05 Jun 2012
Playstation Staff

My opinion on the Vita after the E3

[ Edited ]
56 Replies 1,096 Views edited 05-06-2012

I am not satisfied with the Vita, at all.

First of all, I love how they give everything to NA when we payed 50€ more than them for the Vita, and pay alot more probably for the PS3 and other products.

The first thing they announce is NA will get 12 free games with PS+

And they pooped on EU.

They announce Youtube for Vita, but not saying many EU countries are not going to get it... okay

They announce AC III: Liberation. Might be good, but youre saying you want to make a new game, or youre saying you cant port AC3 to the PSV because there is not enough memory to do so?

No gameplay footage? Only a trailer?

Bundled with a 4GB card? Really? Lol, they seemed to learn on putting a memory card inside, and it will probably release at 250/270$.

Battle Stars Royale for the PSV? Sure thats nice, but I want exclusives

LBP2 integration with the PSV? Thats also nice, but how about showing us gameplay of the LBP for the PSV? You guys forgetting something?

Playstation mobile.... ummm... I thought the Vita was more important right now.

COD: Black ops declassified annouced. Thats great, but no release date? No gameplay? What makes you guys think I will wait another year for a decent FPS on a handheld?

Wheres the so awesome Killzone for the PSV? Are you going to release it as late as GT did for the PSP?

The only thing I could enjoy for my PSV was the PS1 classics.

Conclusion: I am this close to sell my Vita. I expected E3 to show some PSV games, but all I saw was 3 games for it, and 1 was not an exclusive. They focus on PS3 and Playstation mobile, but wheres my PSV stuff?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 57 (1,096 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: My opinion on the Vita after the E3

I have to agree that I expected a lot more announcements, although nieve perhaps as I have always been disappointed with Sonys press conferences every since they showed The Getaway on PS3 looking awesome, then canned it.

Pretty much everything announced we already knew were coming, both Vita and PS3 games.  So we are getting a few more cross play titles, good, but do we have to buy both copies?

It also wasn't at all clear how many PSone classic were coming.  They made it sound like only two initially, which is a huge disappointment when people have been expecting to be able to play their PSP back catalog for months now.

I have always tried to remain positive about Vita, I still won't be selling it, but at this rate I will only be getting Little Big Planet and Gravity Rush this year - then will be left with a huge void.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 57 (1,090 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I was going to get both of those too. But I will resist to that and sell it. Sony had a chance to make me more confident, but we didnt see anything.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 57 (1,087 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

The problem is developers have to take a huge gamble to make a PS Vita game because the market is tiny compared to the PS3/Xbox market.  Its a lose lose situation as without games the console won't sell and if it doesn't sell it will never be a decent sized market. 

Nintendo had the same problem with the 3DS until big games like Mario Kart came out and sold enough consoles to show developers/publishers that there is money to be made.  Although this is also why I would expect Sony to be showing some love for backwards compatibility as that helps to sell consoles on the condition you can use your existing games library until the real killer titles come out, while benefitting from the few games that ARE out and the improved hardware. 

If I were Sony I would be working damn hard to get all digital PSN games that the PSPgo was compatible with to work on the Vita for that very reason.  I know first hand that DS games propped up the 3DS in its early months,  I myself was just using it to play Pokemon with a better picture than my old DS Phat until Mario Kart came out. 

I am seriously let down by the fact I can't play the Burnout PSP games on my Vita because juggling two different portable consoles is no fun and I had serious ergonomic issues with the PSP that prevented me from playing those games properly.  I understand there being issues preventing some games working at first, but months have passed and no news on this being fixed, really not impressed.

Like I said, I'm not going to spit my dummy out and sell my Vita, its still good for what it does.  But Nintendo set the expectation that a portable console remains compatible with the games of the previous generation and Sony dropped the ball on getting all PSP/PSone games working - after promising they would.  The LEAST they could do is keep us informed about the progress, it concerns me that they might have just given up on making any more PSP games compatible as we are far past the point of "more soon" and even THAT was only mentioned in the US blog not the EU one.

Telling us we will be able to play two PSone classics soon is hardly the most promising news either.  With all the that has passed and the lack of news, I expected them to have the PSone emulator working for a lot more than two games by now.  But perhaps they just explained badly and it will work with most of them?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 57 (1,066 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I see the US even had their second batch of PSP games added and a list of "coming soon":

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/15/more-psp-titles-and-minis-coming-to-ps-vita-starting-today...

Then again I believe more PSP titles work in the US than the EU to begin with.

I always figured people were exaggerating when they said the EU is treated like crap by Sony but its looking more and more to be an accurate conclusion to me.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 57 (1,060 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Yeah, sell it. How dare they not give you exactly what you want? how dare they try to consider the broad range of tastes that gamers have around the world? how dare they release a console without all your needs catered for?

The meanies.

pmf (first world problems)
 photo pmfbik-2.png
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 57 (1,026 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Worst E3 ever! I wanted soo much more for the Vita but Sony blew it big time.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 57 (973 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Stunning vita line up..... glad I have one now, although not a fan of Lbp or assasins creed !  I expect Black ops will never see the light of day given Sonys record at this event......... always the Last of us to look forward to on ps3  though....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 57 (967 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Same thing here i didn't find any thing good for PSVITA owner @E3 2012.

AC3: Girly mode is a no go for me.

And PS1 on PSVita will be great in the US, but in Europe we are still going to have this insane 50hz mode, hasardous translation for non english PSN.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 57 (932 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

It was pretty poor Vita wise. Too much time wasted showing Book of spells & talking about mobile phones.

I was expecting lots of Vita stuff, but maybe thats what TGS is for? I'm not sure.

Check out my Podcast. The Fellaship Podcast.
TFP On iTunes

TFP On Facebook
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 57 (897 Views)
0 Kudos