16 Feb 2012
Playstation Staff

How to update a Vita game

5 Replies 420 Views Created 16-02-2012

Interesting bit of info for those who care:

Today, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 received the first title update we've seen for a Vita game -- an update containing the free "Heroes & Heralds" mode. When I tried to load up the game to test online again, I was alerted to this fact, and then kicked out to the main menu.

Having since completed the procedure and updated the game, I thought I would demonstrate how updates are applied on Vita games. Welcome to the future!
Here's what I was greeted with upon trying to sign in within the game, telling me to back out to the LiveArea (a screen the Vita displays when you click on an app's icon, with links to DLC, the manual, etc.) The Vita's built-in screenshot function was disabled while this message was up, hence the hasty phone snapshot.

Here's UMVC3's "LiveArea." The arrow (added by me) is pointing to the button to apply an update. That's a pretty good icon, right? I guessed that was the one for "update," and I was right.

Tap the "update" button and you'll get an explanation of the update, and the option to download it.

You can then follow its progress, like any other download, in the menu at the top right corner of the screen.

Having to back completely out of a game to find and apply the update is kludgey, but once you've figured that out, it's reasonably easy to use. And now that you know how to do it in advance, it'll be even easier.
- - - - -
From Joystiq.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (420 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: How to update a Vita game

Does the update save to the game card or the memory card?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (412 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

At least you can do something else while it updates, so you can update on the go
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (380 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Not sure where it saves actually. To me, the game card would make sense but some title updates can be pretty meaty so what happens if there's not enough room on the card? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (368 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Good find XP :smileywink:

As for where the update data would be saved, I think that it depends on the title. Some games will save directly to the Game card, while others will save to the Vita memory card. But I guess that if the Game card data storage is full, it will save to the Vita Memory card.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (341 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Power Smash 4 had an update the other day too. I think that one was saved to the game card.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (330 Views)
0 Kudos