14 Feb 2012
By mezzor
Playstation Staff

PS Vita Sim card?

30 Replies 17,709 Views Created 14-02-2012

I have an Orange micro sim that I pay monthly for a data plan I used to use in my iPad, will this work in the Vita or do I have to use Vodafone?

Secondly, do they use Micro sim cards or the standard sized ones?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 31 (17,709 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS Vita Sim card?

It's the standard sim cards, and as far as I can tell, I think the only carrier for the 3G at the moment is Vodafone. You could always trial and error though when you get yours.
Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 31 (17,703 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

you can use any network with the Vita, but as far as i know, it uses standard simcards and not micro sims
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 31 (17,693 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Vodafone is the preferred 3G partner for Sony but the Vita is not locked for 3G you can use any 3G provider that has a compatible SIM and data plan for the Vita. Whether Vita specific data plans need to be used or any data plans will work hasn't been made clear.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 31 (17,683 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

what aaronsimo said, standard mobile sims, and at the moment, vodaofone is the preferred/tested network for the vita, but there's nothin stoppin you tryin your own network...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 31 (17,682 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

What I don't want to do is buy a 3G and my sim not work in it as I would want to exchange it for a wifi model.

My Local stores (Game and Gamestation) say the sim slot is locked and so I can't try my sim before I buy to see if it works...

I have called Orange and the guy on the desk had never heard of a PS Vita so that was a dead end.

Seems like I'm in a bit of a predicament :-(

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 31 (17,561 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

mezzor wrote:

I have called Orange and the guy on the desk had never heard of a PS Vita so that was a dead end. 

Most people haven't heard of it unless you're a gamer like all of us. It's not been well advertised.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 31 (17,553 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

True. But with it offering 3G coverage you would have thought they would at least have the basic knowledge as to whether their sim would work in it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 31 (17,540 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Get the 3G anyway if you really want, as the Vodafone sim for the Vita is pay as you go, so it's not contract, so if your Orange sim card works, you won't have to pay for the Vodafone sim card

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 31 (17,534 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I would but my Orange Sim is on contract and I'm paying £27 a month for it which is why If it doesn't work then i'll just go for the wifi model.

I dont want to have to use PAYG as I'm already paying for it technically on my Orange sim.

Is the 3G model actually worth it anyway? I mean, can you use it to play online with some games or is it just for the location feature and/or maps?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 31 (17,525 Views)
0 Kudos