Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Please give us feedback on Coconut Dodge

[ Edited ]
56 Replies 1,176 Views edited 28-06-2010

Hello there!

We've recently just updated Coconut Dodge and it's getting some really good reviews, as you can see here: http://www.coconutdodge.co.uk/press.php?page=press

We've also had loads of great coverage at IGN, Kotaku and I wrote a series of articles on PlayStation Blog

I would like to ask for your feedback on what you think about the game. The look of it, the name of it, the price etc.

Whether you knew it was even available on the store or that minis work on PS3 as well as PSP?

It would really help us understand what you guys like/dislike, so please respond.

Thanks in advance, and in return for your help, if anyone would like any advice on how to get into the games industry, I'm your man :)

Thanks and hope to hear your feedback!

James

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

recurv

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
recurv
Accepted Solution
Hiya,

Thanks for the feedback and your perception of minis. With minis we are attepting to reverse the reputation, and it is hard work.

However, Coconut Dodge has now been rated as one of the top PSP games ever by Metacritic (No. 25 all time best scores)

Hopefully we can use this to raise awareness of the game.

Thanks again,

James
0 Kudos

Re: Please give us feedback on Coconut Dodge

/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

recurv wrote:
Hiya,

Thanks for the feedback and your perception of minis. With minis we are attepting to reverse the reputation, and it is hard work.

James,

i hate to say it but have you stopped to wonder why ?

i also checked out futurlabs'  website and YOU GUYS are flash game creator's and what YOU have done is to bring a flash game onto the psp as a mini :/  thats EXACTLY what people hate about mini's. 

why would i want to pay £2.49 for a flash based game when i can play the plethora of higher quality content flash games on the tinterweb in the first place.  why would i want to upset my psp by playing a flash game on it !! the psp plays tennis with catgut strings old school style. it gets medieval on ps1 classics. it sinks your battleship ***** !!

cheap casual flash style games are having great success on the weird phenomenon that are guyphones. but its aPHONE !!! casual games on the loo is what the guyphone is good at but the psp is massivly underachieving with mini's and on a ps3 . . ***** no (sorry for the swear)

i do think its superb that the minis are bring new developers to the psp and giving you guys a small finger in the pudding bowl and i really do wish that you get a taste of what the psp can do.  i know and appreciate the budget constraints and you guys have done the best thing in making sure the game you developed was a good quality game but it was still a flash style game. 

the psp is a powerhouse. i dont have a guyphone and never want one but (apart from tilt) the psp would run everyone of their casual games.  consider that the psp will run a ps1 classic without breaking a sweat. 

PERSONALLY what you did with coconut dodge doesnt reverse the reputation; it pretty much cemented it and wrote your name in yellow snow all over it.   what you DID show is that mini's can be sooo much better and you HAVE pushed the quality bar much higher.

minis' for the psp are what psn games are for the ps3.  look at the better quality psn titles such as fat princess.  they have pushed the bar up in the same way but they are still only casual games but they can be awesome in their own right. Again, thats what you done with coconut dodge  . . you raised the bar but its still just a mini.

ive noticed in this thread you have avoided discussion on minis but as a mini developer you must see them for what they are.

PSP :  mini < ps1 classic <  psp title

PS3 :  ps1 classic < psn title < ps3 game

i have no idea what classifies a mini but the feeling i get from other forum folks and other psp owners is that minis were supposed to combat mobile causal gaming BUT be actual "mini" games not flash that i can get for free on the web or better on a guyphone :/

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

recurv

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
recurv
Accepted Solution

@Sackboypsn

Hi there,

Totally appreciate your comments there, really. In all honesty Coconut Dodge was all we could do at the time as we didn't have any money to spend, and it was frustrating. 

Which is why we're now back with a much bigger and cooler game, Velocity :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Mightyowl28

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mightyowl28
Accepted Solution

just so you know, I still give Coconut Dodge the odd few minute play now and again, so for me its stood the (relitivly small) test of time. 

And I'll definitly check out your new game on release if only to support you guys.

Although I am rather put off minis in whole thanks to sony and their minis pick and mix bundle c**k up, but I wont hold that against you

**LONG LIVE THE PSP**

0 Kudos

/16

recurv

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
recurv
Accepted Solution

:)

That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know!

We're still in the process of submission to Sony with Velocity, but hopefully it'll be sorted soon...

Thanks again for the words of support :)

0 Kudos

/16

Mightyowl28

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mightyowl28
Accepted Solution

just noticed its free on plus so a 100% download for me..

but can I ask how you come to the decision to allow it for free download on PS+, do sony offer any incentive for this? do you get paid per download?

thanks for any response you give

0 Kudos

/16

recurv

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
recurv
Accepted Solution

Sony do provide an incentive yes - a standard payment. This actually helped us to finish the game, so it's been a trade-off for us - we may not see anything like the sales we would have had if we'd remained outside of PS+, but we wouldn't have been able to finish the game :p

Hopefully the fact it's on PS+ will mean lots and lots of people will play it, and then word will spread that it is great (which it most certainly is!), and we'll be able to make a sequel or HD version for Vita.

That is our hope...

0 Kudos

/16

Mightyowl28

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mightyowl28
Accepted Solution

not sure if this is something you would have considered, but, I personally would have rather seen the game heavily discounted for plus members than given away free, that way the game is still mine if I ever choose not to renew my plus subscription..

0 Kudos

/16

recurv

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
recurv
Accepted Solution

Interesting... No we didn't consider that as an option. I think perhaps that would have meant less money for us, which we sorely needed. Every penny has gone into making the game as good as possible. We're very proud of it, so hopefully if you do decide to cancel your subscription, you can buy it to keep the love flowing in our direction :)

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Mightyowl28

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mightyowl28
Accepted Solution

perhaps you could try and get some sort of promotion on Coconut dodge before launch to maybe generate a little interest in your new title, also, have you ever come across this website http://www.pspminis.com/ they may be able to help you if you havnt

0 Kudos

/16

recurv

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
recurv
Accepted Solution
Hey, that's a pretty good idea, and thanks for the link. We do know PSPminis.com - we're posting on there regularly - a lot of the people on that forum suggested things for Velocity which we ended up including in the game: http://www.pspminis.com/forums/topic/suggestions-for-futurlab-shoot-em-up
0 Kudos

/16

Mightyowl28

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Mightyowl28
Accepted Solution

wish i'd seen that thread..

my main input back then would have been to not make the game too hard, which from experience these kind of games can be!

0 Kudos

/16

recurv

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
recurv
Accepted Solution
If you check out this preview, you'll see that the game has an 'almost perfect' difficulty curve. We put a lot of effort into the level progression curve: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/02/09/exclusive-velocity-hands-on/

Also an interview that goes into more detail: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/02/interview_futurlab_velocity

Let us know what you think of those if you get a chance to read!
0 Kudos

/16

Sackboypsn

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sackboypsn
Accepted Solution

trubadman wrote:

recurv/James!

Welcome to the PlayStation Forums, I admire your braveness in asking for feedback and responding to gamers thoughts.

I did hear about your game through the PlayStation blog a few weeks ago but didn't contemplate a purchase due to the fact that it was a mini.  When minis were first announced, I was quite excited until I realised how small they were and it kind of put me off.  Unfortunately for me and many other gamers, the word mini quickly became synonymous with 'small game don't buy' and I think that's why a lot of PlayStation users don't even think about purchasing them.  I myself have 6 minis on my HDD, 5 I got free with FirstPlay and 1 I got with my PS+ subscription and i haven't even loaded a single one up.

I don't know whether minis would have been more successful if they were released earlier in the PSP's life cycle.  After all, the PSP is now in it's 5th year and is probably used much less due to this and also due to lack of support.  I think the unappealing thing about minis is the lack of depth, trophies & for some people no online (though, I don't think this is a major issue, since many PSN games don't have an online aspect.)  Cost is not an issue for minis, I'm sure that even if they were sold for 50p, that wouldn't encourage downloads.  

I think that the problem you have is that people buy home consoles to play detailed in depth games, and this has been the case for the last few generations.  This generation we have been presented with the option to buy smaller games through the PlaySation Store or Xbox Live, which are cheaper and not as intense as disc-based games yet good enough to warrant a good few hours play.  I understand that a lot of people who buy minis will play them on the PSP, but as some people have already mentioned, I would probably rather play a UMD or PS1 game on my PSP.

I had a look at your website and understand why you guys at Futurlab decided to start off with a mini game.  I hope that you can secure enough funding to make and release a PSN game and I will buy it as long as it's of a genre I'm mildly interested in. 

Oh and if you do make a PSN game, try to keep the price below a tenner and I don't mean £9.99!!  After all, some of us view PSN game purchases as risks too!

Finally, I've just watched a video you on youtube of the game, and it seems like my kind of thing, I think this may be my first and last mini purchase.

Despite the bad rep Minis sometimes get, (which is in most cases not the developers fault in my opinion) but rather another case of bad timing and ineffectual advertising from Sony, I have to say that after just searching  youtube for a video demonstrating its gameplay - after seeing 30 seconds of it IM Sold!!!

I would probably spend more time playing a game like this than literally half my library of Bluray titles, that in all honesty iv'e hardly ever played and which were no way worth their RRP, just goes to show that graphical prowess is never of any use unless it is based upon a truly original and compelling game premise along with fluid controls and addictive gameplay, and that is something that Coconut Dodge unequivocally achieves, and why graphics should deffinetly be approached as an appealing enhancement to a game and never the thing of overriding importance,  which is why I will definitely be purchasing this game, and iv'e kindof got a feeling my wife and Son will like this too!

You and your colegues kind Sir give Minis a good name, may we see more mini games of such a high calibre!!! 

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

recurv

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
recurv
Accepted Solution

It's been a while, so I missed this reply, but thank you very much :)

I'm back to see what you folks think of our new minis - Velocity:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/02/09/futurlabs-space-shooter-revealed-music-by-killzone-compose... :)

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel