17 May 2012
Playstation Staff

Is the PS Vita 3G locked?

16 Replies 2,728 Views Created 17-05-2012

Hi,

I'm going to America very soon. So I did a bit of research and found out that the PS Vita 3G is US$299 that's about $100 cheaper than the Australian pricing. So I wanted to know if the 3g model would be locked to AT&T. Please reply I need to know very soon.

Any other question please contact me on Twitter. https://twitter.com/#!/DrPersian

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @DrPersian
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17 (2,728 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Is the PS Vita 3G locked?

I believe in the US it is locked where as in the EU it is not.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17 (2,721 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

It can not be locked unless you are on a contract which you are not so ring the provider and tell them you want it unlocked , they will refuse as they did recently with me regarding a new iphone I purchased but if you have not agreed to a contract it can not be locked.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17 (2,700 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

IrishViper1 wrote:

It can not be locked unless you are on a contract which you are not so ring the provider and tell them you want it unlocked , they will refuse as they did recently with me regarding a new iphone I purchased but if you have not agreed to a contract it can not be locked.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The US ones are definitely locked to AT&T and cannot be unlocked under any circumstances. The UK and EU ones are all unlocked and are never locked to any network. The only time they would be locked is if they sold subsidised under a contract which to my knowledge they aren't.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (2,696 Views)
Level 2

Playstation Staff

The US and Japanese versions are locked to AT&T and NTT DoCoMo respectively.

The EU one is not locked, but Vodafone is preferred, but not forced.

PS Vita owner since 1st April.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17 (2,665 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

To support the others in this thread,

EU PSVita consoles aren't carrier locked. Japanese are tied to DoCoMo and American to AT&T. There is no way to unlock it either. Basically EU Vitas are better ^^
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17 (2,652 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Just to add the Hong Kong ones are also unlocked.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17 (2,622 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

so say i go to a gamestop (usa game shop) and buy the handheld there i can use it in australia?

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @DrPersian
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17 (2,596 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Just check with Gamestop first to see who the initial carrier is and if it can be changed.

In Australia they must be initialised with Vodaphone and you can change carriers after that.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17 (2,587 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Dr-Persian wrote:

so say i go to a gamestop (usa game shop) and buy the handheld there i can use it in australia?

The console itself will work fine but if you buy the 3G model then the 3G will not work in Australia. The US 3G Vita's are locked to AT&T. The games themselves are region free. Just make sure you don't make a US account and wait until you get home and make an Australian account. Also don't buy any games in the US that require an online pass or have/will have DLC. Online content is account specific.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17 (2,573 Views)
0 Kudos