06 Dec 2012
Playstation Staff

RPG Games

8 Replies 905 Views Created 06-12-2012

Well I tried asking this question in the RPG part of the forum but didnt get a single answer :smileysad: So I will try here.

Anybody have any recommendations for a good RPG game for the vita?

DOnt bother with monster hunter games tho I tried those and they really didnt get me interested in them for some reason :/

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (905 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: RPG Games

any of the Ys games get a big thumbs up from me, Ys seven is superb, great action based combat and a nice little story to boot, not so heavy on the character development side, but well worth a look. (it is a psp game though).

Persona 4 I think is the only actual RPG ish game out for the vita in the EU atm. I havent played the vita version but the ps2 one was amazing. mix between a great rpg and a dating sim of sorts, very quirky.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (894 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'd vote for Persona 4 too.

I've played it and it is very good but it's not a typical JRPG in that it doesn't follow quite the cutesy anime art style and the tone is quite heavy (dealing with murder and suicide in some instances for example).

Having said that, it's not Skyrim either - it's definitely a Japanese RPG but Teen focused rather than preschool.

P4 isn't officially out in Europe yet but it's a safe import since there's no DLC to speak of. If you're not sure about it, Persona 3 Portable (PSP game) is available but still quite expensive. However that was one of the highest rated PSP games and is good in its own right.

Other than that, there's Disgaea which is more typical JRPG and Ragnarok Odessey which is a Monster Hunter variant so you probably won't like it.

Really the PSP library is the best place to look for JRPGs - they're usually not all that graphically intensive anyway so the nice Vita screen is enough to bump them up graphically.

Rotor.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (887 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

MoltenArmour wrote:
any of the Ys games get a big thumbs up from me, Ys seven is superb, great action based combat and a nice little story to boot, not so heavy on the character development side, but well worth a look. (it is a psp game though).

Persona 4 I think is the only actual RPG ish game out for the vita in the EU atm. I havent played the vita version but the ps2 one was amazing. mix between a great rpg and a dating sim of sorts, very quirky.

Cheers for that :smileyhappy: I dont mind them being PSP games as long as they are in the vitas store :smileyhappy: I will have a look at a few gameplay vids and see if either Ys or Persona 4 are something I would enjoy :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (882 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Ys Seven and Ys Oath In Felghana. Ys Seven got the best soundtrack you'll ever hear on a psp game :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (838 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

since when has any rpg anywhere at anytime been for preschool kids . just cuz the graphics are cute doesn't mean the game is shallow and aimed at kids 4 and under . are you mad rotor head? lol
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (809 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

an overlooked gem is lunar - silver star harmony. i bought it not expecting much but boy is it a really great rpg. its in the same league as final fantasy 6 and chrono trigger.

also try final fantasy 4 complete collection. really great remake

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (669 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

How's about downloading some PSone RPGs? If you like stories about adventures, and nothing too dark, Grandia might be right up your alley. There is, of course, the Final Fantasy games. For something unconventional, there's Vagrant STory, or the Strategy RPG Front Mission 3.

As for PSP, there's Final Fantasy Tactics. Another RPG for the Vita itself, average in every way, but still fun if you're looking for something to pass the time, is Dungeon Hunter. I think there's a demo of that game still on the PS Store also.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (657 Views)
Level 7

Playstation Staff

I'm with Terramax. If you've never played any of the wonderful JRPGs that were available for the PSOne, then the Vita gves you the perfect opportunity to experience them. They may be getting on a bit, but they certainly don't feel dated - and they still look half decent on the OLED screen.

Vagrant Story, Alundra, Grandia, Final Fantasys VII, VIII & IX will give you months worth of play for a bargain price. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (640 Views)
0 Kudos