13 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

Countdown to the PS Vita

[ Edited ]
338 Replies 3,329 Views edited 22-02-2012
03 Jan 2012
By QuietlyWrong

OK, folks, here's a run down with handy links to the messages. Note that some of the data provided might be a little out-of-date by now.

Spoiler

Starting from the 3rd January 2012 – 50 days to go! – I thought I'd count down the days to the Vita's launch in SCEE territories by picking out and highlighting one Vita game per day...

So, without further ado...

days till launch...

WIPEOUT 2048

Sony (SCE Studio Liverpool)

For the first game, I thought it only fitting to select Sony's go-to launch title. Apart from anything else, I need to emphasise here and now that I'm not planning to attempt to sort this list of games in order of epicness or any other category. It would be too hard and too subjective.

I say 'launch title'; Wipeout was a launch title for the original Sony PlayStation in Europe and really helped the new console to make a name for itself in Europe with PlayStation installations in cool and trendy locations. So strong is the association between Wipeout and PlayStation that it's easy to forget that at the time it wasn't a first-party title. But it suited the brand that PlayStation was trying to establish for itself, and Sony was quick to snap up its developer/publisher Psygnosis before the end of the first PlayStation console's market life (and indeed Wipeout 3 had been a PlayStation exclusive). Although there was no launch WipeOut for PS2 or PS3, it was a launch title (as Wipeout Pure) for the PSP in Europe and North America; WipeOut 2048 is a launch title for Vita in Europe and NA and each PlayStation-branded system has at least one version of the franchise (except the PlayStation Suite for Android – though it's only a matter of time).

Since its first instalment, Wipeout has maintained an iconic presence in the world of video games, striving for cutting-edge visuals – both in-game and in menus – and drawing on a strong catalogue of techno and electronica for its audio backdrop. The new Vita game is no exception, with tracks from deadmau5 and Orbital (once again).

Taking a backward step, the game's main career is set (unsurprisingly) in 2048, the earliest date in the franchise, some four years before the supposed setting of the original Wipeout. As a result, as well as the soaring vertical structures that the series is famous for, you'll also see large sections of tracks taking place on ordinary city roads and even over grassy terrain in places. And there are only five classic teams in this 'Season 1' setting: Feisar, Qirex, Auricom, AG Systems, and Pir-Hana. The tracks are reputedly wider, to allow for greater combat possibilities, but presumably also to leaven the difficulty curve and make this one of the most accessible iterations of the series.

A variety of classic and updated game modes are supported (though sadly, no 'zombie mode'), including the much-vaunted online cross-play against PS3 WipeOut HD/Fury players. Look forward to this on launch day!

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Well, I've got nothing better to do until the Home Delivery Network van gets here from its depot two miles away. :xRolleyes:

OK, folks, here's a run down with handy links to the messages. Note that some of the data provided might be a little out-of-date by now.

Spoiler

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: Countdown to the PS Vita

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

xander123

• Beta Tester
92%
03 Rank
Progress
xander123
Accepted Solution
100% agree there. The 22nd can't come quick enough. :)
0 Kudos

Friendly neighbourhood Xander!
@Lysander__

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

days till launch...

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

Drinkbox Studios

Follow-up to the well-received PSN platforming absorb-em-up, Tales from Space: About a Blob, Mutant Blobs Attack features that age-old story of a blob seeking to ingest all of mankind. Or something. Mankind had it coming.

Like Katamari, you start off small and grow larger by ingesting objects that are smaller than you; as you grow, that allows you to absorb larger and larger objects and reach new places. There the similarities end: this blob has character of its own – apparently this one has more attitude than the protagonist of the previous game – and it develops special powers that allow the introduction of more interesting navigation and puzzling. And new touch screen controls are added to complicate the blob’s platforming world – touch and drag or rotate special objects around to create new platforms or provide safe passage through hazardous environments.

Throw in a distinctive, polished graphical style, edgier humour than in the first Blob game and speed-run leaderboards on which to contend with friends and you’ve got a charming and engaging title to download to your Vita. Drinkbox have intimated that they may bring Mutant Blobs Attack to the PS3, in which case they’ll aim to have shared save files that allow you to pick up on one console where you left off with the other.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

thorrx72

80%
02 Rank
Progress
thorrx72
Accepted Solution
Ordered mine yesterday. First time I've preordered a console. I've booked a half day off work, the Other half and my daughter will be out. 8Gb memory card and hopefully uncharted. Very excited! Can't believe there's still 30 days to go.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

katieboo83

80%
02 Rank
Progress
katieboo83
Accepted Solution

22nd is my birthday my ps vita,uncharted & 16gb preorded so hope there will be a midnight release as they are gonna wrap it up for me(my brother-in-law works at shop) the star....can't wait.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MR_COATES

85%
03 Rank
Progress
MR_COATES
Accepted Solution

katieboo83 wrote:

22nd is my birthday my ps vita,uncharted & 16gb preorded so hope there will be a midnight release as they are gonna wrap it up for me(my brother-in-law works at shop) the star....can't wait.

Lucky girl!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Tridentmorph

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Tridentmorph
Accepted Solution
Loving this thread. Well done and kudos given.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

I'm still on the fence about the Vita. From my previous experience with the original PSP. I only ever played the GTA game, at least that's all I remember.

Between the 3DS & my PS3, I'm already playing a lot of games. I'm afraid the Vita will destroy me!

I'm also afraid of another ''failure'' that the previous PSP's suffered, at least that's what I thought. What is Sony doing different now, that they think the Vita will be a success?

Can games be patched? 

Does it use Flash Cards for games?

Why are the memory cards so expensive! It's almost useless to even offer a 4GB card.

The amount of packaging for the games are terrible too. It really should be around the size of a DS game, save money & the environment eh Sony?

I don't know what to do yet!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

goonerrob1104

• Beta Tester
94%
04 Rank
Progress
goonerrob1104
Accepted Solution

this thread is great keep it up kudos given

altjough my wallet is crying got loads more games on my wishlist lol

0 Kudos

follow me on twitter @goonerrob1104

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

katieboo83

80%
02 Rank
Progress
katieboo83
Accepted Solution
hehehe i know!!!!!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

days till launch...

Super Stardust Delta

Sony (Housemarque)

PSN’s favourite twin-stick shooter is back on a portable screen and this time, it’s got a system to match its serious firepower. Finally, we have the first serious portable gaming device with two joysticks and what better way to show those controls off than with a new Super Stardust?

Of course this classic blasting action hasn’t forgotten the Vita’s other inputs. Fire missiles at a target with one tap of the front screen; create a black hole with a touch on the rear pad; shake the Vita to fire an EMP blast; tilt the screen to looks around the planet... And on top of that there are a handful of new Vita-exclusive minigames, including one which requires you to crush your targets by pinching them between your thumb and fingers.

The PS3’s Super Stardust HD is one of the highest rated games on the PlayStation Network, and this Vita instalment looks to be every bit as good as its television-bound brother. With glorious graphical pizazz that explodes on that awesome OLED screen, and nineteen years of gameplay refinement since the original, brilliant Stardust (on Amiga), this is going to be yet another of those addictive pick-up-and-play games that will really help the Vita stand out from other devices. Those of you who have pre-ordered your Vita will get the option to use your discount voucher on this game and the only thing missing is a release date. Originally slated for the Vita’s European launch, the title was mysteriously removed from the PlayStation Blog’s launch line-up post shortly after that was published in late November. But with the Japanese version hitting the SCEJ store last week for 1000 yen, perhaps it won’t be a long wait...

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rmpower2006

81%
02 Rank
Progress
rmpower2006
Accepted Solution

This is a really great post, thanks for all your hard work; I am enjoying checking back every few days to see what you highlight next!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

blu_mackenzie

79%
04 Rank
Progress
blu_mackenzie
Accepted Solution
Super Stardust Delta looks amazing. The PSP one was ok but the controls sucked. With Delta taking after HD and the sa,e controls as the PS3, I have very high hopes for this game. It's going to end up sucking up a lot of my spare time.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

scargman

51%
02 Rank
Progress
scargman
Accepted Solution
I cannot even begin to describe how excited I am about the PS Vita. I've preordered the console with Marvel v Capcom, 16gb card, screen protectors and a case. Day off booked and the wife and kids will be at work / school. Hoping for an early delivery.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

THE_FORCE

• Award Winner
90%
13 Rank
Progress
THE_FORCE
Accepted Solution

scargman wrote:
I cannot even begin to describe how excited I am about the PS Vita. I've preordered the console with Marvel v Capcom, 16gb card, screen protectors and a case. Day off booked and the wife and kids will be at work / school. Hoping for an early delivery.

This is what I like to hear. Dedication ! :thumbsup:

0 Kudos

"It's not about whether you win or lose, it's all about how well you play the game...."

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Oxymoron28

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Oxymoron28
Accepted Solution

Fortunately no wife, or kids (that I know of) and I've got the release day and following days booked off work, pre-ordered WiFi, 16gb and;

Touch My Katamari

Uncharted

Reality Fighters

Rayman Origins

Shinobido

And Everybodies Golf.

also got a punch of PSP games to put on it :3

Cannot wait at all!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Yrag86

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Yrag86
Accepted Solution

I just paid for mine, Got paid today and decided it was best to buy it as soon i got paid so that i didnt end up spending the money. Means the wait for it is going to be even worse.

Ive ordered the wi-fi version, uncharted and the 16gb card.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

days till launch...

Silent Hill: Book of Memories

Konami

Book of Memories marks a significant departure from the core games of the Silent Hill survival horror series. This spin-off shares much of the atmosphere and many of the creatures of the main series, but the action-RPG-esque gameplay is quite different, adopting an overhead fixed-perspective view and allowing up to four players to co-operate in unravelling the mystery of the titular Book.

Start by selecting and personalising a character, then venture into the strange otherworlds conjured up by the Book of Memories, with or without some mates, and prepare for a mixture of survival action, scares and puzzles, with thirteen years’ worth of Silent Hill baddies and (of course) limited weaponry to take them down. Details about Vita-specific features are thin on the ground at the moment, so hopefully more will become clear in the run up to the game’s release.

The Silent Hill series of survival horror games has some very committed fans and it’s impossible for me not to acknowledge the wave of hate comments that this change in direction has evoked from a small but vocal group. (Not that the series proper doesn’t continue – a Silent Hill HD collection and the new Silent Hill Downpour also see release in March this year.) But I think it’s important to judge the game on its own merits, and anyone who has played Lara Croft: Guardian of Light will tell you that the change in perspective and gameplay doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Coming, as it does, from the very capable hands of DSiWare-darlings WayForward Technologies, the game has a great deal of potential.

PS: Four weeks to go!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Spirit0fLight

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Spirit0fLight
Accepted Solution
Hmm, I don't like the style they have used... :( *sigh* & when I saw the title I thought I would have liked this...
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Gambe1984

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Gambe1984
Accepted Solution
Still undecided whether to change my wifi pre-order to a 3g version :( the free wipeout 2048 download makes it very tempting
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

days till launch...

Dynasty Warriors Next

Tecmo Koei Europe

Most reviews of Dynasty Warriors games must inevitably face the problem of the expression ‘one-man army’: it’s a cliché but it is incredibly appropriate for a game in which you take your officer (well, up to five officers in a mission, but you control them one at a time) and mow down literally hundreds of enemy soldiers, building huge KO combos, all to a soundtrack that mixes traditional Chinese with heavy metal music. Between missions, you’ll progress through a story set in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms historical epic about the re-unification of China towards the end of the Han dynasty around 200 AD.

The Vita brings a refreshing wealth of control options to this power fantasy, with various touch controls providing a variety of attack moves, and a neat ‘ambush’ minigame in which you have to tilt the orientation-sensing Vita to view and touch all of your assailants in a short time. Add to this a number of game modes that include full ad hoc co-operative multiplayer and other mission variants that support some online multiplayer functionality.

Dynasty Warriors packs a lot in, aiming to use all of the Vita’s capabilities. Campaign mode, Conquest mode and Coalition mode offer different takes on the mission-based play including a 3G-enabled strategy component (Conquest). Then there’s Gala mode, which features a number of minigames ranging from a sixaxis-controlled steeplechase game to a touch-based calligraphy game by way of a shooting gallery and ‘Musou Snapshots’, in which you get to take photos of yourself with various wacky Warriors stuff overlaid on the pictures. I can only point you to the official site, which has a pretty comprehensive presentation of all the stuff that the game crams in.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rmpower2006

81%
02 Rank
Progress
rmpower2006
Accepted Solution

The silent hill game has me interested, I am a huge fan of the first 3 games (the room was ok), one of the few games to scare me senseless as a teenager and later as a man!! Whilst I hope they make more games like those, it doesn't mean they can't try something else, you are right about the Guardian of LIght; it sounded awful but was awesome! =) This game could be a sure purchase if it gets decent reviews.

Dynasty warriors...hmmm...not for me but I can see the appeal it has to some,sometimes you just want to bash things! I just wish they would do more like romance of the three kingdoms 8 on ps2, that game had a huge amount of content that was very deep, great fun!=)

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel