13 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

Countdown to the PS Vita

[ Edited ]
338 Replies 3,270 Views edited 22-02-2012
03 Jan 2012
By QuietlyWrong

OK, folks, here's a run down with handy links to the messages. Note that some of the data provided might be a little out-of-date by now.

Spoiler

Starting from the 3rd January 2012 – 50 days to go! – I thought I'd count down the days to the Vita's launch in SCEE territories by picking out and highlighting one Vita game per day...

So, without further ado...

days till launch...

WIPEOUT 2048

Sony (SCE Studio Liverpool)

For the first game, I thought it only fitting to select Sony's go-to launch title. Apart from anything else, I need to emphasise here and now that I'm not planning to attempt to sort this list of games in order of epicness or any other category. It would be too hard and too subjective.

I say 'launch title'; Wipeout was a launch title for the original Sony PlayStation in Europe and really helped the new console to make a name for itself in Europe with PlayStation installations in cool and trendy locations. So strong is the association between Wipeout and PlayStation that it's easy to forget that at the time it wasn't a first-party title. But it suited the brand that PlayStation was trying to establish for itself, and Sony was quick to snap up its developer/publisher Psygnosis before the end of the first PlayStation console's market life (and indeed Wipeout 3 had been a PlayStation exclusive). Although there was no launch WipeOut for PS2 or PS3, it was a launch title (as Wipeout Pure) for the PSP in Europe and North America; WipeOut 2048 is a launch title for Vita in Europe and NA and each PlayStation-branded system has at least one version of the franchise (except the PlayStation Suite for Android – though it's only a matter of time).

Since its first instalment, Wipeout has maintained an iconic presence in the world of video games, striving for cutting-edge visuals – both in-game and in menus – and drawing on a strong catalogue of techno and electronica for its audio backdrop. The new Vita game is no exception, with tracks from deadmau5 and Orbital (once again).

Taking a backward step, the game's main career is set (unsurprisingly) in 2048, the earliest date in the franchise, some four years before the supposed setting of the original Wipeout. As a result, as well as the soaring vertical structures that the series is famous for, you'll also see large sections of tracks taking place on ordinary city roads and even over grassy terrain in places. And there are only five classic teams in this 'Season 1' setting: Feisar, Qirex, Auricom, AG Systems, and Pir-Hana. The tracks are reputedly wider, to allow for greater combat possibilities, but presumably also to leaven the difficulty curve and make this one of the most accessible iterations of the series.

A variety of classic and updated game modes are supported (though sadly, no 'zombie mode'), including the much-vaunted online cross-play against PS3 WipeOut HD/Fury players. Look forward to this on launch day!

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Well, I've got nothing better to do until the Home Delivery Network van gets here from its depot two miles away. :xRolleyes:

OK, folks, here's a run down with handy links to the messages. Note that some of the data provided might be a little out-of-date by now.

Spoiler

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: Countdown to the PS Vita

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

days till launch...

...And so much more!

There's something a bit special about the Vita's line up. I've never seen a console launch like it! I thought it was amazing enough that I could pull out a massive total of 50 games announced for the system, let alone the fact that over half of them were new titles created specifically for the Vita (i.e. not direct ports of existing games). But to pull out 50 games before launch and to have so many more left over... Wow!

There are some Vita games that I would have loved to have included. I had placeholders in my list, in the hope that some press release would appear before I reached the last handful of games. But sadly, some of the big name titles remain mysterious for now. For example we know Call of Duty is coming, and coming in autumn, but that’s about all I could tell you at the moment. Bioshock creator Ken Levine has referred to the forthcoming Bioshock Vita game as a ‘pet project’ for his team. Some games – like Killzone and Broken (some sort of mystery adventure?) have been hinted at by news releases and early 'NGP' demo trailers but once again, details are almost completely absent. Then there are games that are just rumours at the moment, like Monster Hunter Portable 3rd... Not to mention plenty of Japanese games that won't even see release in the west – though we can hope (and wish and pray and keep our fingers crossed) for European releases for the likes of Ragnarok Odyssey, Lord of Apocalypse or Tales of Innocence R. Not to mention Sumioni (#04), which was a little speculative, or Final Fantasy XIII-2...

And then, just as I think I'm running out, yesterday news broke of the existence of new puzzling launch title A-Men and the forthcoming release of a Vita version of Retro City Rampage. I can't keep up!

I'll leave you with the list of some of the other games I could have covered here... But I'm sure it's not exhaustive, and who knows what else will be announced in the coming months...

Assassin’s Creed; Bioshock; Killzone; Call of Duty; Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee; LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7; LEGO Batman 2: DC; Michael Jackson: The Experience HD; Putty Squad Vita; Supremacy MMA; The Treasures of Montezuma Blitz; Troopies; Alien Spidy; Orc Attack; Ben 10 Galactic Racing; Dragon’s Racing; Robot Rescue Revolution; Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend; Plants vs Zombies; Samurai & Dragons; Broken; Lord of Apocalypse; Persona 4: Golden; Zone of Enders HD collection; Flying Hamster HD; MLB 12: The Show; Dungeon Defenders; Ragnarok Odyssey; Tales of Innocence R; Bang!

Thank you everyone for reading and for all your encouragement and kind words!

[Pray that my Amazon order arrives tomorrow... Ohs noes! Yodel! =( ]

Hands up those who didn't think I'd make it to #01! :D

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Only joking! :P

You didn't think I was just going to leave it at that did you? ;)

Here's the real countdown entry...

how many more sleeps till Vita?

LittleBigPlanet

Sony (XDev Europe)

When a portable version of LittleBigPlanet was released on PSP, it was a marvellous technical achievement but it was very much a cut-down version of the PS3 original and most critically, there were no multiplayer modes. Now LittleBigPlanet is coming to Vita and this one looks especially amazing; it’s got just about everything that the PS3’s LBP2 packs in – including multiplayer online gaming – and it adds so much more (and I’m not just talking about control options) that it’s more like LittleBigPlanet 2½. OK, the Vita doesn’t have quite the raw horsepower that the PS3 can muster, and that means you won’t be able to play the PS3’s six million user-generated levels, but with some intelligent level design, it can take advantage of the device’s extra memory to pack in even more stuff and has a few tricks up its sleeve that the PS3 LBP community are already getting jealous over.

If you’re excited about LBP, it’s probably not due to the single-player campaign alone, though that’s all present and correct, with loads of levels of inventive platforming goodness and more mini-games to unlock than you can shake a popit cursor at. The Vita’s special capabilities are all there – the game uses the front and rear touch pads to manipulate on-screen objects or to provide an alternative interface for mini-games; movement- and tilt-sensitivity play their role in adding dynamic elements to platforming and puzzles and the thousands of tilt-the-Vita-to-roll-the-ball custom levels that will no doubt appear. In edit mode, full touch functionality is provided, which can speed up your level creation, in addition to the standard stick and button controls which give you precision control when you need it, plus the camera and microphone can be used to capture images or sounds for your level. Logic tools provide you with the ability to use the various touch and tilt functions in your own levels and all the logic gates from LBP2 are present and correct with some new added features as well. Most intriguingly, there is a ‘memoriser’ chip that can be used to remember stuff between levels or between plays, which opens up the custom level creation to a whole new level of power.

And it’s this sheer power of the create mode that’s going to make this an almost essential purchase. The potential is extraordinary. Much of the Vita’s negative criticism has come from commentators enamoured of their smart-phones and tablets and the games that can be purchased for pocket change. Well hold on to your collective hats because the Vita version of LBP is going to be able to recreate a remarkably high proportion of those smart-phone mini-games and you can bet that if a game is popular on phones, someone – probably several someones – will have a go at reproducing it in LBP. Or making a better version. Not to mention all the people who will create wholly novel experiences. (Or other tools, like shopping list helpers, alarm clocks, calculators... Or two million ‘bomb survival’ levels...) And the best thing is that, like the PSP version of the game, you can download your favourite levels on to the Vita's memory card so that they’re immediately accessible whenever you want to play them, regardless of online-ness. By the end of the year, expect to be completely blown away by what some people are able to create and willing to share using this game – there will be thousands of brilliant levels to play, and all for free. Just when I thought the wait for Vita was over, now I'm counting the days until those LittleBigPlanet cards hit the shelves!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

goonerrob1104

• Beta Tester
94%
04 Rank
Progress
goonerrob1104
Accepted Solution
Brilliant well done for keeping it up can't believe only 1 more sleep although I probably won't sleep worrying about if game have my pre order oh well
0 Kudos

follow me on twitter @goonerrob1104

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

damoxuk

60%
02 Rank
Progress
damoxuk
Accepted Solution

Superb feature/article/post run.

Thumbs up from me. :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Agamer2006

• Beta Tester
98%
07 Rank
Progress
Agamer2006
Accepted Solution
Kudos all around, its been a great thread that has helped everyone through the wait :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

DNAtlantic

• Beta Tester
97%
08 Rank
Progress
DNAtlantic
Accepted Solution
Excellent job indeed QW! I read each one from day 59 :) I want so many games but most are expensive! Looking forward to Killzone, LBP and the Zone of Enders HD Collection! Especially that!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ocelot07

97%
06 Rank
Progress
ocelot07
Accepted Solution
Well done QW this thread has been epic.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CAM11

92%
06 Rank
Progress
CAM11
Accepted Solution

Welcome to the world Vita! 

0 Kudos

pablologo

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Pesico

• Beta Tester
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Pesico
Accepted Solution
Great job with the countdown. It's been fun waiting to see what games you would write about.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

trubadman

89%
04 Rank
Progress
trubadman
Accepted Solution

Can't believe how fast 50 days have passed, thanks for this amazing & informative thread!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Superdynamite

33%
02 Rank
Progress
Superdynamite
Accepted Solution

Of course we won't get Pure Chess in the USA because the attention span of Americans is Zero.  Sony will never release it here.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

zinep

86%
07 Rank
Progress
zinep
Accepted Solution

Wow... You're actually doing it -- I am impressed. I hope the forum folks will dig up some kind of forum award for you for this. Have some kudos; it's well deserved.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

zinep wrote:

Wow... You're actually doing it -- I am impressed. I hope the forum folks will dig up some kind of forum award for you for this. Have some kudos; it's well deserved.

Thanks for the kudos... It will keep the thread in the most kudo-ed threads list for longer, which is nice gentle promotion... And double thanks for the 'wow'. :D

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

mike20036

98%
08 Rank
Progress
mike20036
Accepted Solution
Have some kudos on the house from me for doing such a great job on this :)
0 Kudos

Twitter mike20036

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0DuI1sUpocFv_-MMI9zobQ

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bazzz

92%
05 Rank
Progress
bazzz
Accepted Solution

Here is some more Kudos,for the effort and dedication you are putting into this thread.Well done:Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

marcinaldo

48%
02 Rank
Progress
marcinaldo
Accepted Solution

Great idea and great thread :) Hopefully, there is enough great titles to post for the next 40+ days.

Hopefully, the support for Vita will be a lot better than it was for PSP.

I also hope that Sony will add Mac support in time for European release.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Thanks guys! :)

marcinaldo wrote:

Hopefully, there is enough great titles to post for the next 40+ days.

Ah, well, it would have been stupid of me not to check before I started on 50, wouldn't it? ;)

Can't promise they'll all be great though. :p

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

WJB1

92%
05 Rank
Progress
WJB1
Accepted Solution

I was directed here from GD, my last handheld console was a GBA and I couldn't have cared much less about the PS Vita before looking at this thread, but I'm actually tempted to get one now. It'll be very impressive if you keep this up for the full 50 days. Kudos.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Oxymoron28

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Oxymoron28
Accepted Solution

2 Weeks and a gay, COME ON!

Was looking at Unit 13, I like the Socom games (though the PS2 one was the best) and so knowing it's made by the same company got me intrigued. Also in this little Vita book I've got it says you can download a new mission every day or something, so... sounds good to me!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jamesefc

60%
02 Rank
Progress
jamesefc