14 Feb 2013
By mxk1000
Playstation Staff

Playstation allstars 816mb patch

6 Replies 505 Views Created 14-02-2013

816mb update on playstation allstars for the vita because they have bundled all the dlc in to one. Get a grip Sony. I bought the retail version because your ripping off your customers with the price of memory. Now all dlc is bundled together so you are forced to update if you want to play multiplayer. First escape plan is over 2gb now a retail game has a 816mb patch. !!!!!!!!!!

Mad is not the word this is daylight robbery.

Actually feel like selling my vita. Other option is to payout a fortune for memory cards. And if your like me and have 20 retail and 25 psn games patches like these means I’ll need to split my games over several memory cards costing £££££££££££

What happened to the retail games having on board memory for games saves and patches?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (505 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Playstation allstars 816mb patch

It's more than just a basic patch though. You have to remember that there are new levels that have been added and each of those new characters has full animated intros and Sony have given us two free characters for the game as part of the update. This is over 800Mb of extra game content.

Any time a game adds new features - the PS3 included - that content has got to go somewhere. If you downloaded the new characters they'd need to be stored on your memory card anyway but it's a lot easier to store all the DLC as a single download and then unlock it as you want it.

There's no real problem splitting games over several memory cards - I do that with mine and it works perfectly well for me and has given me a lot more storage, a way of keeping games themed easily and if you do decide to stick with a single card (and eventually you'd need more space regardless if you had something like PS+) there's always Content Manager so you can transfer games to your PC to free up space and store games on there that you're not using all the time.

Most retail games do keep save data on the cards, but if you wanted them to keep data for patches on them, then you'd be looking at adding another £10-£15 a game to cover the costs. Imagine Wipeout 2048 needing to store all the track data for Wipeout HD and Wipeout Fury? I have no problem using memory card space for that and I'm sure no-one else does either.

Vita Player - the definitive site for reviews, news and features for Playstation Vita owners
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (464 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

I've got this dlc and yeah big update! Weird bit is on checking my memory card there was more capacity available than before the update! Weird indeed!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (440 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Between this and escape plan thier patches are near 2.5gb for dlc that I have not purchased. 

This has really got me mad. I had to delete content from my card. Just so I could play playstation allstars online. 

Now looking to buy another highly expensive memory card just so I can play the contentthat I have purchased. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (378 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

As I said before, if you're not playing a particular game on a regular basis, just use Content Manager to swap data between your Vita and PC. There's one of the writers on my site who is managing with a couple of 4Gb cards and that's what he does and it works well enough for him and it's allowed him to build up quite a large library of games - PSP, Minis, Mobile and PS1 from the store and take full advantage of his PS+ membership.

Vita Player - the definitive site for reviews, news and features for Playstation Vita owners
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (343 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Some of us dont have the spare time to be using "slow and slower" content manager! 

I can tollerate big patches but only if Sony are making real efforts to bring a 64gb card to market.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (337 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I've never really found Content Manager to be too much of a problem nor too slow and I've used it a lot re-arranging all my cards to maximise the space I've got although I guess that's just me!

I'd guess that we are going to see a price drop of cards soon, higher capacity and licensed third party cards as we saw with the PSP but that took about a year for that to happen as well. I remember struggling with my first 512Mb card for the PSP!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (320 Views)
0 Kudos