Level 2

Re: Is the Vita too late to save?

I agree, as I wrote earlier, most of the games coming seem to be HD remakes or PSN games. There is very little in the way of high-quality AAA exclusives due for the title beyond COD and Assassin's Creed.

I hope that it's not done already but feel Sony has to act now to save it. Taking the decision to leave Vita out of the Sony conference in favour of 10 minutes of Wonderbook seemed like a negative move for me.
My blog including a little write up about the Vita here -

http://​second-gen-gamer.blogspot.co.uk​ - Give us a read. Thanks
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 44 (364 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

OMG! I've just looked at the forthcoming games for the PS3 and most of them are sequels and remakes as well! What is Sony doing?!?

OMG! Microsoft and Nintendo are doing the same! What the hell's going on?!!?

Oh no, wait a moment... :smileyindifferent:

"I spent 15 years up to my elbows in body fluids and body parts"
                                 -- Soozibags
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 44 (354 Views)
Level 5

QuietlyWrong wrote:

OMG! I've just looked at the forthcoming games for the PS3 and most of them are sequels and remakes as well! What is Sony doing?!?

There's a big difference between sequels and ports of games from 3gens ago.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 44 (348 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

QuietlyWrong wrote:

In fairness, the 360 and PS3 are both consoles approaching the end of their life cycle and both have new additions in big franchises (Halo 4, Splinter Cell, COD, Bioshock) as well as a number of eagerly anticipated new IPs (Watch Dogs, Beyond, The Last of Us, Dust 514).

Vita has two additions to big franchises to look forward to... what else?

I hope that Vita comes good, it's a great console.  I'm just concerned that without intervention it could be overlooked by the hardcore gamer market that it's looking for.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 44 (336 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

I think it's easier for a system to support new IP towards the end of its lifecycle, when the number of active users is at its peak - hence less risky to introduce something totally new. When the user base is fairly small, publishers are less likely to take chances on new IP.

That said, it's probably time for someone to post a list that starts with the likes of Gravity Rush and Sound Shapes, passes through Soul Sacrifice and Smart As and ends over in the PS3&Vita new IP like Snapshot and Battle Royale.

Or do new IPs not count if they don't involve shooting people? :smileytongue:

-- Soozibags
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 44 (330 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

If you read my blog you'll realised how misplaced the comment about shooting people really is and how positive I am about Gravity Rush and the Vita in general.

However, as good as Sound Shapes looks of the other games you mention Soul Sacrifice is very far off (no release date announced for the west) with very few details available and Smart As is a Brain Training game about 6 years after the original of this ilk.

My biggest concern, that sadly isn't addressed, is where are the system sellers? Gran Turismo? God of War? Grand Theft Auto? Final Fantasy? The Vita is a core gaming console that doesn't seem to have enough core games lined up. Without system selling games from Sony then nothing will drive other developers to make games for it.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/05/04/miyamoto-vita-wont-succeed-without-a-stronger-games-lineu... Miyamoto makes a good point and I haven't played a big Nintendo console since the N64. As the article says though, "Let’s hope Sony is preparing to wow its audience with a slew of exciting new Vita titles"

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 44 (320 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

[ Edited ]
yeah, it will fail. sony have not got a clue.

their history is littered will faliure in the console market.

they need to employ some people from here who seem to know more about global videogame marketing strategy than they do.

pmf (sony should be sold to microsoft..)
 photo pmfbik-2.png
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 44 (315 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure who said Sony's history was littered with failures or who mentioned Microsoft being better but even as a Sony fan it's important to note that the PS2 sold over 150 million consoles and the PS3 around 60 million consoles and the PSP has sold around 70 million consoles compared to the DS's 150 million consoles.

With Sony facing enormous losses of 2.9 billion can they afford to continue developing expensive consoles and letting their market share fall as it has done? http://www.marketingallinclusive.com/articole/latest-news/sony-faces-financial-trouble:-it-expects-t...

(By the way, this isn't an argument or a conversation requiring pithy or sarcastic comments. I love the Vita and PS3 and hope very much for it's future, merely trying to spark a debate with an obviously inflammatory title.)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 44 (310 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

padavid10 wrote:
If you read my blog you'll realised how misplaced the comment about shooting people really is and how positive I am about Gravity Rush and the Vita in general.

Touché! :smileyhappy: No, I haven't read your blog. I hardly have time to keep up with this forum as it is.

However my point wasn't exclusively directed at you and these were just examples off the top of my head for forthcoming new IP. Yes, some of it is way into the future, but Sony's marketing strategy is a multiple-year strategy too, as they've clearly stated.

My biggest concern, that sadly isn't addressed, is where are the system sellers? Gran Turismo? God of War? Grand Theft Auto? Final Fantasy?

I guess we've moved away from the new-IP thing at this point? :smileywink:

Each consumer has his or her own preferences for game genres. One man's FF is another one's boredom. (Not mine... I'll be buying FFX HD when it eventually hits the Vita.) Likewise the other games you mention.

I think the system could seriously do with a couple more FPSs (even though I personally loathe the genre) and some serious racing pedigree. One assumes that Polyphony Digital is working on something in secret. It would be mad of Sony not to have them doing so. (Ooh, and NfS:MW on the Vita. I would love to see that! Oh no, wait... 'We’re out in October on PS3, 360 and PC, and you can also play on Vita and iOS' what does that mean?)

LittleBigPlanet Vita deserves to be big. I mean, really big. It looks like LBP2 on PS3, only with more features, and should be entirely capable of replicating, for free, a thousand addictive little phone games as well as grandiose platforming adventures. I just hope Sony realises (in both senses of the word) its potential.

-- Soozibags
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 44 (309 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

I guess we've moved away from the new-IP thing at this point?

Hell, I'd love some new IPs and, as I say, can't wait for Gravity Rush next week.  I just want anything that sells the system though and when internal studios like Naughty Dog turn around and say they don't intend to develop for the Vita then it's a bit of a worry. 

As you say, I assume that Polyphony Digital is working on something but would be sensible to confirm this from Sony's point of view.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 44 (306 Views)
0 Kudos