26 Apr 2012
Playstation Staff

GiffGaff sim for 3G Vita

14 Replies 612 Views Created 26-04-2012

Just a quick question to you kind people to see if anyone has any experience with using a GiffGaff sim card in your PS Vita? I believe you top up £10.00 a month and you get unlimited data usage? Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (612 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: GiffGaff sim for 3G Vita

The second you do that on GiffGaff you will be immediately suspended. The Vita requires that you use one of their Data bundles. Unlimited usage is subject to a strict fair usage policy as they lose a fortune on it. You're better off with their data bundles anyway as they're half the price of Vodafone.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (601 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I see, I will be working out the country next month so with skype coming yesterday it would be an ideal way to keep in touch cheaply.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (586 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Unfortunately their data bundles are UK only. You need credit to do that, then you're back to the hyper inflated price that you'd normally get.

Sorry :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (579 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Ill just have to use all my dole money to put credit on mu Vodafone sim....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (572 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Has anyone actually been banned or had their sim card blocked for this??

I've had a Giff Gaff sim in my Vita since launch and have been using the £10 Goody Bag with ultd internet. I havent had any problems at all. I do sometimes put the SIM in my phone to watch SkyGo also and have sent a couple of texts so maybe thats kept me on their good side.

How do they know what device youve got your SIM in?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (510 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Right, so this thread has got me thinking, and I've done a bit of research.

Basically youre not supposed to use the £10 goodybag in anything other than a phone. This is due to the amount of data used by Ipads, tethering etc.

I'm thinking if you hammer the data they check your IMEI number and make sure its in a phone and not a tablet etc.

I think the reason why I've been able to carry on as normal is that my Vita data usage is tiny (about 50mb - 80mb a month) So i've not flashed up on their computers.

The reason I chose the £10 deal is I want to mainly use it for my phone as a second sim for SkyGo, Iplayer etc. as my Orange contract only comes with 500mb. However I liked the option to also use it in my Vita when not in my phone.

Suppose I'll just carry on until I get hit with a ban!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (506 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

GiffGaff have said publicly on their forum that they ban the top 1% of users who abuse the service. So long as you don't clearly use it for downloading large amounts of data you couldn't keep on the device, like 10GB of Music then you should be okay.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (500 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

strangeplaice wrote:
GiffGaff have said publicly on their forum that they ban the top 1% of users who abuse the service. So long as you don't clearly use it for downloading large amounts of data you couldn't keep on the device, like 10GB of Music then you should be okay.
Since the size of download files over 3G is limited to 20MB I think it would be very difficult to abuse the service.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (489 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

BlackKnightJP wrote:

strangeplaice wrote:
Since the size of download files over 3G is limited to 20MB I think it would be very difficult to abuse the service.

You shouldn't tar every 3G service providers with the same brush ...Three network connected to a Huawei E586 will "lift" these restrictions.... just tried my brothers E586 to download Top Darts demo at very good download speeds.

So an unlocked Huawei E586 connected to a giffgaff sim.... the 20mb limit would probably be bypassed.

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (478 Views)
0 Kudos