13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

A Guide to the PS Store

[ Edited ]
44 Replies 4,734 Views edited 04-01-2011

The Playstation Store is a great source of new games. Here's how to use it.

Know the basics.

The store contains several types of game (as well as media like themes, music and trailers):

PS3 games - mostly these are smaller games that can only be purchased from the store, but there is a small but increasing number of downloadable copies of full price games that can also be found on disc in high street shops. In the latter case, however, you can usually find the disc versions cheaper that the downloadable version, so beware.

PSP games - there are some games that are only available for download and there are also many digital copies of UMD games. PSP Go owners, whose console does not have a UMD mechanism, are wholly reliant on the store for their games, so are generally very disappointed to find that not all UMD games get a downloadable release. Of particular note are the 'PSP Essentials' many of which are by no menas essential, but they were originally full price releases and are all available for about £8.

PS One Classics - the word 'Classics' here apparently used incorrectly in the sense of 'old', these are a selection of Playstation One games that have been republished here. All of these antique games can be played on both PS3 and PSP. Some really are much-loved classics. Some are... not...

Minis - this is a relatively new label for small (cheap) games that are made primarily for PSP, but made so that the vast majority of them also work on PS3.

PSplus.pngWhat's this 'Playstation Plus'?

Sony offers a subscription-based service which provides subscribers with access to free games, exclusive discounts and more. You'll see the Plus icon associated with special offers and prices that Plus members can get. If the item in question is available for all users, you'll see one price for everyone and the reduced price for the Plus members. More details here.

Money. Before you can buy anything from the store, you have to add funds to your 'wallet'. You can do this beforehand or at the point of purchase. There are two main ways of doing this - either with a credit card or a Playstation Network Card. If you have a credit card, you can add money (a minimum of £5 is applied) just by entering your credit card details as you would for any other online purchase. This is done through a secure server connection. If you don't have a credit card, you can buy PS Network cards from most games retailers, with a value of £20 or £50. These provide a unique code that you enter into the store and it will top up your wallet with that value.

If, after your purchase, there is cash left in your wallet, this will stick around for two years (if you don't use it again in that time, that is), so there's no need to use it all up in one go.

PSP owners get their own store. All PSP games can be found on the PS3 store, from where they can be purchased, downloaded and transferred to a PSP. There is also a PSP store available from the PSP itself, which only contains the PSP compatible material. PSP owners can also use a PC to use their store, by installing and using Sony's MediaGo program.

Do your research. People often ask 'Which game should I buy?'. Here's how to find out:

Find a list of games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Store_games - note that each country's store will have its own list of games. Not all games are available in all territories.

Look up review scores on line. Here are a couple of sites that aggregate review scores from multiple sites and publications - including links to the reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/games

http://www.gamerankings.com/

Search for lists of the best games - there are such lists on gaming sites like CVG, IGN and gamepro (though bear in mind, once again, that some of these may not be available for download in your region). There are also, regularly, threads in these forums in which people ask for recommendations: like this, this and this. Learn how to use a search engine...

If you are going to post a message to a forum, asking for recommendations, please please please give a list of the sorts of games you enjoy - either titles or genres - to give the helpful forum contributers something to work with.

Try before you buy.

The Playstation Store has a long list of demos and trial versions of games - covering both the big triple-A retailblockbusters down to little store-exclusive puzzle games. And they're all completely free! Roughly 200 PS3 games and 50 PSP games to try - even if you're skint, there are many hours of entertainment just trying them all out.

You can find a regularly-updated list of demos and trial versions here!

Keep up to date.

Every week, all new additions to the store are covered in the Playstation blog, and this list is also reflected in this regular forum post.

Don't mess up...

Time and again, people make the same mistakes with store content. Here are some pointers that will help you steer clear of the problems that plague the hasty or ill-informed...

Not all minis work on PS3. Read the text associated with the game description if you're not sure. For example, the Tetris mini does not work on the PS3. (There is a different Tetris game available for PS3 owners.) All minis do work on PSP.

PSP games only work on the PSP. The PS3 is not able to play PSP games at all. There are a small number of games on the store that have both PS3 and PSP versions (such as LittleBigPlanet) so make sure you're buying the right one. Likewise extras and add-on content.

Trial versions... Some games are available as 'Trial and Unlock' versions. In these cases, you will find two files - one the free 'Trial', the other the 'Unlock' code, that you have to pay for. The Unlock file is usually a very small file - a key, if you like - that does not do anything on its own, but which 'unlocks' the trial version to give you access to the full game. You need to download both the trial version and the unlock key to get the full game. If you only download the key, don't expect to be able to see or play the game... Don't post a message here saying 'I bought this game and I can't find it in my Games list', just go and find the trial version.

Downloadable extras are region-specific. Often requiring a small payment, you can find extra levels, missions, characters, tracks or other content for your favourite games. However such extras are region-specific. So if you have imported the US version of a game, the content on the European store will not work. I can't stress this enough. If in doubt, read the text associated with the content you're about to buy - it will usually specify a disc ID (e.g. BLES12345) - this needs to match the number written on the spine of the game box.

Where did it go? You've bought something from the store in the past and now it's gone? This can sometimes happen if content is withdrawn. But any content you have previously purchased should still appear in your list of downloads, so look for it there. (It's one of the buttons at the top of the store.)

Some final download tips - if you buy a game, or some extra add-on content, or you are asked to update your game to a new version, things occasionally go wrong with the download. When this happens, you may get an error message and the game will fail to run.

Before you post a message here to demand an explanation, try downloading it again. Often, people find it useful to click the 'Download in background' button when buying stuff, but if you get an error with a download, it's recommended that you don't click this option when you re-try it.

With new versions, there is also a trick to the timing. A message will come up on the screen saying that a new version of your game has been found, and inviting you to download that new version. When this happens, wait a moment. Check the hard-drive light on your PS3. If it's still flashing, hold back and wait. Many problems can be prevented if you wait for that light to stop flickering before selecting to download the new version.

LABELS:
-------
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

BerrySenpai90

58%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BerrySenpai90
Accepted Solution

The PSN Store should have more PS2 games and PS2 import because the selection is too low.

0 Kudos

Re: An Expert Uses The PS Store

/16

Wasifwk

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Wasifwk
Accepted Solution
So what if ur downloading Uncharted 2 its a 50 gig game can we turn off the system and continue it l8r
Im pretty sure u cnt jus askin
0 Kudos

Re: A Guide to the PS Store

MVP
/16

QuietlyWrong

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

I don't think Uncharted 2 is available for download on the store. But if it were, yes, you could part-download it, switch off and continue later. Better still, if you switch off the PS3 through the 'off' option in the XMB, it will offer you the choice of switching off automatically once all downloads had been completed.

0 Kudos

-------
/16

RagingDonkey117

61%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RagingDonkey117
Accepted Solution

Why are people worried about the name of the thread?

I knew what it meant, you bunch of Nerfherders!

0 Kudos

BF3 Stats

Freeze!
MVP
/16

QuietlyWrong

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

The original thread title was 'An Expert uses the PS Store'. As is obvious from the first replies. The change of name probably does make for a better - well, less idiosyncratic - subject for a long-term stickied thread.

0 Kudos

-------
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

RagingDonkey117 wrote:

Why are people worried about the name of the thread?

I knew what it meant, you bunch of Nerfherders!

Job done then :)

I bet you just wanted to squeeze "nerfherders" into a post lol.

Is it a reference to Star Wars or the band that did the Buffy: The Vampire Slayer theme?

0 Kudos

/16

RagingDonkey117

61%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RagingDonkey117
Accepted Solution

It's even more sad than that.

See Family Guy's "Something, Something, Something, Dark Side".

Hilarious what!

And yes, I just wanted to say "Nerfherder".

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
BF3 Stats

Freeze!
/16

shaneyoung13

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shaneyoung13
Accepted Solution

Hey, just bought the L.A Noir DLC "L.A Noire Rockstar Pass" and when I press download it says no content found and I have just spent money to buy it! If you can help me out great if not can you please explain how I find the complaint section or anyway to get in touch with playstation soon!! Really not happy with this! 

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

QuietlyWrong

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

You'd have been better off creating a new forum thread for this question. As it is... I don't know much about the DLC in question, but it entitles you to download various other DLC for free, including (if I've got this right) stuff that hasn't been released yet... Have you looked at the other LA Noire DLC stuff to see if the store wants you to pay for it? What about from within the game itself - is it possible to access the DLC stuff from there?

0 Kudos

-------
/16

penance9

33%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
penance9
Accepted Solution
Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked before (which it probably has) but I just wanted to know (as a bottom line) if it's safe to use credit cards or debit cards to purchase anything from the store? I'm asking this because I've had to commit my time to other stuff such as work and a friend I asked still hasn't any idea about it so I though I'd ask on her behalf as well as mine! I only want to put a small amount of money in my store wallet

Many thanks!!
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
yes its safe but if u r uneasy u can always go and buy a psn network card although u said u wanted to put a small amount on,its still an option if u dont like the idea of credit-debit cards
0 Kudos

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
/16

LIVHO11

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LIVHO11
Accepted Solution

Hello fellows!! 

I come from Greece and I would like to ask some questions whose answers I find it difficult to find in this site. What happens after I have purchased a game from PS Store? Where does it appear? Do I need to use the Internet in order to play the game? (after I have of course bought it) 

Many thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm looking forward to an early reply cause Assassin's Creed cannot wait!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
MVP
/16

QuietlyWrong

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

LIVHO11 wrote:

I come from Greece and I would like to ask some questions whose answers I find it difficult to find in this site. What happens after I have purchased a game from PS Store? Where does it appear? Do I need to use the Internet in order to play the game? (after I have of course bought it)

Erm, it's pretty straightforward really.

Try downloading a free demo first and you'll soon see how it works. You can add a demo to your shopping cart and then check out; when you approve the 'purchase' you get taken to a screen where you can start the download. If you don't download it here, you can always come back later and go to the 'downloads' button on the store which will list all your purchases, ready to download again.

Once downloaded, you find the game in the Games section of the XMB (PS3 menus). Just click X to start it. If you chose to 'download in background', the game will have to install first, but other than that it's no different.

0 Kudos

-------
/16

LIVHO11

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LIVHO11
Accepted Solution

QuietlyWrong wrote:

LIVHO11 wrote:

Erm, it's pretty straightforward really.

Try downloading a free demo first and you'll soon see how it works. You can add a demo to your shopping cart and then check out; when you approve the 'purchase' you get taken to a screen where you can start the download. If you don't download it here, you can always come back later and go to the 'downloads' button on the store which will list all your purchases, ready to download again.

Once downloaded, you find the game in the Games section of the XMB (PS3 menus). Just click X to start it. If you chose to 'download in background', the game will have to install first, but other than that it's no different.

Thanks a lot buddy!! Your piece of information was very helpful and I will absolutely proceed to my first purchase really quickly!! Something else I would like to ask, do you know anything about the Assassin's Creed Revelations upload to the PlayStation Store? Does it take a lot time actually for a new game to be uploaded?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Frag-O-Matic

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Frag-O-Matic
Accepted Solution

I just brought warhammer 40k from the playstation store and instead of adding the online pass in to the services list or sending a email with a code, you have to buy it separate. really!? that is just sutpid, as buying from the store is the same as buying new from a shop. i'm really not happy about that!

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

QuietlyWrong

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Frag-O-Matic wrote:

I just bought warhammer 40k from the playstation store and instead of adding the online pass in to the services list or sending a email with a code, you have to buy it separate. really!?

Really? I've never heard of an online game on the store coming without the online pass built in. If you've got that problem, I suggest you take it up with customer services. You might want to make sure you didn't get the pass among your download list and that online play is denied to you before you ring them though.

0 Kudos

-------
/16

Frag-O-Matic

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Frag-O-Matic
Accepted Solution

it's not in my download list. the online pass for the game lets you go past level 5 and get more perks on the multiplayer so i just tried it and i can't go to level 6 so i didn't get the online pass, i don't know the customer service number or how to contact them.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Have you checked the online pass on the store to see if you can download it free?

0 Kudos

/16

Frag-O-Matic

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Frag-O-Matic
Accepted Solution
i can't! it still wants me to pay for it.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Last thing I can suggest is to check the email account tied to your PSN account and see if a code was emailed to you. Beyond that I guess you'll need to phone customer services...I would certainly expect to be buying the full game if I bought the downloadable version.

0 Kudos

/16

henkkax93

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
henkkax93
Accepted Solution

Hi!

I bought GTA IV: The lost and the damned & The Ballad of Gay Tony bundle pack and after downloading I installed them of course. After installing, the game icons disappeared from the XMB. Then I started to play IV, and there was a chance to start playing The Ballad of Gay Tony. I started to play but I couldnt find where I could start playing The lost and the Damned? Or how can I start playing the normal IV ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel