23 Dec 2011
Playstation Staff

Mem Card REQUIRED ?

10 Replies 613 Views Created 23-12-2011

hey hey

been reading the blog....

whats the deal about some games requiring a memory card ?  is that for game saves or someting else ?

with mem card prices being kinda expensive that feels like the usual "hidden costs" of a handheld.   with games being me card based surely that are ram based and can save games on their own cards ? 

does the vita have any onboard storage or get packaged with a mem card (limited size ofc) for game saves ?

many thanks and happy christmas in advance

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (613 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Mem Card REQUIRED ?

Happy Xmas Mikal.Insert emoticon

There's no Flash Storage on the Vita, so you'll need a memory card for games downloaded from the PSN, or music/videos/pics etc.

It's a bit gutting to know that there will now be NO 32GB available at launch. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (608 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

but there has been a few comments floating about that some games require a mem card. any ideas ?

is one packaged at all with the vita ?

I do want one but i'm still on the fence. sony are never clear and open with features and i'm actually gonna take a backseat this time and hold out for better info and see how it grows.

the requirement for a mem card feels like a punch in the gut and another micro transaction. no game save capability is a glaring (albeit deliberate [/tinfoil hat]) oversight.

games are already on flash based cards so why no save capability and this "requirement" for a mem card ? I understand the psn/digital/dlc side but basic functionality is key to get further than the day one nutjobs (like i used to be) who pay a premium. give it 6 months and there will probably be a value pack with a mem card included.

Joyeux Noel o/
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (602 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Mikal_Drey wrote:give it 6 months and there will probably be a value pack with a mem card included.

There is a Starter Park which will be available at launch which includes a 4GB Memory Card, Pocket Pouch, Protective Film, Card Case, Headphones, and Cleaning Cloth priced at £21.99.

We'll have to see if you do need a card for save data, as I thought that game data was saved on the actual game card itself ? :Confused: 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (596 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

A Vita memory card is "pretty much a requirement", Japanese magazine Famitsu has said in its official PlayStation Vita FAQ.

Kotaku Japan this week reported the following games need a card:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
@Field
Hot Shots Golf 6
Monster Radar
Dream Club Zero Portable

The above applies to physical retail versions of the games. All games downloaded through PlayStation Network will require a memory card for saves.

Today Famitsu reported that a Memory Card is "pretty much a requirement" (via Andriasang). Games that require a card can't even be booted up if you don't have a memory card.

Sauce : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-26-vita-memory-card-pretty-much-a-requirement

been reading up and it does appear that some game will save data to the mem card. IF they do indeed fail to even boot up thats gonna be a shock to some people. I did manage to transatlantic a japaneese website with a list of the games that have the mem card as the save location but goggles was not that great but i'll hunt for more info.

links

http://kotaku.com/5852609/for-some-game-saves-the-vita-needs-help

http://psvitagamer.net/topic/1055-playstation-vita-games-requiring-memory-cards-a-huge-mistake/

http://gamedrillz.com/2011/10/uncharted-golden-abyss-will-require-extra-memory-card-for-save-data/

The following games can saved to the internal memory:

• Asphalt Injection
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
  • F1 2011
  • Dynasty Warriors Next
  • Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru
  • Dark Quest Alliance
  • Army Corps of Hell
  • Shinobido 2
  • Power Smash 4
  • Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend
  • Michael Jackson
  • Mahjong Fight Club
  • Let’s Try Bass Fishing Fish on Next
  • Lord of Apocalypse

The following titles require a separate card:

• @field
  • Uncharted
  • Dream Club Zero
  • Disgaea 3 Return
  • Hot Shots Golf 6
  • Monster Raider
  • Ridge Racer

Sauce : http://gamedrillz.com/2011/10/specific-vita-games-to-require-memory-card-for-saving/

Shinnen omedeto. Kurisumasu Omedeto o/

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (590 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Hmmm bit of a bummer that you need a seperate card for Uncharted and Everybody's Golf ?

These are both day one purchases for me, so looks like I'll deffo need a card. Better start looking to import a 32GB ! 

Edit: or maybe not ! Looking at some of the Japanese prices, it's cheaper to buy two 16GB cards over here !

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (579 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

The annoying thing is being hampered by having a max of 16GB available at launch... just how much storage will that give us? Relatively speaking to the games and apps that the Vita will have. The old addage that you can never have too much hard drive space on your PC...

4GB I will bet will be near useless... Practical for gamesaves and not much more. Just like the 32MB shipped with the PSP was. Good for gamesaves and a couple of mps3. I 'upgraded' to a 4GB card later down the track, which was fine for gamesaves, music and vids, a couple of PS1 Classics... but now that PSP download games are 1.5GB+, it borders on not enough either.

So how good will 16GB be. Might be fine if you buy physical versions of your games. But if you are going to truly take advantage of portability and start downloading your games, I bet it won't take that long to fill

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (561 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Anyone know what is in the travel pack?
I am chuffed I managed to pre order a 16gb men card and uncharted both for £70, got in before the prices were bumped.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (558 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

To hell with the 32GB memory card. Looks like they're in very short supply in Japan so perhaps it's not surprising that they're not being launched with the Vita over here... But it's not big enough. I want a 64GB card.

I have 32GB of storage in my PSP and it's not enough. Demand a 64GB card!

-------
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (550 Views)
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Same here 32GB too small for me, My psp games alone are over 30GB :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (546 Views)
0 Kudos