07 Jan 2012

Playstation Staff

PS Vita Got it All Wrong

9 Replies 618 Views Created 07-01-2012

Is it me or did sony go about the PS Vita the wrong way?

Let me explain

Currently the handheld market is split by Nintendo, Sony, Apple/ipod touch/Iphone/ipad, and Android based phones and tablets. Many or some of you may not consider ipod touch or phones as gaming devices but they are. I see a lot of people playing on their phones and ipods playing games that are 99 cents cheap are addicting and fun. You also have games like chaos rings, Zenonia, FFTactics, Infinity blade and various other "hardcore games". The ipod touch is also pretty cheap at around 199$ and can fit in your pocket easily.

Touch screens aren't the best controls but they still work. Apple has gotten the mass market of casual gamers to play games for cheap and still have fun.

Now where sony went wrong

I think they were to ambitious and didn't take into account other factors within the gaming sphere of the handheld market and over all world economy. Countries are in recesion and people may not be able to afford a handheld at 249.99(wifi) with handheld games at 49.99$ or 39.99$. I think sony should have been more conservative and go the PSP go type structure with the sliding game pad. Slice the speakers and put them at the bottom side of the phone. So that the device would be smaller. Add touch screen.

So basically a Xepria Play but slightly thinner with a game cartidge slot and 2 analog sticks. With graphics that are capable of playing ps2 classics. New games would be priced at 19.99 to 29.99 with downloable games that are cheap and hopefully fun to play. But how hard is it to port fruit ninja and angry birds lol. The system would be priced at 169.99 or 199.99. Hopefully they even make profit out of every system. Would be much cheaper to develop for and Im sure it would sell like hot cakes.

Basically my point is sony got to ambitious and it might bite them on the rear end. I really dont want that for them.

Anyways thats what was on my mind hope it wasnt too much.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (618 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: PS Vita Got it All Wrong

First of all welcome to the forum.

First time here?

With all due respect - Infinity Blade.....hardcore ? Admittedly it 'looks' great, but that's the only positive. It's one of the most overrated and repetitive games on any platform in recent years. All you do is swipe your finger back and forth, then rinse and repeat. The devs didn't even treat their paying customers to a different environment to get bored in !

If that game was released on any other platform, then it would be torn to shreds - even at it's low price, but there's so much crap on the app store that I suppose it's amongst good company ?

As for touch screen controls 'working', for 95% of games that have even a smidgeon of depth - they don't. You mention Zenonia, and this is a prime example of how a virtual touch screen joystick is a less than poor substitute. It doesn't feel natural, is completely unintuitive, and having the controls on the screen gets in the way of the gameplay !

The only games that lend themselves well to touch screen devices are the admittedly excellent Broken Sword/ Myst type genres or the obligatory Angry 'yawn' Birds type of drivel. But then it seems that the new generation of gamers (though I use that term loosely) are completely satisfied with those 5 minute wonders which beggars belief.

As for Sony 'going wrong'....I fail to see how ?

They've created the most powerful and desirable handheld gaming device to date, which puts any and every other touch screen effort to shame.

As for pricing, when the PSV was first announced everyone was envisaging a huge premium to be paid for so much power in such a small device. Then we were all surprised at the relative value for money we'd be getting at it's current RRP.

But now at this late stage, all of a sudden it seems that some people still aren't happy with how much it costs. If it was 50 quid cheaper people would still be moaning lol !! *rolls eyes* Those same people are also quite content to pay more than twice what a PSV costs, for a mobile phone !!

As a conclusion, I applaud Sony for offering us this slice of electronic wizardry, and not following the current trend of 'touch-screen-fun-for-30-seconds-then-losing-the-will-to-live' crap that the youngsters seem to consider gaming nirvana.

Oh, and it has physical controls:cloudnine:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (603 Views)
Level 8

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
Troll-lol-lol-lol-lol !...

I have the iPhone an I admit the apps are pretty rubbish, & none hold the interest of a player for very long. Kinda like freebie online flash games).
& yeah any game with virtual controls is ridiculous to play on it.

The pricing is fine in my opinion my phone costs over 2-3 times what the Vita costs & this applies to many with a latest gen mobile phone.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (595 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Ugh... what people seem to often overlook is.... the ability to play games on on other i/android platforms is irrelevant..

The appeal of a unit like this is the ability to play slimmed down versions of PS3 games... yeah, sure, Lumines might be one of the most addictive early PSP games, but buyers of Sony handhelds want to be able to play the sorts of games they play on PS3 while on the move.... Uncharted, Marvel vs Capcom, Final Fantasy... since when was that taken up by the i/android market? Combine that with remote play and cross play of the PS3...

It won't appeal to the masses, so of course the numbers will never stack.... I'm not even convinced it is fair comparing it against Nintendo products... when Microsoft release a mobile Gears of War/Forza playing handheld, then we might have something to compare on the table...

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (587 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Spirit0fLight wrote:
Troll-lol-lol-lol-lol !...

I wonder which one of our regulars this alt account is !  

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (577 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Who puts the dollor sign in the wrong place every time:Wink:

Is that a Google translate error.

I don't care about it normaly but to do it wrong every time.

LOL 

Any point this troll was try to make just went out the window.  

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (563 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I think this is a very interesting discussion, there are points for and against whethet the Vita is indeed expensive.  I for one think it is a bit, but thats my personal opinion, and despite this I'll still be getting it on day 1.  

I do however think that it if it was at the PSP price point, it would sell much more, but then more sales doesn't necessarily equate more profit especially at the beginning of the product life cycle.  

As somebody has already mentioned the iPhone is so much more expensive, yet I never compare the prices of the Vita with the iPhone, but just look at other portable games consoes.  Most iPhone games have no depth, and if they do the game experience is usually let down by the lack of buttons, maybe they should make a controller for it!

Apps/mini games have a time and place, and I don't mind them being available to download on the PSP Vita, which will aready happen with the PS mini's, at the same time if someone wants to play angry birds why don't they just do it on their phone.  

With regards to Vita game prices, I think £30 would be the best RRP, £40 seems a tad expensive for what in essence may be a great experience, but if the PSP games are anything to go buy; will probably be a much shorter one.

In conclusion, I feel that the Vita is a niche product, I hope it is not so niche that it has a negative impact on game development.  But one thing is for sure, the casual market has definitely eaten into potential sales, for whom the majority will feel that their smartphone will make do with regards to providing a portable 'gaming' experience.  At the same time who knows whether this section of people would've opted for a Vita or 3DS if they deemed their phones insufficient.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (534 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

remember the iphone is an all round device, not just for gaming.

i do think the price is slightly pushing it, but thats how it will always be with releases.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (510 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

This post features my own opinion.

Anything Apple orientated is always overpriced. I still can't believe they boast of using one piece of metal in a £500.00 phone. At that price it should have all the metals available and even diamonds. All mobile phones these days are mass storage devices with a text and phone function; so anything different from that I welcome it and that goes for Vita as well.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/69344 - Please sign

To PlayStation... Semper Fidelis
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (505 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I think people forget that there is not any one solution for all for everyone. iPhone will suit some, Vita will suit others.

Most of us on here are on the Vita side than iPhone but I bet most of us have tried an iPhone game.

I'm going to be a day one Vita buyer with a few games yet I have an iPad and yes I do play games on it. It's an ok experience for quick games but personally I just prefer to get my PSPgo out for a proper experience.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (451 Views)
0 Kudos