25 Feb 2012
Playstation Staff

New apps

16 Replies 661 Views Created 25-02-2012

What new apps would you like to see on the vita, for me possibly an email client and zynga poker.

Im sure more will arrive eventually....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17 (661 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: New apps

I thought about email myself, but then I thought - wait a minute, this is the very thing they were trying to avoid...being in the market of iphones and other non-games-console devices.

I think maybe email is a bit too 'work' for me! lol

That said, if you do want email, use a webmail service through the browser!

Apps I'd like to see...hmmm...dunno, maybe we need to remind ourselves what this thing is?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17 (653 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

All I want is a way to stream media over the local network. Be that in the form of a separate application or built into the current ones.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17 (648 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Haha true, I wouldnt have my works email on though its bad enough on my phone lol... I know its a gaming machine but more variety the better :smileyhappy: At least you have a choice then.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17 (648 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I would like a utube player/client for starters.
And a video player able to play live streams from the web. If we got this, then i will never think of the word pads again.

Alternatively, they could just upgrade the browser with flash support.
A pdf/crb reader wouldnt hurt either.

The rest can be made with updates/upgrades, particularly, i want more options on the music player, esp for the list.
Support for subtitles on the video player.
A broader role for the chat/messenger app, supporting at least one between yahoo/hotmail/gmail or facebook chat+games.

This is how we compete with pads!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17 (624 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

DrChronis wrote:

This is how we compete with pads!

That is exactly what Sony must not do with Vita. Sony has it's own range of tablets for that stuff - to do well with Vita, they must focus on its strengths and that is gaming and gaming related features.

All the social stuff is fine, as long as its game focused. Youtube - not bothered - but if it takes development resources away from gaming related stuff then I'm not in favour.

As it happens Sony have just said that Skype and Browser updates are due "soon". Skype seems irrelevant given the party chat system Sony have. Browser updates are nice if it means the browser can be used to search for game related stuff quicker and while in game.

Rotor.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17 (615 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

YouTube!

Imagine being able to record a fight from Tekken, or Call of Duty, or a replay from Fifa, and you can then upload it to the YouTube App.

The more i use Vita, the more i notice it really needs a video sharing app, and i reckon YouTube is the one.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17 (610 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I disagree, i believe that vita must compete with them, as they compete with it, of course the focus will be on gaming, but even psp had more feature, the vita has the capabilities to offer enough of the pad needs and help the ones having the dilemma what to buy, to turn to it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17 (594 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

DrChronis wrote:
I disagree, i believe that vita must compete with them, as they compete with it, of course the focus will be on gaming, but even psp had more feature, the vita has the capabilities to offer enough of the pad needs and help the ones having the dilemma what to buy, to turn to it.

Well fine. If someone was trying to decide whether to get  a Vita or an iPad I'd tell them to get neither and do some more research since they don't understand what the devices do.

To put it another way, there is no comparison between Vita and iPad - they're entirely different devices with different purposes.

Trying to shoehorn iPad features onto Vita is like fitting a Saxo with a rear wing - it's still a Saxo and it'll never be a Ferrari (i'm not saying the Vita is to an iPad what a saxo is to a Ferrari btw).

Rotor.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17 (590 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

I would really love a Spotify one, I would never touch my mobile then but it will never happen due to Music Unlimited :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17 (587 Views)
0 Kudos