce a traffic collision (or t.c.) occurring ahead. If you're me, however, you'll probably find ten tries in a row where the only one that crashes is the cop car... :|

- you'll get almost no advantage, at the very beginning of the race, from using your boost. Leave it to accumulate until you've almost caught up with 6th place and it will be much more useful to you.

- stick, as much as possible to the right-hand-side of the freeway. Time and again I've inadvertently found myself on the left side of the freeway while several racers mill about upside-down on the other side of a concrete barrier and there's nothing more frustrating, so try to minimise the time you spend on the wrong side of the road. There's no point taking the long way round to get to them because they'll vanish and reset before you get there... Some of the racers will occasionally take a route over the flyover but they'll soon rejoin you, so concentrate on the ones on the freeway.

- learn where you are when the helicopter and road block support become available so you don't even need to glance down to the bottom-left to determine whether they're available. Road-block will be available before you reach the far end of the first tunnel, helicopter somewhat after the first tunnel exit.

Good luck :)

/16

mortalgod

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mortalgod
Accepted Solution

i believe that specific challenge requires more luck than skills...

my brother played that stage on his 360  yesterday and he got 1.15.45 in the first try!!!!

when he told me his time i didnt believe him but then i saw it...he told that he had busted 3 racers before exiting the tunnel because of a traffic crash!!!

I, on the other hand i'm out of luck...:Cry:

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
94%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

There is a significant luck factor, but you still need polished skill to make the most of your luck.

mortalgod wrote:

he told that he had busted 3 racers before exiting the tunnel because of a traffic crash!!!

My god, is he playing the same game? I've seen three racers crash in the tunnel, but after busting one, a cut scene plays out and the next thing I know my car is speeding out of the tunnel with the other two racers reset and speeding along behind me. I don't see how it's even remotely possible to bust three. Unless there's a secret hidden option to switch off the cut scenes.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
94%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Oh, and if you need proof that luck doesn't play that big a role (when compared with other events) notice that five of the top six cops on the leaderboard (as it stands right at the moment) are five of the top six in the league table after the first two events)...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

pody

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pody
Accepted Solution

Aight, please don't beat this guys. 1.12.61. Im kinda tired after over a hundred restarts. Especially you optikk :Sniper: , don't you dare!!

0 Kudos

/16

AIKSINDIA

44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AIKSINDIA
Accepted Solution

which event..??!!! i wanna give it a try :Evil:

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

optikk

• Beta Tester
72%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
optikk
Accepted Solution

pody wrote:

Aight, please don't beat this guys. 1.12.61. Im kinda tired after over a hundred restarts. Especially you optikk :Sniper: , don't you dare!!

*switches on ps3* :Mad:

edit: you are lucky i can't sign into autolog

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
/16

pody

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pody
Accepted Solution

Awe, that's such a shame....... :Cry:

*switches off ps3*

:Winner: :King:

0 Kudos

/16

AIKSINDIA

44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AIKSINDIA
Accepted Solution

i agree ..sometimes luck makes u winner in nfshp2010........but also skilled people are able to control this luck factor. haven't u guys noticed that traffic almost appears at same locations especially while playing offline.....so practising may make time events easier...

0 Kudos

/16

Alf13W4llac3

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Alf13W4llac3
Accepted Solution

I'll end my 3rd attempt with a comfortable 1:27:something.

0 Kudos

/16

Rossinho

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rossinho
Accepted Solution

Oh dear Pody - You are going to hate me! :D 

Consider it revenge for beating all my other scores!

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

SolidNinjaSnake

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SolidNinjaSnake
Accepted Solution
I know I did this last week, but I'm finally going to give it another go.
At least I'm warning you all this time. =)
0 Kudos

メタルギアソリッド - Metal Gear Solid

Twitter

/16

SolidNinjaSnake

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SolidNinjaSnake
Accepted Solution

Well er... Yeah...

You don't know how much I was just going to give up, I was even planning in my head what I was going to say on here. XD

One of them was about this odd glitch, surely it's happened to a few of you while playing.

Where someone will hit for example your road block, you go smashing into them and they don't get busted? Instead it just spins you out?

So yeah, not very helpful.

But yes, I did finally beat my time but don't worry 1st place, not near yours. ;)

But to those I did beat, sorry if you feel I am taking a "cheap" way out, that is not the case.

I was even planning to say that I wish I had more time this week because I know I can beat my time.

So yeah, my time is: 1:18:12.

0 Kudos

Twitter

/16

pody

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pody
Accepted Solution

Are you serious Rossinho??!  How the f did you get any better than mine? That's what i can't fgure out, you had to have got like 2-3 speeders in a row. Please god don't say its the same, 1.12 something :P

And your right. I will most likely hate you.  :xEvil: SNS did it to me last week right before deadline, got really ***** then. But that was third, this is first! :Samurai: 

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Nuclearfish

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nuclearfish
Accepted Solution

*hands pody the tissues*

Congrats to the winner, Rossinho, with a time of 1:12.14! I'd run if I were you. Far far away. I'll hold pody off for as long as I can...

In other news, pody finishes in second place with a still awesome time of 1:12.61, with optikk taking 3rd with 1:14.13. KitKatGuy gets the last point with a time of 1:31.29. SCOTT-187-PALMER takes the "I don't care if it's time for bed, I must... keep... playing!!" award, with an incredible 252 attempts! Well done to everyone and thanks as always for taking part, it's been a fun challenge!

So, how does all this affect the leaderboard? Well, SolidNinjaSnake remains at the top by 2 points over pody (*hands over more tissues*), making him the overall winner after the first three events! The results of the 4th challenge will be replacing those from the first challenge, so if pody or gtaman beat SNS, they'll take over the lead. Exciting!

Remember that the leaderboard is visible in the first post by clicking on the 'Leaderboard' tab at the bottom.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Rossinho

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rossinho
Accepted Solution

Nuclearfish wrote:

*hands pody the tissues*

Congrats to the winner, Rossinho, with a time of 1:12.14! I'd run if I were you. Far far away. I'll hold pody off for as long as I can...

Thanks for that fish! Now I'm at a safe locale I hope I can decipher if there's any method behind the madness of the time. 

Try to wait until the very last day,and if possible late on while your pressed for time before you tackle the speedrun.

First attempt: Get a decent time of around 2.04 seconds, not good enough to win any points but its a nice starting point to build upon. 

Second through to Umpteenth attempt: Prove the "Beginners luck" theorem by utterly failing to get anywhere near your first attempt. Tip: Throw controller around a bit to teach it who's boss! 

Last attempt: Here's the key part, make sure this is your last conceivable chance to break into the leaderboard, preferably this should be at least your 7th 'last go ever' so that whomever is waiting on you to go is shouting obscenities, It means they love you. Now, feel the anger coursing through your veins? Try and direct that towards the track by unleashing all your attacks at once. Once that fails, just hope your helicopter nails someone, your road block causes a crash on the scale of a small nation and that the drivers are conveniently drunk. Now see that last driver up in front? That guy dun took yer jawb. Get him.

Nope, just luck then :smileyindifferent:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Photobucket
/16

pody

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
pody
Accepted Solution

Well, well, I got robbed again. :xCry: *takes the tissues*

But atleast I got a good laugh out of you guys! hehe ;D 

And Rossinho.... in the words of Antoine Dodson; Hide yo kids, hide yo wife. Im gon FIND YOU!! :Mad:

......Or we could just have a interceptor race, and I can deal out my frustrations that way. Your choice.

/16

SolidNinjaSnake

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SolidNinjaSnake
Accepted Solution

Nuclearfish wrote:

So, how does all this affect the leaderboard? Well, SolidNinjaSnake remains at the top by 2 points over pody (*hands over more tissues*), making him the overall winner after the first three events! The results of the 4th challenge will be replacing those from the first challenge, so if pody or gtaman beat SNS, they'll take over the lead. Exciting!

Why is it replacing them? =\

Isn't it easier to just keep adding. XD

0 Kudos

Twitter

/16
84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SCOTT-187-PALMER
Accepted Solution

SolidNinjaSnake wrote:

Nuclearfish wrote:

Why is it replacing them? =\

Isn't it easier to just keep adding. XD

I think its so if/when new players join they stand a chance of winning instead of giving someone a 100 point start imo

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Nuclearfish

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Nuclearfish
Accepted Solution

@SCOTT - Exactly.

Anyway, here's all the times from the last challenge:

140060i9BA7882475C56719

Challenge 4 - The Ultimate Road Car

The fourth challenge has begun! After a couple of cop events we're back to racers, this time doing a time trial on one of the greatest roads in one of the greatest cars in what very well may be one of the greatest events - the McLaren F1 on Eagle Crest Road! Drfiting round the tight hairpins is going to be the key to setting a good time here, and of course timing your boost for the uphill sections.

The first post has been updated will all the details, and the speedwall is filled in with all of your previous best times. It's already looking close up the top, with mortalgod currently 1st with a time of 3:02.11. I wonder if we'll see anyone get down under 3 minutes...

Good luck!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel