Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: GiffGaff sim for 3G Vita

Codey47 wrote:

BlackKnightJP wrote:

strangeplaice wrote:
GiffGaff have said publicly on their forum that they ban the top 1% of users who abuse the service. So long as you don't clearly use it for downloading large amounts of data you couldn't keep on the device, like 10GB of Music then you should be okay.
Since the size of download files over 3G is limited to 20MB I think it would be very difficult to abuse the service.

You shouldn't tar every 3G service providers with the same brush ...Three network connected to a Huawei E586 will "lift" these restrictions.... just tried my brothers E586 to download Top Darts demo at very good download speeds.

So an unlocked Huawei E586 connected to a giffgaff sim.... the 20mb limit would probably be bypassed.

Umm... no. Don't go around accusing people of tarring anything and twisting their words around. Of course if you use an external device yo can bypass the 20MB limit. This thread isn't about such devices but about 3G SIMS used directly in the Vita which is what GiffGaff offer. Since when was I referring to external devices. Besides external devices are hardly practical.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15 (483 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

BlackKnightJP wrote:

Codey47 wrote:

BlackKnightJP wrote:

strangeplaice wrote:
GiffGaff have said publicly on their forum that they ban the top 1% of users who abuse the service. So long as you don't clearly use it for downloading large amounts of data you couldn't keep on the device, like 10GB of Music then you should be okay.
Since the size of download files over 3G is limited to 20MB I think it would be very difficult to abuse the service.

You shouldn't tar every 3G service providers with the same brush ...Three network connected to a Huawei E586 will "lift" these restrictions.... just tried my brothers E586 to download Top Darts demo at very good download speeds.

So an unlocked Huawei E586 connected to a giffgaff sim.... the 20mb limit would probably be bypassed.

Umm... no. Don't go around accusing people of tarring anything and twisting their words around. Of course if you use an external device yo can bypass the 20MB limit. This thread isn't about such devices but about 3G SIMS used directly in the Vita which is what GiffGaff offer. Since when was I referring to external devices. Besides external devices are hardly practical.

Before you start getting excited...it's the device that places the limit...in this case it's obvious

And the external device in question uses a 3G sim ....so it's still perfectly within the subject boundries just deviated from the original tangent... ever so slightly.

In short stop getting over-excited

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15 (482 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Codey47 wrote:

BlackKnightJP wrote:

Codey47 wrote:

BlackKnightJP wrote:

strangeplaice wrote:

Before you start getting excited...it's the device that places the limit...in this case it's obvious

And the external device in question uses a 3G sim ....so it's still perfectly within the subject boundries just deviated from the original tangent... ever so slightly.

In short stop getting over-excited

Actually no you're the one who needs to calm down and chill out. Using an external mi-fi device with a 3G SIM which them transmits the signal wirelessly to the console is not the same as using an internal 3G SIM card in the console itself. As far as the Vita is concerned its connecting to a Wi-Fi device hence it does not limit the downloads to 20MB. An internal 3G SIM will limit the downloads to 20MB.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15 (467 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

PLAY NICE! You're both saying the same thing! A 3G dongle or other device will bypass it as it's designed to work on a higher download limit. The Vita has the 20Mb limit so the external device skips that.

Done!
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15 (455 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

i have the wifi only vita, but if it helps, i just hotspot my phone with a 3 sim in it and have no issues or glitches whatsoever.

and i download everything using it, and i even had a 30 minute video skype chat trouble free.

hope that helps you guys!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15 (448 Views)
0 Kudos